15 posts in this topic

I wonder if anyone can offer help or advice on a few issues I've had with my wait time for the I-751, here is my timeline so far:

September 13, 2021 We received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.
November 8, 2021 The Post Office returned your document to us.
November 8, 2021 We mailed your document for your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.
January 12, 2022 The fingerprints relating to your Form I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, were taken.
June 13, 2022 We sent a request for additional evidence for your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.
July 29, 2022 We received your response for Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.
August 15, 2022 Your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, was transferred to another office for processing.
August 16, 2022 We transferred your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, to another USCIS office that now has jurisdiction over your case.
September 1, 2022 We are ready to schedule your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, for an interview.
October 16, 2022 Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

As you can see I've been waiting 28 months which i don't believe is normal.  I understand the RFE would have slowed things down but i completed it promptly.  My case was also transferred to National Benefits Center Lee's Summit MO (I live in Nevada) on 08/15/2021.

The interview that they advised they are ready to schedule on 09/01/2022 never happened, I received no appointment notice and by 10/16/2022 it was updated again to show my fingerprints were taken.

I received a 48 month extension on my green card on 03/01/2023 which will expire 12/03/2024 so i am starting to get a little worried.  I am unable to call them as it is all automated and terminates the call when i ask to speak to an agent and I am unable to complete the "Case Outside Normal Processing Time" online form i get the following error (see atatched) and it doesn't let me proceed.

Is this a normal wait time or does anyone have any ideas of who and how to contact USCIS if it is not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 09-59-35 e-Request - Outside Normal Processing Time.png

1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

Yes, it’s normal. @Crazy Cat waited 44 months, applied for N-400 during the wait and ended up having combo interview for I-751 and N-400. 

So will they just send me another extension before my current extension expires on 12/03/2024?

I guess the the online form to track "Case Outside Normal Processing time" not working really made me nervous.

Just now, Adam1990 said:

So will they just send me another extension before my current extension expires on 12/03/2024?

I guess the the online form to track "Case Outside Normal Processing time" not working really made me nervous.

Try at a later time, USCIS website is very wonky. 

No, they will not. If you will need to travel or show your status for work, you will have to get an ADIT stamp at a field office. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Adam1990 said:

Ive been trying the website for over a year and still the same thing.

I'll need to look into this ADIT stamp as I have never heard of it and if this keeps up will most likely need one.

Thanks for the info

Sadly, the I-751 has a low priority overall.  Fortunately for some, USCIS has processed some cases last-in, first out to improve their processing times.  We filed our I-751 in March 2019....No RFEs.  "Ready to be scheduled for an interview" in May 2019.......silence..... until wife filed her N-400 in Aug 2022......both I-751 and N-400 were approved during a combo interview in December 2022.  I suggest anyone waiting to file the N-400 as soon as you are eligible. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Yeah i have no interest in becoming a Citizen so wont be filing for Naturalization, I'm just spending a few years here and then moving my wife and myself back to my home country. 

I hope filing the N-400 isn't what kickstarts the I-751 process after long periods of silence otherwise I'll be waiting a long time indeed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Adam1990 said:

I hope filing the N-400 isn't what kickstarts the I-751 process after long periods of silence otherwise I'll be waiting a long time indeed.

That is exactly what happened for my wife....and some others, too.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Adam1990 said:

Yeah i have no interest in becoming a Citizen so wont be filing for Naturalization, I'm just spending a few years here and then moving my wife and myself back to my home country. 

If your home country allow dual citizen, then go ahead apply for N400. 

12 minutes ago, Adam1990 said:

Wont I have to pay USA taxes if i move to my home country as well as their taxes?

Not necessarily. You'll have to file a US tax return, but that's the case for green card holders too anyway. And you may not have any taxes due depending on your circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Adam1990 said:

Wont I have to pay USA taxes if i move to my home country as well as their taxes?

LPRs are expected to file/pay if applicable as well.

1 hour ago, Adam1990 said:

You have to file taxes yes. There's an exclusion, about $130K. If you'll be earning less than that, you won't need to pay anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As an LPR, you're still expected to file US income tax unless you formally rescind your US PR.  By leaving the US and letting your PR expire doesn't mean you're off the hook, either.  That just means your PR card has expired.  

If you get citizenship, you're still responsible for those taxes, but you can live anywhere in the world without worrying so much about being pulled into secondary or being handed a notice to appear because you're on record as an LPR, stayed out of country for an extended period of time and are attempting to reenter, even just for a visit.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.