Sabela

Family situation

27 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is a sensitive subject. I recently moved to the USA in order to be with my husband + have a better future. I’m under the CR-1 category, but my parents aren’t doing great health-wise. I need to inquire about my timelines here.

1. My green card was issued on 12/12/22 (“Resident Since” in green card), so I am guessing I could apply for citizenship as early as 09/13/2025. Correct?

I have been reading about how long it takes from when you apply to citizenship to when you actually get it, and I am heartbroken knowing it can most likely take 2 years total... (current timelines).

2. Am I really looking to 2027 before I can get my citizenship? This is a very long time, and my husband cannot move back to my home country with me…

3. I am torn, and don’t know what to do. Is there any way to speed up the process? Do I really have to decide between spending the last years with my parents or my spouse? 

I’m overwhelmed, and I do not know what to do.  Every time I think about this subject, it feels like a dozen hands squeezing my neck and suffocating me... I am also thinking about spending  6 months in each country yearly , but I really don't know how that will look for me economically or towards citizenship.

Anyway, thank you for reading and your guidance in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why can your Husband not travel?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Sabela said:

Hi everyone,

This is a sensitive subject. I recently moved to the USA in order to be with my husband + have a better future. I’m under the CR-1 category, but my parents aren’t doing great health-wise. I need to inquire about my timelines here.

1. My green card was issued on 12/12/22 (“Resident Since” in green card), so I am guessing I could apply for citizenship as early as 09/13/2025. Correct?

I have been reading about how long it takes from when you apply to citizenship to when you actually get it, and I am heartbroken knowing it can most likely take 2 years total... (current timelines).

2. Am I really looking to 2027 before I can get my citizenship? This is a very long time, and my husband cannot move back to my home country with me…

3. I am torn, and don’t know what to do. Is there any way to speed up the process? Do I really have to decide between spending the last years with my parents or my spouse? 

I’m overwhelmed, and I do not know what to do.  Every time I think about this subject, it feels like a dozen hands squeezing my neck and suffocating me... I am also thinking about spending  6 months in each country yearly , but I really don't know how that will look for me economically or towards citizenship.

Anyway, thank you for reading and your guidance in advance.

There is no way to expedite the citizenship process.  

@PaulaCJohnny Great. I missed that entirely (removal of conditions). Did you go through that step? If so, how long did it take?

I am in Tennessee.

And I do not mean travel for leisure. I mean, my parents are getting sick, so my sister will need help in my home country. This is why I am asking about the time I can spent out of the USA each year without compromising my marriage / citizenship. I am just basically trying to find ways to navigate the situation.

6 minutes ago, Sabela said:

@PaulaCJohnny Great. I missed that entirely (removal of conditions). Did you go through that step? If so, how long did it take?

I am in Tennessee.

And I do not mean travel for leisure. I mean, my parents are getting sick, so my sister will need help in my home country. This is why I am asking about the time I can spent out of the USA each year without compromising my marriage / citizenship. I am just basically trying to find ways to navigate the situation.

The Remove of conditions right now when applying they sent you an extension letter for 48 months (4 years). Some people waited that long. I applied for citizenship and this speeded my case I guess. I did based on the recommendation of others member here and really help my process. 

I hope others can comment here soon and give you more ideas. Good luck again and I really sorry about your parents situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Oops wrong thread,  longer than 6 months absence resets your Citizenship time line.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Citizenship process is not taking 2 years in most Field Offices at the moment but yes, you won't be able to apply for it until 2025.

You could apply for a reentry permit which would allow you to be out of the US for over a year at a time without losing your green card but that would reset your citizenship clock. If leaving now and being with your parents is more important than citizenship, this could be a way.

The removal of conditions process that you need is required in 2024 for you but I advise you to think through your options going home or not first and then later researching more into it, no need to worry about it right this second since it is still years away (as is citizenship).

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

14 hours ago, Sabela said:

I am in Tennessee.

ROC is a big deal.   You need to start researching it.   You’re putting the cart ahead of the horse by focusing on citizenship, which can’t happen until you remove conditions anyway.

Edited by SalishSea

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
37 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

ROC is a big deal.   You need to start researching it.   You’re putting the cart ahead of the horse by focusing on citizenship, which can’t happen until you remove conditions anyway.

Removal of Conditions does not affect Citizenship timelines. It needs to be done, yes, but I don't see how focusing on it instead changes anything for the OP.

OP, you could always apply for a reentry permit if you plan to spend an extended period of time abroad but be aware that the amount of time you stay out of the US might affect your ability to apply for citizenship and that would potentially delay your citizenship process even more.

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/continuous-residence-and-physical-presence-requirements-for-naturalization

23 minutes ago, Nat&Amy said:

Removal of Conditions does not affect Citizenship timelines. It needs to be done, yes, but I don't see how focusing on it instead changes anything for the OP.

OP, you could always apply for a reentry permit if you plan to spend an extended period of time abroad but be aware that the amount of time you stay out of the US might affect your ability to apply for citizenship and that would potentially delay your citizenship process even more.

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/continuous-residence-and-physical-presence-requirements-for-naturalization

YES! Does affect for sure. @SalishSea is 100% right.

Timeline is from start to finish of the process.

Even if she is pass the interview she will not get citizenship finalized before having the I-751 approved. So the Citizenship will be on hold until the Remove of conditions is done.

Edited by PaulaCJohnny

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Nat&Amy said:

Because plenty of people forget to file for it altogether (seems OP didn't even know about it), and it needs to happen way before filing for citizenship. I'd say it's sort of an important topic to focus on.

Not to mention that she needs to start gathering evidence for ROC pretty much right away. It took me a week to compile a packet for I-751 before sending it out. 

It took me less than 15 minutes to complete N400 form online and click 'Submit'. 

Edited by .yana

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 minutes ago, PaulaCJohnny said:

YES! Does affect for sure. @SalishSea is 100% right.

Timeline is from start to finish of the process.

Even if she is pass the interview she will not get citizenship finalized before having the I-751 approved. So the Citizenship will be on hold until the Remove of conditions is done.

How long USCIS will take to process OP's RoC is not something OP can control. She might apply as soon as her window opens and have her case gather dust for two years. She might apply two months after window opens and have it done in five months. Therefore, delays caused by an unadjudicated RoC are not the result of OP'd actions, can we agree on that?

I never said OP doesn't need to apply for RoC. But her applying for it does not affect her citizenship timeline. I stand by what I said.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.