nullaccount

California Office Closed!

15 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

There’s been no cases processed since Thursday. I thought it was odd so I checked USCIS website and it says the California office is closed from March 15th due to “facility issues” until further notice. 

Does anyone have more information on this? 

I really hope they reopen Monday and we aren’t all delayed for weeks…

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

What's your objective?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

28 minutes ago, nullaccount said:

Hello guys,

There’s been no cases processed since Thursday. I thought it was odd so I checked USCIS website and it says the California office is closed from March 15th due to “facility issues” until further notice. 

Does anyone have more information on this? 

I really hope they reopen Monday and we aren’t all delayed for weeks…

It’s the SF Field Office that is temporarily closed, so not relevant to your cases at all.

3 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

It’s the SF Field Office that is temporarily closed, so not relevant to your cases at all.

Ah got you! Which one is can I ask? They just say California for us? 

they didn’t process anything on Thursday or Friday so was there a national holiday or something? 

Are you confusing a Field Office with a Service Center maybe? 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

53 minutes ago, nullaccount said:

they didn’t process anything on Thursday or Friday so was there a national holiday or something? 

As @Daphne . has said, a Field Office is different from a Service Centre. 

There was no holiday on Thursday/Friday, but how do you know they didn't process anything those days?

12 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

As @Daphne . has said, a Field Office is different from a Service Centre. 

There was no holiday on Thursday/Friday, but how do you know they didn't process anything those days?

Track my visa now website. 

20 minutes ago, Daphne . said:

Are you confusing a Field Office with a Service Center maybe? 

Yes I was! My apologies! Atleast I know now! 

I wonder why they didn’t process anything the last two days then 

11 minutes ago, nullaccount said:

Track my visa now website. 

I'd ignore that completely. Even if no visas were approved or denied on Thursday or Friday, then it doesn't mean no work was done. So to say nothing was processed isn't correct, they will have been working hard doing background checks, looking at documents, sending out RFE's etc, etc. An approval or denial is only a tiny part of the work that is done on an application, the rest is done prior to that point and is far more onerous than hitting go on a decision notice.  

And I have to say, if you're concerned that VJ is making you feel sad about the process, then tracking your case using a third party's website with no link to USCIS is likely to be even worse. I know it's tough when you're waiting but obsessing over one or two specific days in the whole process isn't going to help at all. 

Edited by appleblossom

2 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

I'd ignore that completely. Even if no visas were approved or denied on Thursday or Friday (unlikely, and presumably that website only has data from it's own users, so a tiny percentage of all applicants), then it doesn't mean no work was done. An approval or denial is only a minuscule part of the work that is done on an application, the rest is done prior to that point and is far more onerous than hitting go on a decision notice.  

And I have to say, if you're concerned that VJ is making you feel sad about the process, then tracking your case using a third parties website with no link to USCIS is likely to be even worse!

I believe they scan the USCIS data actually and it isn’t based off of users they have. They have data for all cases submitted to USCIS. This was all discussed in some detail on the discord a while back. That’s why they now do a paid service. I don’t personally pay for it.

but I understand your point on that. I don’t track my own progress using it I just like to keep up to date with which months are currently being processed. 

8 minutes ago, nullaccount said:

I believe they scan the USCIS data actually and it isn’t based off of users they have. They have data for all cases submitted to USCIS.

I amended my post above as I realised that was probably the case. But it doesn't tell you what work is being done really, it only tells you of approvals/rejections etc. I worked in immigration for a long time (for Canada, not the US), and often I'd go a whole week without granting a visa, as I was doing other stuff on my cases and they weren't yet at that point. So I'd be working hard, but if you'd looked at just my stats for cases finalised it would have looked like I'd done nothing!

In other words, ignore that completely - you may just find that it was your case they were doing the background checks for on Thursday and Friday, fingers crossed…….🤞

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are major problems with crime in SF and I know at least one Federal Building was closed and they now work from home. Could be related?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

field office 

USCIS says till 15th 

California San Francisco: Will be closed until Mar. 15 due to a facility issue until further notice

Application support centers

Colorado Denver: Closed March 15 due to hazardous weather.
Texas Harlingen: Will permanently close March 15. 

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-office-closings

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Denver was just snow, they will be back into the 60s next week.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

12 hours ago, nullaccount said:

Are you sure they haven’t processed anything? Have you checked again this weekend? 
I know when I was checking approvals some days approvals would come in on a Saturday or Sunday. 
Just because nothing was approved Thursday/ Friday it does not mean that no work is being done.

I strongly suggest you step away from the immigration process right now because you seem to be hyper focused on the negatives. Have a chat with your partner about various things you can do to make this waiting more palatable. I know when I was feeling like I had not control over my future my partner and I connected and tried to remember the bigger picture not just the day to day waiting. 
ETA:  looking at trackmyvisanow, it looks like cases were being processed on Thursday and Friday. maybe the website WAS DOWN  and it is business as usual with USCIS. 

Edited by Redro

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to USCIS Service Centers forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.