jojo_gee

America...your bread sucks.

240 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes I agree as well. Now granted, the King Arthur is a 4g of protein and is definitely superior to the basic junk off the shelf (90 percent of that ####### is 3g and some are even 2). But we found that in the breadmaker, it wound up way too crumbly even on the lightest crust setting, and couldn't hold anything inside a couple of slices for a sandwich. If one were to use it only for toast or croutons, however....it seemed to be adequate (so to speak).

(Then again I am at elevation here as well......almost 6 thousand feet...so please take my words with a grain of salt).

It also makes a massive difference which setting one uses on the machine too. The basic/Quickbake/Expressbake settings make a different loaf than if it's set on French/Sourdough/European/Whole Wheat etc. They all worked differently straight across the board with each flour, and some of them had their pros and cons depending on the settings.

Yes I have gone psycho with this and have an actual journal marking down all the flours we have tried on each setting in the machine lol. Once one gets into the higher quality flours though (5g and higher), I think it's just a matter of preference from there on what type of loaf one is looking for. And it's certainly comforting to know that we have at least one thing here that doesn't have that flippin' corn syrup in it :)

After a couple other tries, our preference here is still the Prairie Gold flour out of Montana (6g protein and no GMO's).

To be continued.....

I will have to look and see if our Walmart has Prairie Gold flour. Are you using the Bread Flour with a protein content of 6g, and do you use it for all your baking? At the moment I have been using Gold medal bread flour for all my baking. I pretty much use it like all purpose flour it is way better then the all purpose flour they have here. It does the job but I still find a bit of a difference the back home, at least I can bake though all my goodies that I love because I would go nuts with the junk they sell in stores here.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will have to look and see if our Walmart has Prairie Gold flour. Are you using the Bread Flour with a protein content of 6g, and do you use it for all your baking? At the moment I have been using Gold medal bread flour for all my baking. I pretty much use it like all purpose flour it is way better then the all purpose flour they have here. It does the job but I still find a bit of a difference the back home, at least I can bake though all my goodies that I love because I would go nuts with the junk they sell in stores here.

Yeah the Wheat Montana company has a few different flours in their lineup, and the one we have found favor with thus far is the "Prairie Gold" one. It is a 100% whole wheat flour, and they also have a white unbleached if I'm not mistaken, though we haven't tried it.

So far it's only been for bread, I shudder to think that we might need something else for pies, cinnamon buns etc lol.

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I agree! I've found 'Irish Bacon' at Whole Foods (It's the same as English/Scottish Bacon - not the cardboard sticks they call bacon here) and have HP brought over by family and friends (plus it's in some of the local supermarkets)but the bread is dreadful. Best is the 'Arnolds' Italian White Loaf and Walmart actually do a reasonable French Stick. I've started making my own which is nice but ver time consuming and certainly not a daily activity.

9-1-90 Met future wife I was High School Exchange Student

12-1-10 Worked in FL and spent a week in VA and met old "friend"

2-13-11 Back to VA to spend time with "friend"

10-13-11 Back again to spend more time together

12-24-11 Proposed

12-31-11 Married

1-11-12 VWP expired, still waiting on certified marriage copy

1-14-12 Mailed AOS i-485,i-130 package to Chicago Drop Box

1-16-12 Confirmation of package receipt from USPS

1-20-12 Email and Text received from Chicago

1-21-12 Cheque cashed! (Didn't hang around with that one!)

1-24-12 I-797s received in mail *4 (in 4 envelopes (explain that logic!))

2-03-12 RFE received Tax return 2011

2-03-12 RFE received for income levels

2-09-12 RFE returned

2-13-12 Biometrics letter received

2-24-12 Biometrics appointment Norfolk, VA (in and out in under 5 minutes!)

3-13-12 Email notice that I-131 and I-765 (AP and EAD) approved and production under way

3-21-12 Combo card (AP and EAD)received in mail

4-08-12 Notice of AOS Interview May 9th at Norfolk, VA office

5-09-12 Interview at Norfolk, VA. Case recommended for approval

5-09-12 Email received confirming case has been approved!

5-17-12 2 year green card received via USPS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I agree, it is wayyy too sweet, I am making my own, it is pretty easy and one doesn't even need a bread machine.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I'll need to try to track down some of that Prairie flour. Making my own is no problem. Bread makers won't solve the issue. The breads just don't rise the same way as back home, and come out too dense and heavy. I have been told multiple times that this is due to the protein (and gluten), but this is the first time I've actually seen anyone mention brands of flour with actual protein values/content mentioned. :D

Married since 03/02/2011, AOS from F-1 visa, green card granted 05/24/2011.
Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

02/27/2013 - I-751 packet sent
03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - I-751 Approved

I thought american brown bread would taste better than white bread... nope. Its overly squishy (magic of preservatives?) despite being sitting a few days on the counter in a bag. I toast it and it tastes like overly sweet sawdust.

*barf*

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just an update for yas

The Wheat Montana company has now expanded their little deal into roughly 10 more states across the nation in the Walmart stores, I'm not sure how many states this makes now....but it's a pretty cool little expansion here for those who didn't have access to this flour until now.

On a secondary note....the wife and I are now trying out some flours from our local health food store.....and a couple of these flours are 13 and 15g of protein according to the label there. So who knows, these suckers might break the darn machine being this much higher than what we've found to date lol.

Happy bread making folks...this is turning out to be a life long adventure in this regard...and a whole lot of fun to boot as well :thumbs:

Edited by Love of My Life

event.png

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Why America, why? Your bread tastes like cake and lasts a ridiculously long time in my cupboard without going green. Lots of my food time is spent dreaming of white bread cheese sandwiches or white bread bacon butties with butter and HP sauce. Warburtons blue packet usually. I spend wasteful dollars on all these different kinds hoping one will taste normal. I don't fall for your 12/8/6 grain, wholewheat, bran nonsense anymore because I know they all taste of sugar and ruin my toast and sandwich experience. The list of ingredients are enough to send the health board into a spin.

It's not normal and it hurts.

JoJo - a bread lover from the UK.

Gotta admit you are right!! Bread here tastes like sawdust and nothing like the bread in Russia which is great!!:)) You might want to try a local bread store or invest in a good bread baking book!:)

event.png

• 2 months later...

I tried making bread & spotted ####### during my last visit.... went over very well with the americans but I could taste an odd sort of alkaline aftertaste to everything... Just the flour I was using or does all flour taste like that?

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Let's be clear... CORPORATE American bread sucks. MY American bread kicks ####. Naturally leavened, slow-risen, whole grain and stone baked with not one speck of sugar or sugar-like substances - flour, water, salt, and the sourdough starter derived from the naturally occurring yeasts. Yep, kicks ####. Think I'll go prep a loaf right now for baking tomorrow evening. :thumbs:

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

I miss Canadian foods when I visit... I think it'll be my second biggest withdrawal when I eventually move. unsure.gif

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Totally agree with you, and I was born and raised here!

If you aren't near a bakery, just start making it yourself. It's easy, and you can freeze the dough in batches for later use. If you want recipes, PM me.

Married 2008

-------------------------------------------------------------------

5/21/09 - filed I-130

12/7/09 - Interview (denied for 28 yr old CIMT); filed waiver same day

6/18/10 - I-601 Waiver Denied, added misrep for checking wrong box on landing card (lifetime ban)

7/16/10 - AAO Appeal filed.

8/31/12 - AAO appeal sustained (THANK YOU, GOD FOR YOUR MERCY)

10/8/12 - USCIS sent file to Consulate

11/28/12 - Visa in hand

12/10/12 - HERE AT LAST! (ALL GLORY TO GOD!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

The entire food system here is broken and detrimental to both humans and animals. Between the ubiquitous HFCS, pesticide-ridden produce, antibiotics and synthetic hormone -laced meat and poultry (banned in the EU, China, Russia and others, by the way, because proven to disrupt the endocrine system and linked to cancer and reproductive disorders), GMOs, MSG and what have you, my husband and I shop exclusively at a local natural foods co-op or Whole Foods. 98% of what we eat is organic and home-cooked.

Ignorance is NOT bliss when it comes to food... Here's a link to some very good documentaries about food:

http://thegoodhuman.com/2012/04/17/top-10-food-documentaries/

And yes, the bread is decidedly horrid... My USC husband remembers being completely grossed out several years ago when he discovered that real fresh bread actually starts to go bad after about a day, that it's not meant to sit on the shelf for weeks and weeks and not change... How creepy is it that that's the American "bread experience"? :blink:

Edited by pddp

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Why America, why? Your bread tastes like cake and lasts a ridiculously long time in my cupboard without going green. Lots of my food time is spent dreaming of white bread cheese sandwiches or white bread bacon butties with butter and HP sauce. Warburtons blue packet usually. I spend wasteful dollars on all these different kinds hoping one will taste normal. I don't fall for your 12/8/6 grain, wholewheat, bran nonsense anymore because I know they all taste of sugar and ruin my toast and sandwich experience. The list of ingredients are enough to send the health board into a spin.

It's not normal and it hurts.

JoJo - a bread lover from the UK.

AHAHAHA omg I was googling "why is USA bread so sweet?" and came up to this post. I'm from Cyprus and have been living in Scotland for the last 4 years. Never noticed any difference between cypriot and scottish bread, but American bread.. oh my freaken god. I was eating bread like crazy in Europe and now I can't even have a freaken toast with butter :(

I am currently trying Rye bread and tastes kind of better (no sugar)... all other breads are plain sugar loafs :/ Glad I'm not the only one having the bread problem lol

AOS Journey:

9/19/2014: AOS Package (i130, i485, i765 and i131) sent to Chicago lockbox using USPS Certified mail

12/3/2014: EAD and Advanced Parole in Production :dancing:

12/12/2014: EAD/AP Card received

1/23/2015: Interview is Scheduled for February 27!

1/28/2015: Interview Letter Received

3/10/2015: Greencard Received

12/3/2016: Filed i751 at California Service Center

12/4/2016: Filed N400 - Dallas TX

2/18/2018: i751 Case transferred to Local Office

2/26/2018: i751 Case received at Local Office

1/5/2018: i751 Case Transferred And New Office Has Jurisdiction

3/5/2018: Another update saying i751 Case Transferred And New Office Has Jurisdiction

5/7/2018: Received Letter stating i751 Case transferred to National Benefits Center, Lee's Summit, MO 64064

5/30/2018: Interview scheduled for N400

7/11/2018: Attended interview and was informed it will be a combo N400/I751 interview

8/6/2018: N400 Approved

8/7/2018: I751 Approved

9/5/2018: Oath Ceremony missed due to travel abroad and letter sent to USCIS to reschedule ceremony

10/2/2018: Officially a US Citizen! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Old thread with arguably inflammatory title closed. Feel free to continue in the new thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/521254-bread-in-the-us-versus-bread-in-other-countries/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.