21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi

My husband and i got married in 2022 and he filed an i-130 last year(2023)…we got approved and the case is at NVC currently for the next step

The problem is when filing he used his surname for the forms

but my passport has my maiden name since i had it done before we got married

All other documents are in my maiden name but my name on the case file shows my husband’s name

the lawyer said to get a new passport in my husbands name or else my green card will have my maiden name

i dont mind that…but will it be an issue during the interview?

or do i have to officially get a name change document?

Has anyone had a similar issue or has heard anything like this before?

what do i do please?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Fire that lawyer.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

on the ds 260  use your married name (if u choose to go by that)

all other forms of ID are also listed  

this will  allow the green card to come in married name

and yes fire the lawyer

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
27 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

and yes fire the lawyer

I don’t know much but according to the othe name change thread, the will use whatever name is on your passport for the gc, visa and ssn. If you want to use your married name, indications are that your passport must have it.

9 hours ago, Naa_Vee said:

Hi

My husband and i got married in 2022 and he filed an i-130 last year(2023)…we got approved and the case is at NVC currently for the next step

All other documents are in my maiden name but my name on the case file shows my husband’s name

the lawyer said to get a new passport in my husbands name or else my green card will have my maiden name

what do i do please?

It will not be an issue as name change upon marriage is not a requirement 

4 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

and yes fire the lawyer

No it won't. GC will be issued in passport name as that's what State Department uses for printing the visa. If she's ok with maiden name then nothing to be done. If she's not ok with this, it will cost the I-90 for name change to married. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

and yes fire the lawyer

For the visa and green card to be issued in the married name, the passport must be in that name...AND.....use it on all the forms going forward.

Aside, not sure why people are saying fire the lawyer.  He gave the same advice I and others are giving here.  Sure, it would have been better if he gave the advice to get a new passport sooner, but it is not too late.  It is only needed in time for the interview.  It's ok if the current passport is scanned and uploaded to NVC.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The lawyer is absolutely correct. If you don't get a new passport with your married name, then your visa and GC will be issued with your maiden name in your current passport. It doesn't matter if you use your married name to complete DS-260.

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 1/7/2024 at 1:38 AM, Naa_Vee said:

Hi

what do i do please?

Go to the court and do affidavit of name showing that both surnames are the same person 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, delawan said:

Go to the court and do affidavit of name showing that both surnames are the same person 

38 minutes ago, delawan said:

My wife's is still waiting for an interview CR1 since Jan 2024.... Have you guys receive interview date yet?

Timeline
5 hours ago, delawan said:

My wife's is still waiting for an interview CR1 since Jan 2024.... Have you guys receive interview date yet?

Same here…dq in January 2024

but the wait time in Gh is 12-14months i think…so she has more waiting to do

They last issued Letters to those who dq in April 2023

Timeline
20 hours ago, Naa_Vee said:

Yeaah…already did that so i have the affidavit showing both names represents me

15 hours ago, Naa_Vee said:

Same here…dq in January 2024

but the wait time in Gh is 12-14months i think…so she has more waiting to do

They last issued Letters to those who dq in April 2023

Is your husband US citizen?  I  heard they give US citizen the first available date.  Have you guys thought of switching  to Togo or  Ivory Coast? 

Timeline
5 hours ago, delawan said:

Is your husband US citizen?  I  heard they give US citizen the first available date.  Have you guys thought of switching  to Togo or  Ivory Coast? 

Yes…he’s a citizen 

they give accordingly to visa categories 

eg..IR1 and CR1 are spouses of U.S. citizens and F1 is for green card holders

so they mostly prioritize the IR and CR

F1 usually takes longer

6 hours ago, delawan said:

Yeaah…

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 4/4/2024 at 3:20 AM, Naa_Vee said:

Yeaah…already did that so i have the affidavit showing both names represents me

Did you get a new passport?  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.