LynnSunshine

Domicile and Proof of Income while living in Canada

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello 

I'm overwhelmed by this entire process. My husband (USC sponsor/applicant) and I (Canadian, beneficiary) have been living in Canada together since 2010. 

I sponsored him to come live in Canada because it was a much simpler process than the other way around. But we're not happy here.

The US has more options for tolerable weather, and my career.

I was stupid to think that the I-130 was the hard part. We applied online.

The good news is that it was approved in less than a year.

The NVC sent me an email last October "Introduction to Document Collection". I see that I need to fill out form I-864 Affidavit of Support, to provide proof of domicile and US income.

I'm just baffled that we have to proof we plan to establish domicile... like, why would we go to all this trouble just to stay in Canada? 

We don't have anyone we can use as a joint sponsor.  We have liquid assets that are cashable (we'll have to cash in TSFA's regardless as you can only hold TSFA if you have Canadian residency), so my plan is to cash it out and transfer funds to our US based bank account.  But I have seen some scary comments on here and other forums saying that Montreal is notorious for not approving visa's for those using assets as proof of income.  I also saw a comment somewhere that you have to have 5x the annual poverty-line income if using assets as proof of income -- but isn't it supposed to be 3 x? 

We don't have kids. Potentially my husband could move down there, get a job and a place for us. But I don't know any employer who would be okay with him taking the time off he'd need for a consular interview and again later to move me and the dogs down to the USA.   

Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Timeline:

I don't understand most of the timeline codes on this forum.

October 2022:  I-130 submitted online

September 2023: I-130 approved and notified via email and by physical mail

September 2023: NVC emailed us that they are ready to collect documents from us "Introduction to Document Collection"

September 2023 to Feb 2023:  frozen in fear after seeing all the complex steps that we have to take to complete this process

Feb 5 2023: paid NVC filing fee and AOS fee

Currently: trying to figure out how to properly fill out I-864 and provide proof of income and domicile while living in Canada

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hate to say it, but Canadians are notoriously awful for wanting to sit on the fence - they get US PR but don't move or take their sweet time.  Montreal, as a result, is a notoriously strict consulate for proving domicile.  Canadians have pretty lax attitudes because they don't require a formal visa process to visit (and are one of the worst offenders for overstays).  As a result, many Canadians forget that immigration is a privilege, not a right and the US isn't obligated to allow Canadians in.   

I trust your husband has been filing his US income tax while residing in Canada.  That will be needed.  

You could choose to move your assets now and fulfill the requirements of the AOS.  That form can be updated to reflect your husband's US work when you appear for your interview.  

If you own a house, you'll want to sell it before he (and you) moves to the US.  Dealing with CRA NRA and tax withholding is a ROYAL pain in the rear.   

When you do finally get to the interview, your husband isn't required to be there.  It's just you.  He's not even allowed into the Consulate.  But as it stands, if you're not yet documentarily qualified, you have another probably 3 months for the DS-260 et al to be approved once you submit and you have a 4-5 month wait for an interview after that.  I would imagine that your husband would have some vacation time accrued in that time to come move you.  You may also want to consider downsizing and keeping it simple on the Canadian end.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Potentially my husband could move down there, get a job and a place for us.

This

But I don't know any employer who would be okay with him taking the time off he'd need for a consular interview and again later to move me and the dogs down to the USA.   

He is not the one interviewed you are.

Can you not move yourself?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, LynnSunshine said:

I'm just baffled that we have to proof we plan to establish domicile... like, why would we go to all this trouble just to stay in Canada? 

A family re-unification visa is for reuniting families inside the US.  It's the law.   That's why all petitioners must prove domicile in the US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will want to pop over the the Canada forum if you haven't found it yet. https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

and check out the FAQ https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/734707-cr1ir1-montreal-faq/

and the ongoing thread with CR1/IR1 https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/804105-the-big-ir-1cr-1-dqd-message-group-part-v/

You are going to need more Montreal specific experience, advice and support.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

He is not the one interviewed you are.  

I assumed that he would have to be at the interview too. If he doesn't then great. 

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Can you not move yourself?

When I immigrated my husband to Canada, it was a requirement for to be with him at the border. So I assumed it would be the same for me to move down there?  

Besides all that, there's no way I'm going to drive all that way with two dogs without someone with me, and flying isn't an option. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, LynnSunshine said:

So I assumed it would be the same for me to move down there?  

The US spouse must arrive in the US either any time  before or at the same time as the immigrant.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, mam521 said:

I trust your husband has been filing his US income tax while residing in Canada.  That will be needed.  

Yes, that's about the only thing he's been doing. He hasn't been voting. In fact, he's never voted in any US elections (facepalm). 

I just can't imagine living apart for 4-6 months while we wait for all of this.

There is no such thing as downsizing here when it comes to rent, not in my area anyway. Rental prices and real estate both went through the roof here. So even if I downsized this two bedroom to a 1 bedroom, I wouldn't be able to find anything cheaper.  I will reluctantly have to live with my parents, which is in itself a risk to my mental health but it may be my only option. 

Thank you for your input, very helpful 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can both visit during the process, you have 6 months from the date of the medical to move.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, LynnSunshine said:

Besides all that, there's no way I'm going to drive all that way with two dogs without someone with me, and flying isn't an option. 

The best path forward through the Montreal Consulate is for your US citizen husband to move to the US 4-6 months before your estimated visa interview date, to establish domicile, get a driver's license, rent or buy a place to live, open a checking account, etc., and get a job as your primary financial sponsor, then he can go up to Canada for a week to help you move to the US after your visa is in hand.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Quite assuming and do your homework, but reading instructions and learning the process.  Harsh, but necessary.

Really? It's necessary to be rude?

QUIT assuming that I haven't read instructions. Just because I have read them does NOT mean I understand them. Isn't that what this forum is for, to get help with understanding the very complicated US immigration process?

You are the exact reason why I was scared to post on here. I have read A LOT of information about the immigration process.

I immigrated my husband to Canada in 2010, I have been through the hard work and reading countless instructions. US immigration forms are horrible and confusing.   

Try being kind next time.

Timeline
39 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I'm sure you would LIKE your husband to be there to help you move, but in reality that is not necessary.  You can hire a moving company to do it ALL.  They will come and pack and move everything you didn't already get rid of.

Sure, if we had loads of money to throw around. If I could afford movers I wouldn't be doing this process myself at all – I would hire an immigration lawyer.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

open a checking account

Great, thanks for the info.  We're already a step ahead with one thing at least... with the checking account. We've had a US based bank account since 2018.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.