jundc

Hand-delivering RFE response on due date?

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

My husband (conditional LPR) and I (US citizen) are in a stressful situation this weekend and was hoping some folks here might know the answer to some of our questions.

We filed for removal of conditions in September 2021. We got a RFE a few months ago saying that since so much time has passed since we filed that, they want recent evidence that we continue to be married.

We stupidly wrote down the wrong due date for the RFE response, and when we went assemble our response packet this weekend, we saw that the due date is actually this Monday (the 3rd, tomorrow). We scrambled as fast as we could on Saturday, but missed the last pick-up for FedEx express/overnight.

The RFE says we should send our response to the field office in Portland, OR.

We're not super optimistic about this, but our plan at the moment is to drive the couple hours to Portland on Monday, and see if we can drop it off in person. If the guard does not let us do that, we'll ask the guard if couriers are allowed to deliver to the field office and what address they should use. Then we'd call a local same-day local courier in Portland to take the packet from our hands inside the building.

So, a couple questions, for anyone who has an idea about one or more:

1) Does anyone know whether the Portland field office has any way for people to leave mail in some kind of drop box?

2) Does anyone know whether a local courier would be able to drop something off when we are not?

3) The RFE says "You must send the requested information by mail to the address shown below by July 3, 2023." . Is there a chance they mean that it needs to be postmarked by July 3rd and not necessarily received by then?

4) Somewhat similar to the above, does USCIS ever consider things that arrive a day after the due date?
5) If the removal of conditions application is denied because of this, what happens next? Does my husband need to leave the country immediately? Can we re-apply through an I-130 petition?

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide. This has been an incredible stressful and scary weekend for us.

1) No hand delivery cannot be done to USCIS. the only acceptable are Fedex, USPS, UPS mail carriers

2) check this out https://www.uspsconnect.com/local - same day delivery 

3) no the package must be delivered to the address by the due date 

4) no idea what will happen but the risk is they might deny your case

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
13 minutes ago, jundc said:

If the removal of conditions application is denied because of this, what happens next? Does my husband need to leave the country immediately? Can we re-apply through an I-130 petition?

Try for same day delivery tomorrow, with UPS/USPS/Fedex.  Keep proof of the same day delivery receipt.  You may be okay.  If they deny the I-751 because of missing the RFE deadline, send a letter to the Portland field office explaining the situation and include the receipt.  If that doesn't work, file a new I-751 package.  Your husband does not need to leave the US, he continues to be a legal permanent resident, only an immigration judge can revoke his status.  No need to start over with I-130.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 hours ago, jundc said:

Hi,

My husband (conditional LPR) and I (US citizen) are in a stressful situation this weekend and was hoping some folks here might know the answer to some of our questions.

We filed for removal of conditions in September 2021. We got a RFE a few months ago saying that since so much time has passed since we filed that, they want recent evidence that we continue to be married.

We stupidly wrote down the wrong due date for the RFE response, and when we went assemble our response packet this weekend, we saw that the due date is actually this Monday (the 3rd, tomorrow). We scrambled as fast as we could on Saturday, but missed the last pick-up for FedEx express/overnight.

The RFE says we should send our response to the field office in Portland, OR.

We're not super optimistic about this, but our plan at the moment is to drive the couple hours to Portland on Monday, and see if we can drop it off in person. If the guard does not let us do that, we'll ask the guard if couriers are allowed to deliver to the field office and what address they should use. Then we'd call a local same-day local courier in Portland to take the packet from our hands inside the building.

So, a couple questions, for anyone who has an idea about one or more:

1) Does anyone know whether the Portland field office has any way for people to leave mail in some kind of drop box?

2) Does anyone know whether a local courier would be able to drop something off when we are not?

3) The RFE says "You must send the requested information by mail to the address shown below by July 3, 2023." . Is there a chance they mean that it needs to be postmarked by July 3rd and not necessarily received by then?

4) Somewhat similar to the above, does USCIS ever consider things that arrive a day after the due date?
5) If the removal of conditions application is denied because of this, what happens next? Does my husband need to leave the country immediately? Can we re-apply through an I-130 petition?

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide. This has been an incredible stressful and scary weekend for us.

Get the response to carrier asap..and send it same day delivery or overnight delivery.  I doubt there will be any issues...unless your REFE response is insufficient.   Even then, final ROC denials are extremely rare.   The very worst case scenario would be that you get your day in court. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Thanks for all the helpful responses! 

An update: My husband drove to Portland today, and as expected, the guard said they no longer allow people to drop things off in person. The guard was helpful though, and suggested a nearby FedEx where it might be possible to get same-day delivery. (It looks like that USPS same-day delivery is for businesses only)

Most importantly, the guard said that for the due date, they look at when it was postmarked, not when it was received. (You're right, @Family) So we've feeling super relieved to hear that.

I'll add another update when we get a response from USCIS to share whether this actually worked.

12 hours ago, jundc said:

Most importantly, the guard said that for the due date, they look at when it was postmarked, not when it was received. (You're right, @Family) So we've feeling super relieved to hear that

At least you know your husband will go to the end of the world for you..so look at that effort as a magnificent show of love. 

I will humbly point out…I am usually right 😂.

Next step for you will be an approval of the I-751 without an interview ( assuming you put together a solid response ) .

Timeline

USCIS is often liberal with some deadlines as well so you may not even run into any issue.

I double checked the RFE we got some time ago and it does say you must "submit by [DATE]", not that USCIS must "receive by [DATE]".

I doubt they have a rejection letter ready to go at 12:01am if the RFE isn't on their desk.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
45 minutes ago, jundc said:

my husband got his removal of conditions application approved and now has his 10 year green card

Thanks for returning with the happy update.  You must both feel wonderful!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 hours ago, jundc said:

Update: After mailing our RFE response on the due date (specifically sending it overnight via FedEx from the same city that we needed to send it to), my husband got his removal of conditions application approved and now has his 10 year green card!! 🎉 

Thanks all for the reassurances and information! If someone else finds themselves in this stressful situation, know that there is cause for hope.

Congratulations!!!  Well done!!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.