NihonReboot

I am American, fiance is Vietnamese, we live in Japan and want to move to America

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We are unsure how to go about doing this. My department was let go at the end of 2022 and since I have not been able to find work, I have to go back to America.

I am engaged with a Vietnamese girl who wants to go with me. Should we register our marriage in Japan or wait until she visits America and then register it in America?

How do I go about getting the correct documents submitted for her?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Thank you for sharing this, but we are not married yet. We are trying to figure out if we need to marry here in Japan, or go to America and register our marriage there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 hours ago, NihonReboot said:

and register our marriage there.

There is no US marriage registry.  She cannot enter the US as a visitor with the intent to stay.  I suggest you immediately marry either in Japan or via a Utah online marriage, then immediately start the spousal visa process.  In about 2 years, she can enter the US with the visa.  You can enter the US alone, start work, and establish domicile during the wait.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

There is no US marriage registry.  She cannot enter the US as a visitor with the intent to stay.  I suggest you immediately marry either in Japan or via a Utah online marriage, then immediately start the spousal visa process.  In about 2 years, she can enter the US with the visa.  You can enter the US alone, start work, and establish domicile during the wait.

Unless I find a job in the next 2 weeks, I have to leave Japan by the end of July. She is in the process of getting a tourist visa so we can spend winter together in Florida. During her time here we want to register for marriage and then she would go back to Japan while I continue getting the place ready and doing the paperwork. Would there be any issues? Also would Utah online marriage work if we do not live in Utah? We are planning for Florida since my family is there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
17 minutes ago, NihonReboot said:

Unless I find a job in the next 2 weeks, I have to leave Japan by the end of July. She is in the process of getting a tourist visa so we can spend winter together in Florida. During her time here we want to register for marriage and then she would go back to Japan while I continue getting the place ready and doing the paperwork. Would there be any issues? Also would Utah online marriage work if we do not live in Utah? We are planning for Florida since my family is there.

It is not an issue, just unlikely to happen You do not need to live in Utah to go through their process..

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, NihonReboot said:

I have to leave Japan by the end of July. She is in the process of getting a tourist visa so we can spend winter together in Florida.

The tourist visa will be a big challenge for her.  With a US fiancé, she will be viewed as likely trying to bypass the legal way (K-1 or CR-1) to move to the US, her strong ties to the US will be evident.  A tourist visa is for brief periods of tourism, not for living with you.  The correct process for her to immigrate will take 1-2 years and you will live in different countries, so lots of knowledge and patience is required.  Start with an online Utah marriage now and once you get the marriage certificate, file an I-130 petition for her online.  You can return to Japan to visit her frequently during the 1-2 year process.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, NihonReboot said:

The sooner you marry, the sooner she can enter the US as a legal resident.  I would marry asap and start the process.  Utah online marriage does not require you to live in Utah.  I would marry now, because you must have been together either during or after the marriage ceremony before starting the immigration process. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If the job thing doesn't work out does it make sense for both of you to go to Vietnam, marry there with her family present and then let her stay with her family until she can arrive in the US?  This would be the least expensive while living apart while giving her a support structure while you are not in the same household.  I hate to say your chance of a tourist visa isn't great.  Better than a normal single VN girl who has never left the country but still very slim odds.

15 hours ago, NihonReboot said:

We are unsure how to go about doing this. My department was let go at the end of 2022 and since I have not been able to find work, I have to go back to America.

I am engaged with a Vietnamese girl who wants to go with me. Should we register our marriage in Japan or wait until she visits America and then register it in America?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you mean about registering.

She needs a visa to be able to live in the United States.   

That process will take at least two years.   I recommend you start reading and researching as much as you can about it.   US immigration is not cheap or fast.

6 hours ago, NihonReboot said:

It’s very unlikely she will get a tourist visa.

Figure out how you can spend time together.  If she doesn't have a job or already had a US Visa it will be hard for her to get one.  But try asap and see if you want.   Then look at your realistic options.  You can file for a fiancé visa, or get married anywhere and go for a spousal.  If you had already married and had a job offer to go back to in the US then doing a spousal at the consulate expedited could be an option.   Chances are that there is going to be significant time apart. Pretty common in immigration and where there hasn't been any planning.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
9 hours ago, NihonReboot said:

How easy is it to get married in Japan? That's what I'd recommend doing first, if it isn't too difficult. Then apply for a marriage visa. And does she have an appointment yet for her tourist visa interview?

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
52 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

How easy is it to get married in Japan? That's what I'd recommend doing first, if it isn't too difficult. Then apply for a marriage visa. And does she have an appointment yet for her tourist visa interview?

Her interview is in September so she can visit for a week in December. It seems the consensus is to do the Utah marriage now and then do the I-130 instead. What documents do we need to prepare for the Utah marriage?

19 hours ago, NihonReboot said:

Thanks in advance.

How would you register your marriage in the US? Are you planning on going to the US to marry... does she have a tourist visa for the US?

10 hours ago, NihonReboot said:

What is her current visa status in Japan? Does she have a job she would return to? Would she be able to stay in the US while she waits for the visa to process 18-24 months?

49 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

I would recommend getting married via Utah online. 

Getting married in Japan will involve a visit to the US Embassy  where you would need to get a Sworn Affidavit of Competency to Marry.  Your partner from Vietnam will have to go to her embassy to get one, too. And not sure where in Japan you are located but it could be difficult to get everything organized before you leave in July. 

2 minutes ago, NihonReboot said:

Her interview is in September so she can visit for a week in December. It seems the consensus is to do the Utah marriage now and then do the I-130 instead. What documents do we need to prepare for the Utah marriage?

https://www.utahcounty.gov/dept/clerk/marriage/onlinemarriage.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.