Noktor

Is form I-693 required when filing for AOS?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm about to finish filling out my I-485, I-864, I-765, and I-131 forms and wanted to know if it will serve me any benefit in filling out and submitting form I-693 (Report of Immigration Medical Examination and Vaccination Record) along with the AOS, Work Permit, and Travel Documents? 

My wife recently arrived to the US on a K1-Fiance visa. We got married, and she already got her medical exam done in Vietnam last August 2022. I heard that USCIS is now waiving the interview process if you submit the I-693. Or if they send you an RFE asking for the I-693, then your AOS/greencard interview gets automatically waived and you will receive your greencard, expediting the process.

Can anyone confirm this?

Her medical from K1 valid for a year since the doctor sign. There’s possibility USCIS will request RFE if ur case is adjudicate after that date. The based of waiving interview is not because a person submitted I-693. Many people still got interview even when submitted one. It just sometimes when USCIS wants to waive the interview, I-693 can be the barrier for them to approve if it’s not submitted in the initial package. 

medical submitted doesn’t grant u automatically of anything. I know plenty of people after they sent medical RFE still got interview schedule 

if u want to save money since her medical is still valid, don’t submit the medical with initial package 

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, Noktor said:

My wife recently arrived to the US on a K1-Fiance visa. We got married, and she already got her medical exam done in Vietnam last August 2022

1. Were her vaccines completed before / during her K-1 medical?

2. We are seeing cases where even when vaccines were completed, USCIS erroneously demands a new medical. You can fight USCIS or get a new medical.

If you can afford it, I would (and did for my wife under her lawyer’s advice) get a new medical.

This way if USCIS is inclined to waive the interview, having a complete medical will get you to card in production faster while your case has an ISO’s attention.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

1. Were her vaccines completed before / during her K-1 medical?

2. We are seeing cases where even when vaccines were completed, USCIS erroneously demands a new medical. You can fight USCIS or get a new medical.

If you can afford it, I would (and did for my wife under her lawyer’s advice) get a new medical.

This way if USCIS is inclined to waive the interview, having a complete medical will get you to card in production faster while your case has an ISO’s attention.

1. I'm not exactly sure, but I think her medical exam abroad was completed and approved around August 2022. I'm pretty sure this happened right before her K1 interview in Vietnam.

How much did you end up paying for her new medical exam? And did you go  through the process of finding a civil surgeon using USCIS's website? Were you able to review the I-693 before they sealed it and also were you able to get a duplicate copy? I heard these steps are important because if the doctor or whoever is responsible for filling out your I-693 messes up somewhere, it could mess up your entire case. But I'm really hoping that we won't have to go through this step.

Timeline
Just now, Noktor said:

1. I'm not exactly sure, but I think her medical exam abroad was completed and approved around August 2022. I'm pretty sure this happened right before her K1 interview in Vietnam.

IOW you do not know if she completed all courses of her vaccines.

So to be sure get a medical done.

Just now, Noktor said:

How much did you end up paying for her new medical exam?

I do not recall. Under $1000. Price was no object to me. 

Just now, Noktor said:

And did you go  through the process of finding a civil surgeon using USCIS's website?

yes

Just now, Noktor said:

Were you able to review the I-693 before they sealed it

no

Just now, Noktor said:

and also were you able to get a duplicate copy?

I don’t recall.

Just now, Noktor said:

I heard these steps are important because if the doctor or whoever is responsible for filling out your I-693 messes up somewhere, it could mess up your entire case. But I'm really hoping that we won't have to go through this step.

Use google maps and yelp to find a good one.

33 minutes ago, Noktor said:

How much did you end up paying for her new medical exam? And did you go  through the process of finding a civil surgeon using USCIS's website? Were you able to review the I-693 before they sealed it and also were you able to get a duplicate copy? I heard these steps are important because if the doctor or whoever is responsible for filling out your I-693 messes up somewhere, it could mess up your entire case. But I'm really hoping that we won't have to go through this step.

I did ask the copy of the medical. So when the nurse gave me the sealed copy, I checked the copy on the spot make sure it’s all correct before I left 

I accompanied my friend few months ago in NYC, I did the same and I spot a mistake, I told the nurse the fix the sealed medical. Nurse open the sealed envelope, ask the doctor to fix it and sealed it back 😂

for duplicate copy u can only ask if suddenly ur medical lost. U can only ask and the doctor might charge some fee or he refused and u have to redo all medical all over again. 

cold call the civic surgeon on USCIS website. I did recall calling 50 surgeons in NYC and NJ  in 1 day just to check the fee, appointment time, and also how many times I have to go there, some required 1 or 2 or 3 visit total

price varied. It can be $300 it can be $600. No fixed price 

I lived in Maine, last year they have 7 surgeon, this year they only have 6 surgeon. Cant be picky if u live in small city 

Edited by Misscloud

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

IOW you do not know if she completed all courses of her vaccines.

All courses?

Only one vaccination of the series is required to be called complete excluding Covid.

The OP simply has to look at her DS3025 personal copy and read it to know if her vaccines are complete of not. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

All courses?

Only one vaccination of the series is required to be called complete excluding Covid.

The OP simply has to look at her DS3025 personal copy and read it to know if her vaccines are complete of not. 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-9

If the applicant has met the vaccination requirements, i.e., completed the series for all required vaccines, the "Vaccine history complete for each vaccine, all requirements met" box must be checked.”

28 minutes ago, Mike E said:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-9

If the applicant has met the vaccination requirements, i.e., completed the series for all required vaccines, the "Vaccine history complete for each vaccine, all requirements met" box must be checked.”

That's an example. 

It's ONE dose of any and all that are age appropriate excluding Covid or are waived.

Receiving a blanket waiver for not enough time interval to do the series means you have completed the vaccination requirements. 

• Vaccinations that are administered as a series in intervals, but there is insufficient time to complete the entire vaccination series at the time of the medical examination (“insufficient time interval”);[7] or

You are very incorrect.

Ask the old heads @Boiler

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
13 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

That's an example. 

It's ONE dose of any and all that are age appropriate excluding Covid or are waived.

Receiving a blanket waiver for not enough time interval to do the series means you have completed the vaccination requirements.

IOW if there is enough tine to complete the series and the series is not complete, the vaccination requirements are not complete.

For example,  Hep B:

• 3-dose series Engerix-B, PreHevbrio*, or Recombivax HB at 0, 1, 6 months [minimum intervals: dose 1 to dose 2: 4 weeks / dose 2 to dose 3: 8 weeks / dose 1 to dose 3: 16 weeks])

I would expect an I-485 submitted 17 weeks after dose 1 was injected, with no evidence of dose 3 to get an RFE.

What do you expect?

You are very incorrect.

My wife’s attorney and USCIS authorized surgeon disagree.

Next time I see an RFE for this situation, I will hopefully remember to tag you so that you can comment.

Edited by Mike E

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

IOW if there is enough tine to complete the series and the series is not complete, the vaccination requirements are not complete.

For example,  Hep B:

• 3-dose series Engerix-B, PreHevbrio*, or Recombivax HB at 0, 1, 6 months [minimum intervals: dose 1 to dose 2: 4 weeks / dose 2 to dose 3: 8 weeks / dose 1 to dose 3: 16 weeks])

I would expect an I-485 submitted 17 weeks after dose 1 was injected, with no evidence of dose 3 to get an RFE.

What do you expect?

My wife’s attorney and USCIS authorized surgeon disagree.

Next time I see an RFE for this situation, I will hopefully remember to tag you so that you can comment.

You would never get a waiver for insufficient time if their was sufficient time therefore the vaccination requirements would not be complete.

Would you like to see my K1 DS3025 with waivers and my 10 yr Gc?

Timeline
31 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

You would never get a waiver for insufficient time if their was sufficient time therefore the vaccination requirements would not be complete.

QED

31 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Would you like to see my K1 DS3025 with waivers and my 10 yr Gc?

Not interested.

I gave my wife’s USCIS designated medical professional my credit card, and he completed her series of vaccinations and her I-693.

The ISO at our I-485 was as perturbed at us (as you are at me in this thread) for doing an “unnecessary” medical even though it was obvious (in hindsight)  there were required vaccinations that the DoS’s designated quack in Burma did not do.

I-485 approved less than 2 weeks later, and more importantly my wife had vaccinations that decades of American medical science have established she needed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
16 hours ago, Noktor said:

I'm about to finish filling out my I-485, I-864, I-765, and I-131 forms and wanted to know if it will serve me any benefit in filling out and submitting form I-693 (Report of Immigration Medical Examination and Vaccination Record) along with the AOS, Work Permit, and Travel Documents? 

My wife recently arrived to the US on a K1-Fiance visa. We got married, and she already got her medical exam done in Vietnam last August 2022. I heard that USCIS is now waiving the interview process if you submit the I-693. Or if they send you an RFE asking for the I-693, then your AOS/greencard interview gets automatically waived and you will receive your greencard, expediting the process.

Can anyone confirm this?

Personally I wouldn't get a new medical exam unless asked for it. Just include a copy of the DS-3025 that she received at her medical that shows her vaccines as "complete". USCIS may in some cases request a new medical, but in many cases they don't as it's not needed when you file for AOS within a year of the overseas medical. For me it would be wasted money. I did receive an interview for my AOS which I welcomed, this was back when most K-1s were waived - that's not the case anymore. Most K-1s are getting interviewed for AOS these days (since 2018 I believe), but then you're much more likely to get your ROC interview waived instead. Typically it's "one or the other" with AOS and ROC. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 4/15/2023 at 3:47 AM, Noktor said:

Can anyone confirm this?

The general rule is not to submit anything that hasn’t been requested by USCIS (either by being required as part of a form or via an RFE). That being said, I would include the DS-3025 with your I-485 and if you have a copy of the complete medical report from the overseas doctor, include that too.  Don’t be surprised if they end up asking you for an I-693 down the road even if you were married within 90 days of arrival and applied for AOS within a year of the overseas medical. 
In our case we were married within 90 days of my fiancé’s arrival and submitted the I-485/I-765/I-131 within a year of his exam in Colombia. After 10 months of silence, we received an RFE from our field office for (1) either the OF-157 or DS-2053 from his medical exam in Colombia because his “file does not contain any evidence of a completed medical exam prior to entry in the US” with the option to do an exam here and submit I-693 if we did not have the other forms. While I’m super annoyed that they are asking us for forms we would not have because they should have been in the sealed envelope we turned over at the POE (if the medical exam evidence wasn’t in the sealed envelope, I doubt he would’ve been allowed out of the airport!), we decided the path of least resistance would be to do an exam here. Btw, (2) they also have asked us for a copy of our marriage certificate- of course I submitted that with the rest of the AOS paperwork. 
He did his exam last Friday with a civil surgeon we located using the USCIS search tool. $480 for the exam, $110 for the HepB vaccine he needed. We’re waiting for his blood tests to come back and then we’ll pick up the I-693 and send it in with (another) copy of the marriage certificate. Will ask for a copy of the completed I-693 so that we can upload everything online (and also send the sealed envelope). I’ll update this to let you know whether we get an approval or an interview. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.