Daphne .

So fed up with USCIS…

28 posts in this topic

So today I made the mistake of calling USCIS to see if there is an update because I was supposed to call them if I hadn’t heard back after 120 days after my last interaction with them. Well, that didn’t go as I had hoped.. Timeline of what happened when:

August 2021: Filed I-751

*crickets*
December 2022: Biometrics
*crickets*

June 2023: Received RFE for evidence of continued marital life, etc (because, and I quote, “your case was submitted in August 2021 so we need updated info”)

June 2023: Submitted requested info, received confirmation from UPS with date and time of receipt by USCIS. I had to send the RFE response info to the California Field Office in Fresno, which I think was odd.. Was told in RFE letter that they would respond within 60 days

September 2023: Contacted USCIS because I received no update or answer. They couldn’t find my RFE response info. They submitted a request and I received an email stating that my case was sent to the California Field Office at the end of 2022 (why is it there??) and that I should call back if I haven’t heard back after 120 days

Today: I called them and they say they still see no record of receiving the RFE response packet I sent, even though I know it was delivered. Rep told me to “send it again because otherwise they might close my case”. While she is on the phone with me, she all of a sudden asks for my phone number and email, and during the call I receive an email asking me to complete the survey on how satisfied I am about USCIS Customer Service (WTH???). 

I get it, mistakes happen and sometimes files get lost etc. but the thing that just makes me SO mad is the fact that they make it so hard to get in touch with them, they give crazy timelines (and don’t you dare call us at day 58 if we told you to wait 60 days), and no helpful info at all! I could have resent the RFE response 4 months ago if they would have just told me that they don’t have it. 

So frustrated right now… 

Edited by Daphne .

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Do you have a proof of delivery of your RFE response?

Yes, I do and I will add it when I send the response packet again. I told the rep, but that of course went nowhere! 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

OMG!!!!   USCIS strikes again!!!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

So sorry you're in this limbo.

Before sending the package again, and in order to avoid confusion, I would contact a Senator first.

Also, where are you now? Are you even close to the Field Office in Fresno?

Edited by Rocio0010
more ideas come to mind, just gotta confirm stuff

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

6 hours ago, Daphne . said:

Yes, I do and I will add it when I send the response packet again. I told the rep, but that of course went nowhere! 

It sounds as if package did get to the “ mailroom “ but never made it to your file….otherwise you would have received a curt Termination of Status Letter for Abandonment  dated a day after RFE due date. 

Like you , I get human error but as others note, conversations with Tier 1 are ffff-rustrating . 

7 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

So sorry you're in this limbo.

Before sending the package again, and in order to avoid confusion, I would contact a Senator first.

Also, where are you now? Are you even close to the Field Office in Fresno?

I am in Minnesota, so that’s why I don’t understand why I had to send the response to Fresno. When I told the rep that this didn’t make sense at all, she said that cases can get moved. I told her that yes I understand that they can move service centers, but moving it to a different field office (especially one at the other side of the country) makes no sense at all. She had no answer. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

2 hours ago, Family said:

It sounds as if package did get to the “ mailroom “ but never made it to your file….otherwise you would have received a curt Termination of Status Letter for Abandonment  dated a day after RFE due date. 

Like you , I get human error but as others note, conversations with Tier 1 are ffff-rustrating . 

That’s what I think too! Technically (according to them) I didn’t respond to the RFE, but my case is still open so something is off.

I’ll try calling them again today, and ask questions a different way, I don’t know.. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Aren't you not eligible for N400 at this point? OR you don't want it? 

If I were you, I'd file it online ASAP 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, Timona said:

Aren't you not eligible for N400 at this point? OR you don't want it? 

If I were you, I'd file it online ASAP 

I really am not interested in becoming a US Citizen, I know it will nudge things and will prevent me from having to deal with USCIS for the rest of my life, but it's just a personal preference. I know I might have to reconsider that, but not really feeling it.. I am already eligible to file.

Edited by Daphne .

“It’s been 84 years…” 

4 hours ago, Daphne . said:

That’s what I think too! Technically (according to them) I didn’t respond to the RFE, but my case is still open so something is off.

I’ll try calling them again today, and ask questions a different way, I don’t know.. 

I recommend you mail in another copy of the response , a letter dated today citing your conversations , in your best Damsel in Distress prose. 

As soon as it’s mailed out , please reach out to Congressman , and ask that they intercede since you are afraid of a repeat . Also write to Omnbudsman, to report issue .

Vent here , many will cheer 😂

5 hours ago, Daphne . said:

They ( as in by phone ) won’t be able to tell you much or even do anything..so don’t waste your energy unless you want to have some fun . 

Your file was farmed out with the intent to update bonafides , get scanned into digital system , hard copies destroyed and an interview waiver approval . 
Somewhere between mailroom and scanner , there was a human error . 

Upload to your USCIS account and then call to your hearts content and specifically ask for Expedite due to Service Error 

Edited by Family

if you decide to send another RFE package, use USPS and pay extra for certified mail + electronic return receipt. 

im not a big fan of usps after the whole fiasco when they "lost" my foreign passport for 2 weeks and prefered fedex or UPS to file USCIS package for other people. i might be wrong, but as far as i know, only USPS that have that certified mail and electronic return receipt offering. 

too many horror story when people sent the RFE and uscis "lost" it and it seems tracking number is not enough if you decide to fight them. last december i helped people filed for RFE and i warned them and make sure to add extra option for certified mail and electronic return receipt. the status changed to " RFE response received" 2 days after USCIS received it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.