Mandeloon29

Are Canadians with B2s granted 6 months per entry or 6 months per 365 days? (merged)

27 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mandeloon29 said:

I just didn't mention it, but yes I did get denied entry after returning from the 112 days.
They said I was inadmissible due to lack of ties to my country which makes a lot of sense, lol. It looked like I was trying to illegally immigrate which I understand why it looked like that. He let me withdraw my application of admission to the US. I haven't returned and I'm back to working. No mention of overstays though... 

Don't know who to contact/inquire regarding if I do have an overstay

You were rightly denied entry because you were de facto trying to live in the US on a nonimmigrant status.  Going forward, you should plan to use the entry privilege more like a proper tourist, for reasonable periods of time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with @carmel34, if marriage is the plan, then maybe it is time to work toward that and the eventual spousal visa.  Your most recent stays, and withdraw request for admittance should not impact that visa although there may be questions.  You might be able to visit again during the processing of the spousal visa petition after a suitable time outside the US (6-12 months), and with work ties to Canada, but as @Ontarkie mentioned, you are flagged, so who knows if CBP will be convinced.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, Mandeloon29 said:

Ohh, that explains a lot. Will it affect any possible visas later on? 

I had a Withdrawal on my record from 2011 and I successfully got a K1 Visa, Adjustment of Status (2 year green card), Removal of Conditions (10 year green card), and Citizenship (this Friday is my oath ceremony).

of course it totally depends on a case by case basis but truthfully I don’t think that withdrawal is going to give you any issues. But the other posters are right you’re lucky you didn’t get expedited removal. As Canadians we are lucky we can so easily travel to the US and spend as much time in the US in comparison to other countries but you should still take care of how long and often. Showing ties to Canada is important. I was traveling back and forth every other weekend, always went back, but I always kept documents to show that I was going to go back. They won’t take your word for it. So better safe than sorry. 

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Usually 6 months per entry, could be less could be none.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

UP TO 6 months per entry, but that is not a guarantee and also doesn’t mean that somebody can stay for 6 months, leave and come back for another 6 months. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

From the US embassy in Canada website:

"Canadian visitors are generally granted a stay in the U.S. for up to six months at the time of entry. [...]

As with all foreign visitors, Canadians are reminded that U.S. law requires entrants to qualify for the desired stay and purpose of travel at the time of their initial entry."

From the CBP website:

"There is no set period of time Canadians must wait to re-enter the United States after the end of their stay, but if it appears to the CBP officer that the person applying for entry is spending more time over-all in the United States than in Canada, it will be up to the traveler to prove to the officer that they are not de-facto U.S. residents."

Just now, Allaboutwaiting said:

From the US embassy in Canada website:

"Canadian visitors are generally granted a stay in the U.S. for up to six months at the time of entry. [...]

As with all foreign visitors, Canadians are reminded that U.S. law requires entrants to qualify for the desired stay and purpose of travel at the time of their initial entry."

From the CBP website:

"There is no set period of time Canadians must wait to re-enter the United States after the end of their stay, but if it appears to the CBP officer that the person applying for entry is spending more time over-all in the United States than in Canada, it will be up to the traveler to prove to the officer that they are not de-facto U.S. residents."

Awesome! Thanks! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Like topics merged***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• Ontarkie changed the title to Are Canadians with B2s granted 6 months per entry or 6 months per 365 days? (merged)
9 hours ago, Daphne . said:

UP TO 6 months per entry, but that is not a guarantee and also doesn’t mean that somebody can stay for 6 months, leave and come back for another 6 months. 

Do you know if theres a way to request more detailed on past I-94s? I'm unable to see all that information on the website.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.