ShawnSpiker

Fiance Visa K1 - Online Engagement Ceremony is Acceptable

39 posts in this topic

Fiance Visa K1 - Online Engagement Ceremony is Acceptable.

We are officially engaged but I was in America and my fiancee was in her country we did the engagement party online because the paperwork takes time and I had to go back to America.

Is that ok? or acceptable since we have already met? Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

There doesn't need to be any formal event or even a ring.  Declarations of intent are what are required for the petition, and explain what the nature of your relationship is (engaged to be married).  If you two have both decided to file the 129F, congrats, you're engaged. :D

19 minutes ago, hplusj said:

There doesn't need to be any formal event or even a ring.  Declarations of intent are what are required for the petition, and explain what the nature of your relationship is (engaged to be married).  If you two have both decided to file the 129F, congrats, you're engaged. :D

Thank you for your kind words. We have decided but I am somehow frustrated by the timeline for her to come here.
and how we would wait all that time apart, is it always over a year and a half for her to be here?

Is the K1 visa the fastest visa for her to come?

Timeline
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Thank you for your kind words. We have decided but I am somehow frustrated by the timeline for her to come here.
and how we would wait all that time apart, is it always over a year and a half for her to be here?

Is the K1 visa the fastest visa for her to come?

If you want to do this legally, which is the only way I would recommend, then there is no expedient method.

Arguably, some people say the spouse visa is less time overall, and better in terms of gaining a green card/work auth/paying less fees to the government.  However, it's hard for some people to wrap their heads around the idea of getting married then sorting the paperwork, forcing couples to live outside the US (sometimes together, sometimes with the USC back at home) for upwards of a year. 

The desire to avoid that and do the K1 does come at several costs: monetarily, logistically, and time-wise.  Ultimately the choice is up to you.

Edited by hplusj

As stated in other comments, I think the government does not care about the engagement, outside of the letters to get married upon entering the US, if you happen to mention that you are engaged, the way or manner of the engagement is really not important.  Given a choice of K1 or Spousal visa, I would have opted for a spousal visa as the timeline outside of the country was about the same, but in the long term cheaper because many steps are not part of the process, (adjustment of status for example.)  but this is something that is very personal to the couple making the decisions.  My suggestion will always be to do your research on both options and then decide which one is best for you.  Good luck.   

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Make sure you research/understand the Adjustment of Status process now to understand the cost and drawbacks associated with it. It is a more important consideration overall than the wait times, imo. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
21 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

Make sure you research/understand the Adjustment of Status process now to understand the cost and drawbacks associated with it. It is a more important consideration overall than the wait times, imo. 

Exactly, you're going to wait no matter what.

I have said a few times on this forum, if I had done my research a year ago I would've picked the spouse visa.  I'm too far along now to really change that.  The upcoming costs are not something I look forward to, for the privilege of living with my spouse immediately after the wedding.

1 hour ago, hplusj said:

Exactly, you're going to wait no matter what.

I have said a few times on this forum, if I had done my research a year ago I would've picked the spouse visa.  I'm too far along now to really change that.  The upcoming costs are not something I look forward to, for the privilege of living with my spouse immediately after the wedding.

Thank you very much, I will do the research this week and try to make the decision.

Do I have to live outside America for some time for the spouse visa?
Do you know the estimated time for the K1 and the spouse visa? like proximity.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Thank you very much, I will do the research this week and try to make the decision.

I'm not sure what your "engagement party online" looked like, but if you end up applying for K-1 do avoid including any mention or pictures of that party since USCIS may well consider you too married for K-1 and deny the application if the party had even a remote resemblance to a wedding ceremony.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
23 minutes ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Thank you.

Is there a difference in filing for K1, online with a soft copy or a hard copy "with paper"? Any recommendation?

You can't file an I-129f online. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

This might be helpful:

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Whatever plan is in place, when dealing with US immigration it is absolutely vital to start with reading instructions.

Some are convoluted, that's what discussions are for: not reading instructions a petitioner can look up.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:48 PM, ShawnSpiker said:

Do I have to live outside America for some time for the spouse visa?
Do you know the estimated time for the K1 and the spouse visa? like proximity.

They will both take a couple of years, especially for Lebanon.

9 hours ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Thank you.

Is there a difference in filing for K1, online with a soft copy or a hard copy "with paper"? Any recommendation?

Sounds like you need to start by doing some very basic research of the two processes, and what they all entail.  None of it is cheap, fast or easy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.