AKSinghSingh79

How can a K-1 misrepresentation denial be overturned?

86 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

This question has nothing to do with my case (as K and I are filing for a Cr-1 later this year). I'm asking on behalf of a friend who's fiance was recently denied a K-1 visa and issued a 221g for misrepresentation at the consulate.

The CO was convinced that the beneficiary had been lying and that they were actually married. They of course are not married and both legally free to marry but in some ways I can see how the CO may have been tipped off in the wrong direction.

If they are not married and the 221g was wrongly given, can a misrepresentation denial be overturned? I find it hard to believe that a lifetime ban could be issued based on wrong facts. Would a senator's involvement help their case in any way? I believe that they are gathering evidence of being single and legally free to marry.

I know that I've read before of COs wrongly assuming a couple was married. What can be done in a case like this?

Thank you! :)

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well, what sort of evidence do they have that they were married? From my reading they don't usually give a lifetime ban without some STRONG proof.

I've seen denials for being married but I can't say I've seen them banned.. normally just told to file CR-1's 'cause they're married, or issued 221gs stating they need to prove they're not.

The problem is if they were to get married now and try and CR-1 USCIS has something on file that says they're already married so they couldn't put the "new" married date on the forms because the "second" marriage doesn't count... They need to find out what evidence they have and correct it. Hopefully that would overturn the K1 denial.

I would get an attorney involved. I don't see them getting the CR-1 denied with a new marriage date until they fix this misrep stuff.

Timeline

Well, what sort of evidence do they have that they were married? From my reading they don't usually give a lifetime ban without some STRONG proof.

I've seen denials for being married but I can't say I've seen them banned.. normally just told to file CR-1's 'cause they're married, or issued 221gs stating they need to prove they're not.

The problem is if they were to get married now and try and CR-1 USCIS has something on file that says they're already married so they couldn't put the "new" married date on the forms because the "second" marriage doesn't count... They need to find out what evidence they have and correct it. Hopefully that would overturn the K1 denial.

I would get an attorney involved. I don't see them getting the CR-1 denied with a new marriage date until they fix this misrep stuff.

The CO saw an online album that was labelled as "wedding". Even with that, it still seems very harsh to issue someone a misrepresentation slip immediately without giving them a chance to prove they are not married. This to me does not constitute strong evidence of being married.

She has involved an attorney since the start of their K-1 and has contacted them already but I've also heard that attorneys cannot do much at this stage. In this case, wouldn't a letter to a senator's office make a difference?

Edited by AKSinghSingh79

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Timeline

The CO saw an online album that was labelled as "wedding". Even with that, it still seems very harsh to issue someone a misrepresentation slip immediately without giving them a chance to prove they are not married. This to me does not constitute strong evidence of being married.

She has involved an attorney since the start of their K-1 and has contacted them already but I've also heard that attorneys cannot do much at this stage. In this case, wouldn't a letter to a senator's office make a difference?

They uploaded an album for friends and family (and this CO) to see that was titled "wedding"... Were there pics of them in wedding gear? Was it a religious ceremony just not the legal part?

Filed: Timeline

Senators/congressmen cannot overrule a VO's decision...senators/congressmen cannot 'vouch' for the veracity of anyone...their 'word' is no more valuable than anyone else's....attorneys will only relieve you (or your friend) of thousands of $$$)...

Either somebody was incredibly dumb by posting pictures labeled 'wedding' or someone is not being truthful....right now, the VOs are probably checking background on your 'friends'to see what's going on.....if they find a marriage license or something else, well.....guess what?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This question has nothing to do with my case (as K and I are filing for a Cr-1 later this year). I'm asking on behalf of a friend who's fiance was recently denied a K-1 visa and issued a 221g for misrepresentation at the consulate.

The CO was convinced that the beneficiary had been lying and that they were actually married. They of course are not married and both legally free to marry but in some ways I can see how the CO may have been tipped off in the wrong direction.

If they are not married and the 221g was wrongly given, can a misrepresentation denial be overturned? I find it hard to believe that a lifetime ban could be issued based on wrong facts. Would a senator's involvement help their case in any way? I believe that they are gathering evidence of being single and legally free to marry.

I know that I've read before of COs wrongly assuming a couple was married. What can be done in a case like this?

Thank you! :)

In which country did this take place? I know that in some places, a ceremony without a marriage license can still be valid if performed by clergy, etc.

Sooo... if they had a religious but non-licensed ceremony for the sake of family and uploaded the big event online, then planned on doing a civil ceremony later, they could in fact actually be married.

Where did this happen?

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One member has been thread-banned for rude and disruptive behaviour. One post has been removed and second post quoting removed post has also been removed. Response in the quoting post is returned to the thread below: Please remember, the OP has asked for advice not judgments, recriminations and character assasination:

AKSinghSingh79:

I realize they made a mistake but this topic was not started to get a slap on the wrist. I started it to gain helpful insight and possibly get links to topics where this situation has already been discussed so it may help them find a solution.

They will not find a marriage license because one does not exist. They are not married!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

They uploaded an album for friends and family (and this CO) to see that was titled "wedding"... Were there pics of them in wedding gear? Was it a religious ceremony just not the legal part?

No it was only an engagement ceremony.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Timeline

In which country did this take place? I know that in some places, a ceremony without a marriage license can still be valid if performed by clergy, etc.

Sooo... if they had a religious but non-licensed ceremony for the sake of family and uploaded the big event online, then planned on doing a civil ceremony later, they could in fact actually be married.

Where did this happen?

In India. No it was not a civil ceremony, only an engagement. In India it is very common for couples to go through an elaborate formal engagement and it can be religious but is not a marriage, only an acknowledgement of an impending marriage.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes perception is everything as in this case.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Sometimes perception is everything as in this case.

Yes I agree but it certainly shouldn't mean "end of the road" for them. The conclusion that the CO came to was false which means they deserve a second chance, whether that means a second interview, filing a new K-1 petition, or getting married and filing for a CR-1.

Edited by AKSinghSingh79

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Timeline

In India. No it was not a civil ceremony, only an engagement. In India it is very common for couples to go through an elaborate formal engagement and it can be religious but is not a marriage, only an acknowledgement of an impending marriage.

I've actually read of this happening to other people which is why a lot of advice about these elaborate ceremonies is to be 100% clear about it being an engagement ceremony.

I'm sorry but they wrote "wedding" on an engagement album, that's pretty damning evidence. I would say they should get married and do the CR-1. I would then try and explain that the "wedding" album only had engagement pics in it because the wedding hadn't taken place yet and when it did it would have been put in with the other images.

Usually though pictures have captions... did the pictures indicate portions of the ceremony "our first kiss as husband and wife" etc?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Besides the above warnings in regard to photos, every K-1 couple should take care NOT to refer to each other in writing (playfully or romantically) as "husband" or "wife." The "wrong" written materials that get into a CO's hands can lead to a 221g (at best) or to refusal of the visa.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

When and how would a CO see an "online album" ?

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
NOA2 May 30th 2012 (not a typo, 187 days no RFE)
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 3 rec Jul 9th 2012 (sent before received)
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Interview Jul 30th 2012 (refused for lack of ongoing relationship evidence)
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Visa delivered Oct 10th 2012
POE JFK-NYC Nov 28th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
Package sent Jan 30th 2013
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013
EAD/AP card in production Apr 5th 2013
EAD/AP card in mail Apr 11th 2013
EAD/AP card arrived Apr 13th 2013
SS card arrived Apr 19th 2013

AOS approved Sept 19th 2013 (no interview)

ROC

Package sent Sept 13th 2015

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Extension Letter 1yr Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Infopass 1yr extension Aug 26th 2016

RFE response Sept 30th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

"You are lucky we are busy today, we are trying to clear this area, otherwise I wouldn't let you in" - Atlanta CBP Securing America's Borders

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.