corvusheart

Immigration Lawyer speeds up Process

59 posts in this topic

So my fiancee from England and I went to go pursue a immigration lawyer, he agreed to take us on as clients and we are starting the paperwork for the K-1 fiancee visa. He says the process will take 6-8 months. He's the boss and owner of the Law Firm. Has anyone else gone with a immigration attorney? If so, what was your experiences?

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

From reading this forum for over 8 months I can conclude generally that lawyers are not necessary unless you've got a hard case, like one of you has a criminal record or if the beneficiary has ever overstayed a visa or similar issue.

Lawyers in fact will slow down the process. I've read many people on here who didn't find VJ.com until after they paid their lawyers, talk about how much they regretted it.

event.png

I have seen a couple of post that VJ-er uses attorney and guess what? Some of them got RFE!!

Pretty sure you can read the forms and the guides here and it is exactly the same thing the lawyer would do for you.

Well, unless your case is complicated then you will probably need one.

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Don't do it.. They don't care as much as you do... You're just a number , waste of time and money .. Wish I didn't use one . Use this site and you'll be fine

I don't doubt your lawyer is competent and smart. But all they really do is help you compile the initial petition and they are pretty useless with any other part of the process. Better to cut the middle man and try it on your own. Everything is pretty straight forward. At least you don't have to wait for your lawyer to get updates on your case. You hear and see everything first hand.

Lawyeers are useless, my fiance and i started the process alone and we were approved in 4 months.

All you have to do is read well the instrutions and send all they want to uscis and wait .

A lawyer is going to do the same thing.

You can do that, unless you have criminals records or your fiance, beliveme lawyer are useless if you follow the instructions.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

none of us can tell you not to use an attorney because we are not attorneys .........

an attorney can not speed up your case.....at this part of the immigration process they can only send in your documents for you .........if you have something that you feel could be a problem for your case you need to talk to an attorney before doing anything else if not then you can follow the guidelines on this forum.....many people have had successful immigration following them.......others didnt feel comfortable filling out the paper work so they hired an attorney to do everything for them

my personal experience with using an attorney for K-1 ,,,,,,,,,took two years just for noa2 because he did not address the two issues that made us seek him out in the first place.......he also could not or would not help at the interview stage.....because of the mess the K-1 was when i file for CR-1 its in my best interest to hire a very knowledgeable attorney as im afraid the mess with my previous fiances K-1 will spill over onto this petition

just my opinion

sara

An attorney does not get a pass to the fast lane. Many feel it slows them down slightly because the info must go back and forth between client and attorney. He may not do things as timely as you would. The second part of the process happens in London. That embassy has changed their procedure so many times in the last few months that it is doubtful that most attorney's have that London specific knowledge unless he specializes in handling only UK fiance cases. We have a UK specific forum with a strong knowledge of London tips and tricks. If you have absolutely no time or skill or interest in being involved in your own case, then pay a lawyer to do it for you. It's not rocket science to do it yourself, but it requires reading comprehension.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

One of my friends on VJ told me how she was regret her fiance hired a lawyer who handled their I-129F. Worst part, when her fiance got a letter from NVC, the petitioner is her fiance lawyer's name that written on it!ohmy.png

Since the lawyer handled everything so everytime you get updates, the first hand will get notification is your lawyer. People who hired lawyers they mentioned can't moving forward since all documents went to their lawyers. As long as you don't have complicated case that need an immigration lawyer, is better to save up money for other things.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I used a lawyer for my husband's CR1 case and I really regret it. He cost me 5K and we still ended up getting an RFE. He also screwed up our petition at the NVC stage by forgetting to pay the fees.

August 4 2012: filed i130

December 5 2012: noa1

May 8:2013: noa2

June 3 2013: case received at NVC

August 26 2013: AOS package received at NVC

Sept 19 2013: case complete

October 1 2013: interview date received from NVC

Nov 26 2013: interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So my fiancee from England and I went to go pursue a immigration lawyer, he agreed to take us on as clients and we are starting the paperwork for the K-1 fiancee visa. He says the process will take 6-8 months. He's the boss and owner of the Law Firm. Has anyone else gone with a immigration attorney? If so, what was your experiences?

Have you ever had an issue with overstaying a visa in the US?

Does your fiancee have any criminal history?

If no, then don't bother with an attorney. All they do is fill out the paperwork based on the information that you supply them with. That's it. They cannot speed up the process in any way, despite any claims they might make. Any "special inquiries" they can make on your case are just them calling the same phone number and talking to the same people that you can. They can actually slow down cases because they have no sense of urgency when it comes to submitting things, and they generally don't take a great care in double and triple checking things like you would.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi corvusheart,

From our experience with an attorney, we could conclude that we spent a hefty sum of money for nothing. Basically you can do this on your own. I suggest you keep the money for plane tickets.

He didn't provide us any new information or speed the process. Could not be reached through phone, only emails and those were seldom replied.

He did help with filling up the forms and mock interview, however, again, you can find very useful information on this website. AND there are tons of people who are willing to help here.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Blooms

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

If you have a straightforward case there is absolutely no reason to hire an attorney. They only thing they do is send in documents that you have to gather on your own anyway. If anything they slow things down because they do things at their own pace. I consulted an attorney before I sent in my husband's petition because we had several "red flags", I am amazed at how much misinformation I was given from a supposedly high regarded very experienced immigration attorney. It was a joke. Had I hired him and followed his advice we would have been doomed. I decided to do it all on my own. My husbands petition was approved in 90 days with no RFE. From the day I sent my husbands petition to POE date it was 10 months, and that included 10 weeks of AP, without the AP it would have been 7 months. Do it on your own if you can, the money spent on an attorney can be saved for your future wedding. Good luck.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

I ditto all the above response. I see only 3 reasons to need an attorney to file the K-1:

1. You have some complications (i.e. past criminal record, etc.) and/or

2. You are not good with following written details, how to accurately complete a document and/or

3. You lack the focus and/or time needed (i.e. ADD, etc.).

Good luck to the both of you!

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

We originally used a lawyer and regretted it hugely.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.