Kudos

Failure to stop for a school bus in NY

14 posts in this topic

Hello. This morning I failed to make a full stop at an school bus. I was dumb and ignorant because we were in opposite directions. However, that doesn't mean I'm less responsible. I feel awful at my-self. I was just granted a GC a few months ago and now this happens.

There was no cops around so I just kept driving while thinking of this huge mistake. I'm sure a ticket will be in the mail or maybe a citation. Will my GC status will be put at risk? That's my question. 

Thank you. 

Be mindful while driving folks, this headache is so unnecessary. I'm an idiot. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Not sure I would freak out.  I assume no one was injured.  I don't think you will be getting a ticket although one is warranted (might be state dependent).  If you do receive a ticket it will be a moving violation that you will need to take care of, but it will not jeopardize your LPR status.  Learn from your mistake, and don't do it again.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

just be careful and if driving out of the state read a little about other state's laws

I moved to Georgia and didn't know u had to stop for a funeral procession -on a divided 4 lane road coming opposite of me

NY laws are strange like u have to drive with at least one hand on steering wheel and wear shoes 

Many of these laws are for insurance purposes and would be important if u were responsible for an accident

school buses is a biggy as kids can get off and cross the road so hard lesson learned /there's a lot to take in

Best to u in your new life in the US  / stay warm

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

just be careful and if driving out of the state read a little about other state's laws

I moved to Georgia and didn't know u had to stop for a funeral procession -on a divided 4 lane road coming opposite of me

NY laws are strange like u have to drive with at least one hand on steering wheel and wear shoes 

Many of these laws are for insurance purposes and would be important if u were responsible for an accident

school buses is a biggy as kids can get off and cross the road so hard lesson learned /there's a lot to take in

Best to u in your new life in the US  / stay warm

Do you think this will bite me right in the butt? I just want to keep my LPR status safe. 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Kudos said:

Do you think this will bite me right in the butt? I just want to keep my LPR status safe. 

No.  Chances are you will not even get a ticket for the moving violation.  Similar story, I was a firefighter for several years, and here in MI there is a law that says you must move over, or yield for any emergency vehicle that is responding with lights and sirens active.  The problem is that an ambulance, police car, or fire truck is not going to try and make a traffic stop while they are responding to an emergency situation if someone does not yield.  Now there is always the chance a police officer may be nearby when an ambulance or fire truck are in emergency mode, but those chances are slim.  Like I said earlier, I doubt you will ever see a ticket, but even if you do, it is not a deportable/loss of LPR status type of thing.

Good Luck!

I’m also in NY and school buses make me nervous cause of the fine. My brother in law got a fine in the mail few months ago and it was $300 (ouch).

But to address you point, this won’t cause issues with your LPR status. At least as far as I know it’s not a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT). 

Edited by powerpuff

53 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

No.  Chances are you will not even get a ticket for the moving violation.  Similar story, I was a firefighter for several years, and here in MI there is a law that says you must move over, or yield for any emergency vehicle that is responding with lights and sirens active.  The problem is that an ambulance, police car, or fire truck is not going to try and make a traffic stop while they are responding to an emergency situation if someone does not yield.  Now there is always the chance a police officer may be nearby when an ambulance or fire truck are in emergency mode, but those chances are slim.  Like I said earlier, I doubt you will ever see a ticket, but even if you do, it is not a deportable/loss of LPR status type of thing.

Good Luck!

The thing is that NYS passed a law that allows school buses to have cameras. When you pass by when it has stop signs out, you’ll most certainly get a ticket in the mail. You can even see the video of your offense online :content: I must admit it’s a pretty effective policy. I’m more careful now around school buses 

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
15 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

The thing is that NYS passed a law that allows school buses to have cameras. When you pass by when it has stop signs out, you’ll most certainly get a ticket in the mail. You can even see the video of your offense online :content: I must admit it’s a pretty effective policy. I’m more careful now around school buses 

Thanks for explaining that, and it is good to know if I ever get back to NYS.  Interesting side story along my fire department time.  It was drilled into us when driving one of our trucks that we would always stop for a school bus with its lights activated even if we were responding to an emergency.  Our chief and his bosses never wanted to see a scene with a fire truck hurting or killing a child which makes sense.  Mostly though, bus drivers would see the emergency vehicle responding, and would do like most drivers, pull to the side of the road and yield.

19 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Thanks for explaining that, and it is good to know if I ever get back to NYS.  Interesting side story along my fire department time.  It was drilled into us when driving one of our trucks that we would always stop for a school bus with its lights activated even if we were responding to an emergency.  Our chief and his bosses never wanted to see a scene with a fire truck hurting or killing a child which makes sense.  Mostly though, bus drivers would see the emergency vehicle responding, and would do like most drivers, pull to the side of the road and yield.

It’s like you read my mind because I was wondering what happens if an ambulance or fire fighter truck comes across a school bus with flashing lights and stop sign out.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

From the little reading that I've done about NYS and school buses - Looks like they can have cameras but not necessarily. 

In the worst case you can get $400 ticket and 5 points on your license (then your insurance will go up). If you don't get anything in the mail in the next 90 days you'll be fine. It will not have effect on your LPR status. It is waste of money :) 

Live and learn.

Effective August 19, 2019, school districts and municipalities are authorized to use stop-arm cameras on school buses.

As New York Vehicle and Traffic Law section 1174(c) explains, anyone who is convicted of a violation of the laws requiring motorists to stop for school buses could be fined. The fine for a fist conviction is a minimum of $250 and a maximum of $400.

A motorist will also get five points on his or her driver’s license. Accumulating 11 points or more during a single 18-month period can result in a motorist having his or her license to drive suspended. Five points is a substantial number of points for a motorist. If a motorist commits a third offense of failing to stop for a school bus, however, he doesn’t even have to acquire 11 points on his record to lose his license. A third offense results in the mandatory revocation of the motorist’s license to drive a car.

The record of unlawfully failing to stop for a school bus will also make it impossible to get any job that requires a clean driving record and will send auto insurance rates skyrocketing for most motorists who are convicted of this violation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 hours ago, Kudos said:

No   Immigration is not the traffic police 

From a legal and immigration standpoint camera tickets are generally not charged as infractions.  The fine is a "civil penalty" or in the case of NY State it seems it is a "notice of liability".  It's legally equivalent to a glorified parking ticket.  While there certainly are infractions or more serious charges that could be made, if they did that on camera tickets then everyone would have the right to their day in court, right to be served notice, etc etc.  It's unprofitable applied to a camera ticket scheme.  In terms of immigration, I don't think a "civil penalty" or a "notice of liability" has any significance at all.  It's not even an infraction.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

One thing I might add to the camera tickets. If they dont have a picture of the operator and just the plate number the owner gets the ticket as you are responsible for the operation of your vehicle. Back in the 70s the German Police would come to our barracks to collect the fines. With him would be a picture of your car with the plate and you operating it. Hard to dispute the violation and we just paid lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.