AKSinghSingh79

How can a K-1 misrepresentation denial be overturned?

86 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Besides the above warnings in regard to photos, every K-1 couple should take care NOT to refer to each other in writing (playfully or romantically) as "husband" or "wife." The "wrong" written materials that get into a CO's hands can lead to a 221g (at best) or to refusal of the visa.

And this was my very concern.

It's important for those of us in the K1 process to refer to each other in public (or private) only as finace/fiancee at all times before marriage, even to family and friends. And especially on public venues such as Facebook, etc. My baby and I are being careful about it, but do sometimes refer to each other in chats as "husband-to-be" or "bride-to-be." Perception can lead to false reality, unnecessarily complicating matters.

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

When and how would a CO see an "online album" ?

Stu I have seen posts where the CO pulled up BOTH peoples facebook and asked who these friends were or what this post was.

I have also heard that a CO questioned a married man about his chats with other women during the first 2 years of him and his wifes (she was just a girlfriend when he was chatting and writing others) 5 year relationship. He knew their names. He then called the wife in the USA and asked her if she knew who these women were. She knew thank God. Cause the couple was honest wih each other. But if he would have hidden those relationaships from his wife, i am sure they would have been denied.

Have NO doubts. They can dig up anything they want

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Timeline
...I have seen posts where the CO pulled up BOTH peoples facebook and asked who these friends were or what this post was.

I have also heard that a CO questioned a married man about his chats with other women during the first 2 years of him and his wifes (she was just a girlfriend when he was chatting and writing others) 5 year relationship. He knew their names. He then called the wife in the USA and asked her if she knew who these women were. She knew thank God. Cause the couple was honest wih each other. But if he would have hidden those relationaships from his wife, i am sure they would have been denied.

Have NO doubts. They can dig up anything they want

Wowsers!! :blink:

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kuwait
Timeline

This is my first post to this forum. I am so glad I joined and read this discussion. We are having an official engagement party next week and we will have an Armenian Orthodox priest attend to bless our rings and offer prayers. Reading the comments made me realize I need to be more aware of what we do so nothing is misinterpreted. Our invitations say engagement party and I just confirmed the writing on the cake will say "engagement of" and not just our names, so it doesn't look like anything else especially since a priest will be there.

Sorry this is a bit off topic from the discussion and not a response to the original question, but I am truly thankful to see this in time to make any corrections to my own party and hopefully not experience any complications with our K-1 process. Thank you.

Edited by vosnmars

K-1 to Citizenship - 6 year immigration journey: January 2012 to January 2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Congrats on your engagement.

And that is what Visa Journey is all about, education of this process to minimize suprises later

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Congrats on your engagement.

And that is what Visa Journey is all about, education of this process to minimize suprises later

Thank you!

K-1 to Citizenship - 6 year immigration journey: January 2012 to January 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is my first post to this forum. I am so glad I joined and read this discussion. We are having an official engagement party next week and we will have an Armenian Orthodox priest attend to bless our rings and offer prayers. Reading the comments made me realize I need to be more aware of what we do so nothing is misinterpreted. Our invitations say engagement party and I just confirmed the writing on the cake will say "engagement of" and not just our names, so it doesn't look like anything else especially since a priest will be there.

Sorry this is a bit off topic from the discussion and not a response to the original question, but I am truly thankful to see this in time to make any corrections to my own party and hopefully not experience any complications with our K-1 process. Thank you.

Make sure you show minimal pictures on this party. It can open a can of worms....

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

Besides the above warnings in regard to photos, every K-1 couple should take care NOT to refer to each other in writing (playfully or romantically) as "husband" or "wife." The "wrong" written materials that get into a CO's hands can lead to a 221g (at best) or to refusal of the visa.

You're saying that the K-1 will be denied for having pet names for each other as husband and wife? What should I do with all of my proof of relationship correspondence which includes these references then? My fiancee has enjoyed this playing and so we've referred to each other a lot in this way? These correspondences need to be tossed then, are you saying? Should I go through and blacken out all these references? I mean to refuse a visa on this grounds seems absurd. How about when we call each other baby? Will it be denied because we're underage?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This question has nothing to do with my case (as K and I are filing for a Cr-1 later this year). I'm asking on behalf of a friend who's fiance was recently denied a K-1 visa and issued a 221g for misrepresentation at the consulate.

The CO was convinced that the beneficiary had been lying and that they were actually married. They of course are not married and both legally free to marry but in some ways I can see how the CO may have been tipped off in the wrong direction.

If they are not married and the 221g was wrongly given, can a misrepresentation denial be overturned? I find it hard to believe that a lifetime ban could be issued based on wrong facts. Would a senator's involvement help their case in any way? I believe that they are gathering evidence of being single and legally free to marry.

I know that I've read before of COs wrongly assuming a couple was married. What can be done in a case like this?

Thank you! :)

WHY do they think they are married? This may determine the answer.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You're saying that the K-1 will be denied for having pet names for each other as husband and wife? What should I do with all of my proof of relationship correspondence which includes these references then? My fiancee has enjoyed this playing and so we've referred to each other a lot in this way? These correspondences need to be tossed then, are you saying? Should I go through and blacken out all these references? I mean to refuse a visa on this grounds seems absurd. How about when we call each other baby? Will it be denied because we're underage?

Visas CAN and HAVE been denied for this many times, yes. I would not present such evidence and stop doing this, you are NOT husband and wife. Words mean things, especially to people who LOOK for a fraud. I would NOT attempt to blacken words out.

"pet names" are OK, "wife" and "husband" are NOT pet names. When I write emails to my WIFE I do nt refer to her as my "wife". I call her "Alichka" which would be perfectly fine in a letter presented to any consulate.

Pet names mean nothing, "husband" and "wife" have specific meanings which disqualify you for a fiancee visa.

Gary And Alla

Blessing rings is a part of the marriage ceremony. Will the priest think you are married? This does not sound like a good idea.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

And this was my very concern.

It's important for those of us in the K1 process to refer to each other in public (or private) only as finace/fiancee at all times before marriage, even to family and friends. And especially on public venues such as Facebook, etc. My baby and I are being careful about it, but do sometimes refer to each other in chats as "husband-to-be" or "bride-to-be." Perception can lead to false reality, unnecessarily complicating matters.

here is a suggestion

Just refer to each other by your names. Gary and Alla worked for us quite well. Everything you do for the next 4-5 years is subject to scrutiny, remember that. You are NOT in a normal relationship until your spouse becomes a citizen.

You can also try Sweetheart, honey, darling, hunny bunny, but NOT "husband" or "wife" I never figured out how you even do that anyway. What do you say? "how is my wife today?" :wacko: I don't even say that to my wife. I just say "How are you today?"

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes, you could be denied. You're either lying to each other or lying to the CO. In both instances a red flag raises up and high. Especially if you're petitioning someone from a high fraud country. MENA embassies are notorious, so please do yourself a favor and act like you're engaged, not married.

The "baby" reference is a very bad analogy and it makes me believe you're not getting the point. There are countries where by simply calling each other "husband" and "wife" you're technically married. Only a signature away separates the couple from making it legal. The US will make sure you're not lying or misrepresenting yourself or your beneficiary. You're either married or you're not. If you're in the "limbo area" (religious or ceremoniously married, but not legally), they consider you married. This is a legal issue, not just a vocabulary issue.

Edited by NY_BX

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

here is a suggestion

Just refer to each other by your names. Gary and Alla worked for us quite well. Everything you do for the next 4-5 years is subject to scrutiny, remember that. You are NOT in a normal relationship until your spouse becomes a citizen.

You can also try Sweetheart, honey, darling, hunny bunny, but NOT "husband" or "wife" I never figured out how you even do that anyway. What do you say? "how is my wife today?" :wacko: I don't even say that to my wife. I just say "How are you today?"

I appreciate the advice, and will heed that from now on. It was meant as a romantic affirmation of the commitment we are making to one another. You are right, that if we were married we probably wouldn't call each other these names. It's the desire to be married, not being married, that inspired us to use these names. I will accept your statement that visas have been denied because of this, but it just seems so unreasonable. Have the application denials been overcome? I wish you wouldn't be so harsh in your judgement because we called each other that, implying we are wacko for having done so. Thanks for the advice, though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.