Silverberry1331

Field investigation/Home visit nightmare?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I hope you all can help me.  My sister and Joe (from Lagos) have been married for just under two years (and were together a year before that).  She has had several visits and mom and dad went over once too when they got married. They are in the process of petitioning for spousal visa.  He received his interview (passport not taken) and was put into AP about six months ago.  They have received very little word in terms of updates since then. Now something very strange has happened:  Yesterday, Joe's mom said that a man came to the door asking all sorts of questions about him.  The man was not really clear about who he was or why he was asking these questions.  Naturally, she refused to answer.  Upon finding this out, Joe asked around and was told by a few neighbors that a USCIS agent came out and was asking all sorts of questions about their relationship and my sister.  Joe is now in the process of asking his employer if he has heard anything.    

This is crazy!  I have heard of background checks and AP.  My own husband, who is from Morocco, went into AP temporarily, but he was only in there for less than two weeks.  He has been here for a while and has since naturalized (but he came in 2011 and naturalized in 2017, so I get that things could have changed sin then). 

Has anyone had this happen to them?  Was it this extreme?  Can the COs actually do this?   This sounds invasive.  I tried searching for this on VJ and elsewhere.  I have seen some others on the boards mention "home visit" and "field investigation" but I haven't seen much detail, so I don't know if this means that.   Then there is the issue that his mother's refusal to answer questions (understandably not wanting to talk to a total stranger who wouldn't really identify themselves).   What do you recommend they do?  

I really appreciate your wisdom!

Edited by Silverberry1331
Quick add to the story for context.

Met: 3/2010
Married: 1/12/11
Sent Paperwork to Chicago Lockbox: 4/16/2011
Received NOA1: 4/21/2011 (routed to California Service Center)
Received NOA2: 7/11/2011
NVC Receives case: 8/18/2011 (case number issued and acquired via phone inquiry)
NVC sends correspondence: 8/23/11
Change of Agent form sent: 8/23/11
Paid I-864 invoice: 8/23/11
I-864 invoice shows paid: 8/25/11
IV Invoice bill: 09/01/11
IV Invoice paid: 09/01/11
Mailed out Visa Package to NVC: 09/09/11
Received application acknowledgement confirmation from NVC: 09/16/11
Mailed out Affidavit of Support: 09/18/11
NVC received Affidavit of Support: 9/20/11
NVC Case Complete: 9/26/11
Interview Appointment Received: 10/6/11 (Interview scheduled for November 9th 2011)
Interview: 11/9/11 (pending)
Consulate calls Faisal and reschedules interview because of holiday closure: 10/27/11
New Interview Date: 11/22/11
Interview Status: APPROVED
Arrival in US: 12/21/11
POE: Miami
ARRIVED!!!!!!! Welcome home!!!!!
Received Green Card: 1/25/12
Received SS Card: 2/1/12
Faisal's first job: 2/15/12
Faisal's first day of school: 8/26/2012
Pregnant: 9/6/2012

It's a Girl!: 6/2/2013

Sent out Removal of conditions paperwork: 9/22/13

Received receipt from Homeland Security: 10/1/2013

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Silverberry1331 said:

This sounds invasive.

What do you recommend they do?  

I have heard of this. It has been said that Lagos is in a fraud category of its own.  I have definitely heard of field investigations after interviews.  Nothing they can do at this point.   Maybe Joe knows why they are asking questions.  Has Joe been married there before?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Verrou said:

joe lives in Lagos ? there's no USCIS officer outside america. outside america case handled by consulate.

was wondering if its scam? i never hear consulate office went for home visit before.

Ah thanks so much for asking this.  That is my mistake.  I used the term interchangeably.  Doh!  Do you still feel the same way upon hearing this?  I appreciate you chiming in and asking for clarification.

NVC Receives case: 8/18/2011 (case number issued and acquired via phone inquiry)
Interview Appointment Received: 10/6/11 (Interview scheduled for November 9th 2011)
Consulate calls Faisal and reschedules interview because of holiday closure: 10/27/11

event.png

Ah thanks so much for asking this.  That is my mistake.  I used the term interchangeably.  Doh!  Do you still feel the same way upon hearing this?  I appreciate you chiming in and asking for clarification.

It would be DOS, not USCIS.

Nigeria is in its own category in terms of fraud, and it sounds like they are investigating him.

Typical fraud for that country is related to fake documents or falsified marital histories and familial relationships.

Edited by SalishSea

Nothing Joe can do. DoS have the final say. If it’s bonafide marriage, it shouldn’t and hopefully won’t be a problem 

Timeline

Thank you so much for your input.  I have never heard of this before.  

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes ,  it has happened in Nigeria before 

officer should have shown his ID to the mom for this visit

One i remember was 2 or 3 years ago and was asked about here on VJ

I recall the officer visiting while the spouse was home and at that visit he also called the US spouse and asked questions about the house in Nigeria itself as supposedly she had stayed there.  The USC never followed up here on VJ with the outcome and didn't post a timeline

Only thing that sounds strange is "no ID shown"   and  " only 1 officer"   

i believe 2 came in the other post

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.