momo83110

Should I just use a lawyer? Complicated history but not messy... if that makes sense

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I have gone thru the Green Card process once before. I was married to my ex about 25 years ago and we have been divorced for 16 years. Since that time... I have been married 2 times after to American citizens.

My second husband was a college sweetheart and we have 2 children together. My third husband and I were together for 3 years but only married for 1 year and mainly got married for health insurance (although we were a real couple- I just didn't want to be married but his compnay requires marriage and not just common law, which is what we were).

I recently got married again (so marriage number 4) to someone from my own cultural background. He is from Cambodia and I myself am 1st generation Cambodian-American. I met my now husband at a family friends' party when he was visiting his sister on a B1 visa this last summer. We met and married within 3 months of meeting and have now been married for 7 months and it's been great so far.

We are about to file but I am unsure if I should use a lawyer or not. My ex husband (the first one) is remarried and has kids- we are still friendly and keep in touch. I went thru the process with him but neither one of us has the paperwork still. We are both having a hard time finding our case files and even our divorce decree. There seems to be no online query that I can find on my own. I never really thought I would go thru the GC process again. I am wondering if I should hire a lawyer to do all this since it seems a bit... complicated.

Or should I file on my own and submit any information that they need moving forward?

Posted as a reccomendation from Reddit.

Edited by momo83110
Clarification

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Just to clarify. You got citizenship through your 1st husband?

You'll need all your divorce decrees from the previous 3 marriages. Can't you get a divorce decree from the county clerk?

Edited by nastra30

Filed: Other Country: Cambodia
Timeline
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Just to clarify. You got citizenship through your 1st husband?

You'll need all your divorce decrees from the previous 3 marriages. Can't you get a divorce decree from the county clerk?

No- I was born and raised in America.

My first huband was already in America for a few years with a work visa bey the time we met.

My next 2 husbands are both American citizens

My current husband came on a B1 visa and is currently overstayed

Edited by momo83110
grammer

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 minutes ago, momo83110 said:

No- I was born and raised in America.

My first huband was already in America for a few years with a work visa bey the time we met.

My next 2 husbands are both American citizens

My current husband came on a B1 visa and is currently overstayed

Ok. First generation American could mean a couple things so thanks for the clarification. But as I already alluded to, you'll need those divorce decrees. If you are able to get all your docs in order you could do this yourself because you already have experience doing it. Good luck.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They will not like this one, red flags a flying, strongly recommend a good lawyer. I see a Stokes.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.