Newcitizen

Apartment lease - IR5 Visas

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

L suggests the Company was involved and provided the security

Your original post mentioned they have not even interviewed yet

If the agency knows what L visa is then they should know that IR5 visa serves as green card. It's not a question of security. I have a 6 figures income and I submitted the fiscal proof they requested. They just refused to proceed with a lease with a IR5 visa. Even after the parents arrive to the US. They said they just acknowledge "permanent residency card".

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Family said:

Of course, the pragmatic solution is to rent in your name only ( no others listed since they are not here ) and once they arrive request to add them as additional occupants …that bot cannot be refused. 

They did refuse that. They said that since I mentioned I have 2 more tenants initially, they will not sign a lease just with me "Because we know your parents will be with you". They stated that they don't add/remove tenants to a lease in the first 12 month unless under criteria (marriage, divorce and death).

11 minutes ago, Newcitizen said:

If the agency knows what L visa is then they should know that IR5 visa serves as green card. It's not a question of security. I have a 6 figures income and I submitted the fiscal proof they requested. They just refused to proceed with a lease with a IR5 visa. Even after the parents arrive to the US. They said they just acknowledge "permanent residency card

Switch course. Tell them future is uncertain , AP delays .. this is a tactical maneuver and as long as you pass financial you can choose to pay for as much space as you want.

Once parents ( unexpectedly arrive ) file complaint w HUD. Their plastic card policy is a violation and they cannot touch you.

Edited by Family

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Newcitizen said:

It sucks because this company owns the majority of the available properties around.

If it is a large property management company, they are likely to accommodate your request quickly after they hear from HUD.  There are financial penalties and the potential for criminal action by the Federal Department of Justice if they do not comply.  The company's attorney will receive the HUD complaint and advise them that their policy is discriminatory.  Definitely push back and file a HUD complaint today.  Good luck!

Discrimination in Housing Based Upon National Origin

The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based upon national origin. Such discrimination can be based either upon the country of an individual's birth or where his or her ancestors originated. Census data indicate that the Hispanic population is the fastest growing segment of our nation's population. The Justice Department has taken enforcement action against municipal governments that have tried to reduce or limit the number of Hispanic families that may live in their communities. We have sued lenders under both the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act when they have imposed more stringent underwriting standards on home loans or made loans on less favorable terms for Hispanic borrowers. The Department has also sued lenders for discrimination against Native Americans. Other areas of the country have experienced an increasing diversity of national origin groups within their populations. This includes new immigrants from Southeastern Asia, such as the Hmong, the former Soviet Union, and other portions of Eastern Europe. We have taken action against private landlords who have discriminated against such individuals.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Newcitizen said:

If the agency knows what L visa is then they should know that IR5 visa serves as green card. It's not a question of security. I have a 6 figures income and I submitted the fiscal proof they requested. They just refused to proceed with a lease with a IR5 visa. Even after the parents arrive to the US. They said they just acknowledge "permanent residency card".

Seems reasonable they would not know what an IR5 is but then why would they need to? How is it relevant how someone obtained their GC?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 minutes ago, Newcitizen said:

They did refuse that. They said that since I mentioned I have 2 more tenants initially, they will not sign a lease just with me "Because we know your parents will be with you". They stated that they don't add/remove tenants to a lease in the first 12 month unless under criteria (marriage, divorce and death)

Pay a few bucks to get an attorney w housing litigation background write up a letter..because they will not take you seriously otherwise. 
Their whole “policy” is pure horse manure..have attorney shovel it back

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Seems reasonable they would not know what an IR5 is but then why would they need to? How is it relevant how someone obtained their GC?

What I am trying to say is that if they felt safe with L1 VISA, then I have a VISA as well. Both are legal. Regarding feeling safe about the long commitment, I am a US citizen who's name will be on the lease as well. I have a strong financial record. There should be no worries on their end.

Timeline

Assuming they handle Corporate lets then a L would be quite common. Well they know it is a Corporate let which is the main thing. And a Company of substance.

Over the years I have been asked by people how I came here, pretty obvious I am not from the US, if only I had a buck for everybody that has asked that. Now I do explain but do not use visa category. I have never been asked that question officially.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

They did refuse that. They said that since I mentioned I have 2 more tenants initially, they will not sign a lease just with me "Because we know your parents will be with you". They stated that they don't add/remove tenants to a lease in the first 12 month unless under criteria (marriage, divorce and death).

But certainly “immigrated from another country” counts as a qualifying event? 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Redro said:

But certainly “immigrated from another country” counts as a qualifying event? 

It does for most things

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It does for most things

I would agree. I sent them another email again now with with more information to help them understand. I am doing one last attempt.

It will be a worthwhile investment to spend a bit of money for an attorney to write a very clear letter to the management company. Not just for you and your parents' sake, but for every other immigrant who might try to rent from them.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Adventine said:

It will be a worthwhile investment to spend a bit of money for an attorney to write a very clear letter to the management company. Not just for you and your parents' sake, but for every other immigrant who might try to rent from them.

They are not immigrants they do not it seems even gave a visa 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.