drchirag

I just passed us citizenship and now want to apply for my 2 yr old daughter

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

When you get your N400 certificate, you can head to the post office and apply for her US PP.

As security, also invest $700+ and apply for her N600 with USCIS 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Check links below:

Section - "I became a U.S. citizen through my parent who naturalized or through the Child Citizenship Act of 2000"

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/citizenship-evidence.html

General Requirements

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

High level summary.

-Use your naturalization certificate to apply for the child

-Both parents need to consent by attending appointment together or filling DS-3053. Unless you have full legal custody.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Timona said:

As security, also invest $700+ and apply for her N600 with USCIS 

N-600 is $1335 if filing online (recommend, it's easier) or $1385 for paper filings. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
7 hours ago, drchirag said:

Do I have to wait for my PP or I can apply right now for her PP?

N400 certificate 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I am assuming you mailed your naturalization certificate off when you applied for your passport. I would file for your child‘s N-600 right away and apply for her passport as well.

You do not need father‘s permission/consent to file for a certificate of citizenship but do need his support regarding any passport application.

Timeline
18 hours ago, R&OC said:

You do not need father‘s permission/consent to file for a certificate of citizenship

Not entirely true.  Part 2, item 21 pertains to legal and physical custody.  Under the Evidence section, number 9 requires proof of legal and physical custody.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
On 5/1/2024 at 6:09 PM, mam521 said:

Not entirely true.  Part 2, item 21 pertains to legal and physical custody.  Under the Evidence section, number 9 requires proof of legal and physical custody.  

Filling out a form and having custody are two different issues. You do not need other parents consent to fill out the N-600 but you need other parents consent to apply for a passport. The N-600 form, however, does not free you from meeting the criteria of eligibility (custody).

Timeline
On 5/2/2024 at 4:24 PM, R&OC said:

Filling out a form and having custody are two different issues. You do not need other parents consent to fill out the N-600 but you need other parents consent to apply for a passport. The N-600 form, however, does not free you from meeting the criteria of eligibility (custody).

Why would you waste your time (and money) filling out a "one shot" form if you didn't have required evidence to support the issuance of the document? 

I had another thread where there was a whole discussion about the importance of being able to provide the evidence required to obtain the certificate of citizenship.  The conclusion was the "t's" better be crossed and the "i's" dotted because it's one chance and that's it.  You mess it up and don't have the evidence straight out of the gate, you don't get a "do over".  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline
5 hours ago, mam521 said:

Why would you waste your time (and money) filling out a "one shot" form if you didn't have required evidence to support the issuance of the document? 

I had another thread where there was a whole discussion about the importance of being able to provide the evidence required to obtain the certificate of citizenship.  The conclusion was the "t's" better be crossed and the "i's" dotted because it's one chance and that's it.  You mess it up and don't have the evidence straight out of the gate, you don't get a "do over".  

What exactly are you assuming? And who said, the N-600 should be filled out without the required evidence? Also, which is evidence is not available?

I filed for my children‘s N-600 before applying for their passports. I do have experience filling out these forms but I am struggling to understand what you are referring to.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.