20 posts in this topic

Hey guys, how are you doing?

I have a question about refiling the form I-485 because uscis just denied our case due to missing one document which the reason of the denied is a complete Federal Income Tax Return submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) from the petitioning sponsor for the most recent tax year. And in the letter of the denial notice says that we A properly completed and signed Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, from a qualifying joint sponsor with all pages present and of the latest edition date, a copy of the joint sponsor's Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year with all supporting tax documents, and proof of the joint sponsor's status as a United States citizen, United States national, or Lawful Permanent Resident.

So what happened at first is we filed the Form I-485 in Jun 07 and then got the RFE in Jun 28 which uscis was asking either have to submit my wife's Federal Income Tax and have a joint sponsor  I-864, so we submitted the I-864 but we forget to include my wife's  Federal Income Tax, so then the uscis now denied our case because of that.

We called two attorneys, the first one was kinda rude didn't explain that much about our situation even though we explained to him everything but he was just I'M GONNA REFILE YOUR CASE 6000$, so we decided to call the different attorney which she was, so professional we explained to her and showed her the denial notice, so she told us that we don't need an attorney to refile the form I-485 because we did it right it at first it was just missing one document but she said that it's up to us or even she said that  we can refile the I-485 and then let her review the form in case miss any document or something like that. 

I just wanna know if is there any similar situation or tips where k1 visa get married and then adjustment status got denied, like what's the advice here? Thank you for given it time to read it and for any help!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

My advice to refile a COMPLETE package ASAP.  I assume the K-1 entrant is now out of status and subject to detention and deportation.

Adjustment of Status (Green Card) Guide for K1 and K3 Visa Holders - US Immigration & Visa Guides - VisaJourney

In your case, I highly recommend hiring that attorney to review your package before submitting it. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Was the AOS denied, or was the package rejected due to the missing information required evidence?  If the latter, Re-file as soon as possible with all the required information.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Was the AOS denied, or was the package rejected due to the missing information required evidence?  If the latter, Re-file as soon as possible with all the required information.

Good Luck!

My interpretation is that an RFE was issued, but OP failed to include required items in the RFE response.  That's grounds for a swift denial.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, LiLi404 said:

I just wanna know if is there any similar situation or tips where k1 visa get married and then adjustment status got denied, like what's the advice here?

This is a common situation. Follow this advice:

2 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

My advice to refile a COMPLETE package ASAP

And do this before the deadline listed on the I-485 denial for you to leave the U.S.  I believe your denial gives you 33 days from the date of the denial to leave.

Keep in mind that nearly a year has past, and now I-864 needs your wife’s tax year 2022 tax return transcript that she ib  April 2023.

7 hours ago, LiLi404 said:

just wanna know if is there any similar situation or tips where k1 visa get married and then adjustment status got denied, like what's the advice here? Thank you for given it time to read it and for any help!

You should file I-290 B with a new I-864 and updated financials ( 2022 Tax Return AND IRS transcript..W-2 , paystubs ) u can get IRS transcripts online …include a copy of the denial .

On the I-290 B mark both motion to re open and Motion to Reconsider…

A simple statement that states Petitioner / Sponsor had/ has the required qualifying income and you are enclosing complete evidence to support claim.

You will know in a few weeks if I-290 B is accepted ..I believe your chances are 90% or higher.

17 hours ago, LiLi404 said:

Hey guys, how are you doing?

I have a question about refiling the form I-485 because uscis just denied our case due to missing one document which the reason of the denied is a complete Federal Income Tax Return submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) from the petitioning sponsor for the most recent tax year. And in the letter of the denial notice says that we A properly completed and signed Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, from a qualifying joint sponsor with all pages present and of the latest edition date, a copy of the joint sponsor's Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year with all supporting tax documents, and proof of the joint sponsor's status as a United States citizen, United States national, or Lawful Permanent Resident.

So what happened at first is we filed the Form I-485 in Jun 07 and then got the RFE in Jun 28 which uscis was asking either have to submit my wife's Federal Income Tax and have a joint sponsor  I-864, so we submitted the I-864 but we forget to include my wife's  Federal Income Tax, so then the uscis now denied our case because of that.

We called two attorneys, the first one was kinda rude didn't explain that much about our situation even though we explained to him everything but he was just I'M GONNA REFILE YOUR CASE 6000$, so we decided to call the different attorney which she was, so professional we explained to her and showed her the denial notice, so she told us that we don't need an attorney to refile the form I-485 because we did it right it at first it was just missing one document but she said that it's up to us or even she said that  we can refile the I-485 and then let her review the form in case miss any document or something like that. 

I just wanna know if is there any similar situation or tips where k1 visa get married and then adjustment status got denied, like what's the advice here? Thank you for given it time to read it and for any help!!

Not sure that you need an attorney, but perhaps an immigration service, like one of the VJ “Partners,” to help you understand and complete the forms correctly.

15 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

My advice to refile a COMPLETE package ASAP.  I assume the K-1 entrant is now out of status and subject to detention and deportation.

Adjustment of Status (Green Card) Guide for K1 and K3 Visa Holders - US Immigration & Visa Guides - VisaJourney

In your case, I highly recommend hiring that attorney to review your package before submitting it. 

That is a professional step, thank you!

14 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Good Luck!

it was a denial due to missing one document, so yeah now we almost done gathering all the documents we just still need to get our medical exam and then check for any mistakes and of course before the timeline 30 days but Thank you!!

10 hours ago, Family said:

You should file I-290 B with a new I-864 and updated financials ( 2022 Tax Return AND IRS transcript..W-2 , paystubs ) u can get IRS transcripts online …include a copy of the denial .

On the I-290 B mark both …

A simple statement that states Petitioner / Sponsor had/ has the required qualifying income and you are enclosing complete evidence to support claim.

You will know in a few weeks if I-290 B is accepted ..I believe your chances are 90% or higher.

The attorney was kinda skeptical about  motion to re open and Motion to Reconsider i mean the waiting time is longer and have to pay the fees and its like making uscis admitting a mistake and at the end will deny us, even with other attorneys are recommending refile because there is a lot a chance to got approved then to re open and Motion to Reconsider

12 hours ago, Mike E said:

This is a common situation. Follow this advice:

And do this before the deadline listed on the I-485 denial for you to leave the U.S.  I believe your denial gives you 33 days from the date of the denial to leave.

Keep in mind that nearly a year has past, and now I-864 needs your wife’s tax year 2022 tax return transcript that she ib  April 2023.

Yes that's what I saw in the denial notice 33 days and if i don't  act before the time line then like they said the decision will become final so we talk to the attorney specifically about that and she said that not necessarily have to refile in 33 days because its refile not  motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider so even though we refile in the 45th day its okay with that because Biden administration not really forcing that law as trump but she said we better just do it now to make the case stronger, so yeah we almost done with the documents. Still working on the medical exam and then ready to go and the one that you mentioned about the latest tax return it was really helpful, i mean its a good point, thank you so much i really appreciate it!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.