GracielaGuerra

about if I can stay in the USA while my adjustment is in process (merged)

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

hello, good afternoon.
I have a question...
When I submit my application for adjustment of status, can I stay here in the United States while it is being processed?
For example, I apply today but my visa expires on July 20, as it is being processed, can I stay or do I have to receive any notification from USCIS?
Thank you!

Edited by GracielaGuerra

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Once you submit a proper I-485, you are granted "authorized stay" in the US until the I-485 is either approved or denied.  Authorized stay is not a legal status.  However, you will not accrue unlawful presence.  In your example, there is nothing to worry about.  You are submitting the I-485 well before your I-94 expires.  Good luck. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Because I need to make an appointment to deliver the documents and I call the USCIS phone number and it won't let me make an appointment, it asks me for the case number and I don't have that, I also went to the offices and they don't accept without an appointment and apart from that, they don't There was no one, how can I do?
I already have the documents but I can't send them because I don't know how to contact these people, I'm very desperate for that.
thank you so much.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, GracielaGuerra said:

Because I need to make an appointment to deliver the documents and I call the USCIS phone number and it won't let me make an appointment, it asks me for the case number and I don't have that, I also went to the offices and they don't accept without an appointment and apart from that, they don't There was no one, how can I do?
I already have the documents but I can't send them because I don't know how to contact these people, I'm very desperate for that.
thank you so much.

You don't hand deliver the I-485 package.  You send it via USPS, UPS, or Fed Ex.

USCIS Lockbox Filing Locations Chart for Certain Family-Based Forms | USCIS

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS from K1/K3 P&P, from K1 Progress reports- The OP is is starting the AOS Process~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

so.. 🤔🤔
Im live in florida and i have the form 130, 485, 864, 765, I have to send it to the address is:

FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: AOS (Box 805887)
131 S. Dearborn St., 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Right? 🤔

Timeline
3 minutes ago, GracielaGuerra said:

so.. 🤔🤔
Im live in florida and i have the form 130, 485, 864, 765, I have to send it to the address is:

USCIS
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Right? 🤔

I always find those charts a little confusing, but I believe you have to correct address.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
5 minutes ago, GracielaGuerra said:

so.. 🤔🤔

USCIS
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Right? 🤔

Don't forget the I-131.

Timeline

Well I'll send it to that address, thank you very much!

I don't need the 131 format or is it mandatory? On the other hand, where do I get the number of the alien? It is not on my visa stamp. does something happen if I don't have?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, GracielaGuerra said:

Well I'll send it to that address, thank you very much!

I don't need the 131 format or is it mandatory? On the other hand, where do I get the number of the alien? It is not on my visa stamp. does something happen if I don't have?

The I-131 is optional.  But the I-765 and I-131 are free if submitted along with the I-485.  The approved I-131 will allow you to exit the US and return while the I-485 is being processed.  I strongly advise you to submit it.

You may or may not have an "A" number.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange.html#:~:text=The%20J%2D1%20exchange%20visitor,certain%20international%20cultural%20exchange%20programs.

Can J-1 be converted to green card?

The I-130 Form, also known as the Petition for Alien Relitive form, must be filed by your spouse, who introduces you as their direct relative. This form is necessary to transfer your J1 visa to Green Card to obtain permanent residency status.Dec 21, 2022

Since immiratigration says J1 can be converted by marriage, why wouldn't your spouse know

16 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:
The I-130 Form, also known as the Petition for Alien Relitive form, must be filed by your spouse, who introduces you as their direct relative. This form is necessary to transfer your J1 visa to Green Card to obtain permanent residency status.Dec 21, 2022

Since immiratigration says J1 can be converted by marriage, why wouldn't your spouse know

They are referring to the J1 sponsor, not the spouse.

Can't answer that but is your J1 program/job ending too or you would renew it after July ? I wonder how that works when you don't have the EAD and need to keep working, following for answers too.

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.