You&Me

Desperate to find work!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I came to the US on a K1 and in November of last year I finally got my green card, so I immediately started looking for work, but I am having such a hard time! I have ample experience in office settings, I have worked as an administrative assistant, executive assistance, and even paralegal. I have 6 years experience in the area. I think my English is quite good as well, so that should be no problem.

I have obviously tailored my Resume to the US standards, however, I have no work experience in this country, I have never worked here. I never mention on my resume or any cover letters I send that I'm an immigrant on a green card, but it should be pretty obvious by looking at the "previous employment" section of my resume. If asked for references I also have a hard time since i've had no work here.

Another problem I encounter is when trying to register with online staffing agencies. Their online applications are not tailored for anyone who is not an American citizen...for example, when asked for previous employment, it will ask me for a city, then it will have a drop down menu to select a state, and these are mandatory answers I cannot skip, otherwise I cannot continue with the application. I have encountered this problem so many times I have lost count. I tried going in person to some of these agencies and filling out a paper application but I have never heard back, and in one occasion they were extremely rude, and told me if i was having a hard time finding a job maybe I should go back home. I was very sad, extremely distraught, I could not believe it. After that I'm starting to think maybe people just don't want to hire immigrants?? I can understand it I guess...

But I have been applying for anything and everything I can find: waitressing jobs, hostess, bartender, office assistant, housekeeper...I respond to several adds a day, I am not picky, I apply to just about anything I can. I have also been going in to restaurants and bars and dropping off my resume, in case they will need someone in the future, even if they're not hiring. What am I doing wrong? I can't even find a job through some of my husband's and father-in-law's acquaintances.

60+ resumes sent since November, not one phone call...when is it ok to start despairing? sad.png

Oct 2009 Met online
Freb 2010 Proposal!!tongue.png
January 14th 2011 Visit to the US
May 22nd 2011 I-129F sent!
August 22nd 2011 NO2 received!!
September 2011 Stephan meets the parents smile.png
December 6th 2011- Interview date set for December 15th (WOOT!)

December 30 2011 APPROVED!!!!

January 4th 2012- Visa received smile.png

June 11 2012 Entered US

August 13 2012 heart.gif MARRIED heart.gif

Adjustment of Status

June 19th 2013- Mailed AOS/AP/EA

July 2nd 2013- NOA1 received

July 8th 2013- Appointment notice for biometrics

July 19th 2013- Biometrics appointment

July 29th 2013- USCIS status from Initial Review to Request for Evidence (I-485)

July 31st 2013- RFE received in the mail

August 9th 2013- RFE reply sent by mail

Augist 29th 2013- I-765 status changed from Initial Review to Card Production

September 9th 2013- EAD/AP card received by mail

October 21st 2013- GC APPROVED!

November 4th 2013- GC received

September 26th 2015- Mailed I-751

October 1st 2015- NOA1 received

October 19th 2015- Appointment notice for biometrics

October 30th 2015- Biometrics appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Hang in there, it can take a while to find a job. Have you considered doing an unpaid internship or volunteering so you can at least get a local reference?

Timeline

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Hang in there, it can take a while to find a job. Have you considered doing an unpaid internship or volunteering so you can at least get a local reference?

That's an excellent idea, and my husband thought of it as well, so I have tried finding something of the sort. I cannot believe they don't need volunteers at animal shelters or homeless shelters! But that's all the replies I have gotten so far...

Oct 2009 Met online

June 11 2012 Entered US

Adjustment of Status

July 29th 2013- USCIS status from Initial Review to Request for Evidence (I-485)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

My husband had to start in a gas station. He now works there part-time and as a security guard part-time. He had a job for a couple of years as a vet. technician but quit that so he could go to college. He was a veterinarian in his home country but that means nothing here.

Don't give up and ignore those ignorant people who look at you as an immigrant. Keep trying and maybe list a friend or neighbor as a reference.

That's an excellent idea, and my husband thought of it as well, so I have tried finding something of the sort. I cannot believe they don't need volunteers at animal shelters or homeless shelters! But that's all the replies I have gotten so far...

I believe volunteering helped me finding a job (which I only just got and've been searching since November too). Do a google search for volunteering in your area or check local newspaper for them. Check with local school, church, hospital, museum, town hall. Call and ask to speak to a person that deals with volunteers. I also cannot believe they would pass on a free help opportunity.

With regards to a paid job, I'd skip the immigrant on a green card part. It's now part of the recruitment process for them to confirm you have right to work in US.

I have had similar problem with office jobs just make sure you highlight the experience that matches a job description. Change your resume for a specific job types, don't send a generic one.

If you cannot register online with recruitment agencies go and see them in person!

Good luck, hope you'll find an employment soon.

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: Timeline

The best way to find a job is to become socially active in a face-to-face setting and meet people. If you have a hobby find a local club or group that enjoys doing what you like to do. If you're in a restaurant or bar strike up a friendly conversation with your server. You've already seen that just sitting at your computer and sending inquiries and resumes doesn't work so well. You must assimilate into American society by meeting people who can become good leads to finding a job.

The economy is severely depressed in Montana, so it will be hard. You and your husband both need to be asking around about jobs. Going in person to apply is better than online, as well.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kenya
Timeline

i am having the same problem !. i thought its just me and i felt really desperate. the next day i got a call from jc penny since i had applied online and even though i did not take that job since they want someone who can work all shifts including evenings weekends and holidays i was so happy and i was encouraged to see someone can employ me. the lady was nice and she said if they get to hire day shift she will contact me. hope this encourages you.

most people though go to colleges here after relocating right now am just not ready for that

I am in the same position too. Been trying to look hard for jobs that need my skills. Not hearing from them makes me depressed most of the time. However, hearing from one of them actually gave me hope. I think I might have messed up the interview but here's hoping I hear from them within the week. Don't lose hope. I had my resume looked at by an agency and she made some changes. Keep networking and try asking for people around you if they know any jobs you could apply too. You're not alone, a handful (if not all) are having the same trouble too. Maybe have some back up plan and get some classes or certificates or, in my case, I plan on working online if within the next 6 months I still have no luck.

K1 Visa Timeline

• xx-xx-2005 - Met in an online creative writing forum for anime (Yes, we are nerds. Awesome ones, at that.) Became friends ever since and chatted mostly on YM. Our characters' names were Kumi and Drake.
  • 11-20-2011 - We became a couple.
  • 05-16-2012 to 05-25-2012 - First visit
  • 11-08-2012 - NOA1
  • 12-11-2012 to 12-18-2012 - Second visit
  • 05-08-2013 - NOA2
  • 06-13-2013 to 06-14-2013 - Two-day medical exam; passed!
  • 07-19-2013 - He visits again to be with me for the interview
  • 07-22-2013 - Interview date / APPROVED!
  • 08-01-2013 - Seattle POE
  • 08-02-2013 - Arrived in MO.
  • 09-01-2013 - Married!

AOS Timeline

• 10-01-2013- Sent AOS/EAD/AP in.
  • 10-10-2013 - NOA1 Date
  • 11-05-2013 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 12-05-2013 - EAD/AP: approved
  • 12-17-2013 - Combo card received
  • 01-10-2014 - Notice of Potential Interview Waiver case
  • 01-24-2014 - Card production
  • 01-29-2014 - Card mailed
  • 01-31-2014 - Permanent Residency Card received
  • 05-05-2014 - Job offer

ROC TImeline

• 10-26-2015- Second Anniversary of Permanent Residency
  • 11-03-2015 - Sent I-751 application
  • 11-05-2015 - NOA1 Receipt Date
  • 12-04-2015 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 05-18-2016 - Card production

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

add this line in yer resume:

Legally able to work in the USA without visa sponsership.

-----

report back, after submitting yer resume out to 20 places this week, and I'll give you another assignment for 'how to chase that job'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

The best way to find a job is to become socially active in a face-to-face setting and meet people. If you have a hobby find a local club or group that enjoys doing what you like to do. If you're in a restaurant or bar strike up a friendly conversation with your server. You've already seen that just sitting at your computer and sending inquiries and resumes doesn't work so well. You must assimilate into American society by meeting people who can become good leads to finding a job.

I never said I "just" sit at my computer sending inquiries and resumes. In fact I said I have gone to several places in person and applied, including staffing agencies... I don't sit here at the computer waiting for a job to fall out of the skies.

I am in the same position too. Been trying to look hard for jobs that need my skills. Not hearing from them makes me depressed most of the time. However, hearing from one of them actually gave me hope. I think I might have messed up the interview but here's hoping I hear from them within the week. Don't lose hope. I had my resume looked at by an agency and she made some changes. Keep networking and try asking for people around you if they know any jobs you could apply too. You're not alone, a handful (if not all) are having the same trouble too. Maybe have some back up plan and get some classes or certificates or, in my case, I plan on working online if within the next 6 months I still have no luck.

I am definitely going back to college here! But I was hoping I'd have at least a part time to help pay for it. Living on just 1 income is hard, not a lot to spare to pay for school at the end of the month. Meanwhile, I do some freelance graphic design as well, but it doesn't pay the bills just yet.

add this line in yer resume:

Legally able to work in the USA without visa sponsership.

-----

report back, after submitting yer resume out to 20 places this week, and I'll give you another assignment for 'how to chase that job'.

I will try this, thank you!

I know a lot of people here, and my husband has many friends and acquaintances and regularly asks them if they know of any jobs. Through those people I have been able to apply to several jobs, but have not heard back. The worst thing for me is not being ablet to contribute to paying for our living expenses. It really makes me feel pretty useless!

Oct 2009 Met online

June 11 2012 Entered US

Adjustment of Status

Timeline

seriously, report back after 20.

I've the next lesson for you (and yer husband is gonna bang his skull that he not tell you)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

seriously, report back after 20.

I've the next lesson for you (and yer husband is gonna bang his skull that he not tell you)

Not a lot out there this week, but I dropped off 4 in person and sent 8 or so in. I heard back from one place but...it was a scam!...I see a lot of those out there :P

Oct 2009 Met online

June 11 2012 Entered US

Adjustment of Status

Timeline

ok - so that's 12, and we're sneaking into Thursday.

[this isn't the next step]

you posting on careerbuilder.com ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband's first job was in Walmart. It sucked but after literally applying for hundreds of jobs in his field no one would hire him with no US experience in his field. After 5 months of searching he started in Walmart. He worked there for 5 months and applied for an internship in his field, which he got. It was a paid internship(small hourly wage) and after 4 months they hired him permanently. He now has a great job with a great salary and very good benefits. So if given the chance an internship is a great idea.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.