srkicarinho

Working on a cruise ship (c1d visa) while being married with Us citizen

10 posts in this topic

Very good day,

I'm writing from Serbia and  my future wife is US citizen. We are planning to get married in Serbia next week. I am working on the cruise ship and we met 7 months ago, we love each other, she was several times on the cruise and she is planning to come to Serbia. I got new contract to join ship in Alaska on my c1d visa. The plan is to get married and that we start process regarding  marriage Green card CR-1. The question is : Can I work on the cruise ship during that processing time? i mean would I have any potential issues joining the ship and I just have C1D visa? I'm not planning to stay in us, I just want to work during that time and when the process is done i will then go there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
23 minutes ago, srkicarinho said:

Very good day,

I'm writing from Serbia and  my future wife is US citizen. We are planning to get married in Serbia next week. I am working on the cruise ship and we met 7 months ago, we love each other, she was several times on the cruise and she is planning to come to Serbia. I got new contract to join ship in Alaska on my c1d visa. The plan is to get married and that we start process regarding  marriage Green card CR-1. The question is : Can I work on the cruise ship during that processing time? i mean would I have any potential issues joining the ship and I just have C1D visa? I'm not planning to stay in us, I just want to work during that time and when the process is done i will then go there.

If you have a current c1d visa in hand you will be ok to work within the scope of that visa. Applying fir spouse visa will not be affected by the C1d. However you may face a denial of a new c1d if you need to apply for it before the spouse visa  is approved (18 months approx). This is because the spouse visa application will demonstrate immigrant intent and the c1d is non immigrant. 

Thank you very much for your reply.

My C1d visa is expiring in 10 months time so I should be okay.

When I asked would  I have any issues i was thinking of me entering US port.

Can I enter Us port whit out any issues with my c1d visa even if I apply for CR1?

And do you think is better to marry in Serbia or maybe in one of the ports after I join the ship?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

With the C1d you can work the cruise ship on your contract(s) right up to getting spouse visa

and then pay the visa fee , come to US ,  activate the green card,  enjoy a honeymoon and when the SS card comes,  work with cruise ship with the I 551 stamp on visa till green card comes

good thing about the spouse visa is you can work

stepdaughter (USC) and her husband (Canadian)  worked cruise ship(s)  till their visa was approved /and they applied for her permanent residence to Canada and his green card to US /  the Canadian permanent came thru 1st  so they live in Canada

His C1d visa did not interfer with his spouse visa petition

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
28 minutes ago, srkicarinho said:

Thank you very much for your reply.

My C1d visa is expiring in 10 months time so I should be okay.

When I asked would  I have any issues i was thinking of me entering US port.

Can I enter Us port whit out any issues with my c1d visa even if I apply for CR1?

And do you think is better to marry in Serbia or maybe in one of the ports after I join the ship?

marry whereever u are able to marry

on Cd1 u can leave the ship for port of US on temporary basis / or  fly into Alaska to board the ship 

u can't stay on Cd1 in USA on this visa 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, srkicarinho said:

Can I work on the cruise ship during that processing time?

Yes

i mean would I have any potential issues joining the ship and I just have C1D visa?

Not if the CO and CBP officers are thinking logically. Logically C1D is the best visa to have when there is a pending I-130 or immigration visa.

U.S. 

1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

However you may face a denial of a new c1d if you need to apply for it before the spouse visa  is approved (18 months approx). This is because the spouse visa application will demonstrate immigrant intent and the c1d is non immigrant

C1D is also a visa that does not permit adjustment of status to an LPR. So, logically:

* C1D should not be denied

* The U.S. government prefers C1D over a most other non immigrant visas, such as B or F-1 student.

Whether the CO or CBPO applies logic is anyone’s guess.

Reference: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-b-chapter-7

A. Crewmen

A nonimmigrant crewman is barred from adjusting status.[1] This bar applies to an applicant serving as a crewman who is permitted to land as a D-1 or D-2 nonimmigrant, as shown on the applicant’s Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) or Crewman’s Landing Permit (Form I-95), and by the corresponding visa contained in the crewman’s passport. The bar also applies to an applicant who was admitted as a C-1 nonimmigrant to join a crew.[2]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are using your C/D for its intended use and going through Consulate processing.

We have a mega thread about visiting the US whilst your immigrant visa is processing, most people there do so without issue. And they can adjust, you cannot.

Could you have a problem, maybe but anyone can have a problem, not something I would worry about. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, srkicarinho said:

Perfect guys,

Thank you very much for the quick reply's it helped a lot.

Hopefully everything is going to be alright.

If you can get a new C1d visa issued now (before marrying), it would take away all doubt, but if not, you should have no problems getting a new one later because you are barred from adjusting status from it anyway.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I know you said that you do not intend to stay in the US with your C1D, and others have reminded you that you are ineligible to adjust status with that visa, but I will reiterate:

Please, please, please, do not overstay in the US on your C1D. My wife made this mistake, and it has caused nothing but issues and very long delays for our journey. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.