18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi - not sure if I named this topic right - but I will be coming up on time for me to apply for my ROC later this year. My only question at the moment is:

I have a valid Ohio drivers license that will expire later this year (I applied for it based off of my EAD - and received a green card after I had already gotten the DL)

My GC will not expire until 1/3/24, so I considered going in to renew my DL based off of the GC. However, the earliest I can file for my ROC is October of this year, so when the I-751 is submitted, will there be an extension letter for the I-551? Will there be NOAs?

Am I able to use the extension letter to renew my DL? I cannot seem to find anything on the Ohio BMV site about the particular verbiage for the form name, mostly just the usual: Proof of Residency, SS, name, DOB etc.

That is my only concern as I do need to drive to work, I'd like to keep making money, after all lol

Thanks for all your help and any corrections!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Rlewis said:

However, the earliest I can file for my ROC is October of this year, so when the I-751 is submitted, will there be an extension letter for the I-551?

Yes. 48 months from the expiration date of your gc

Will there be NOAs?

yes

Am I able to use the extension letter to renew my DL

Yes. 

https://publicsafety.ohio.gov/static/bmv2424.pdf

UNITED STATES CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION SERVICES (USCIS) DOCUMENTS - Appropriate documents, must be original and valid, or like documents issued by the successor agency to the USCIS showing the dates of legal presenge

18 hours ago, Rlewis said:

Hi - not sure if I named this topic right - but I will be coming up on time for me to apply for my ROC later this year. My only question at the moment is:

I have a valid Ohio drivers license that will expire later this year (I applied for it based off of my EAD - and received a green card after I had already gotten the DL)

My GC will not expire until 1/3/24, so I considered going in to renew my DL based off of the GC. However, the earliest I can file for my ROC is October of this year, so when the I-751 is submitted, will there be an extension letter for the I-551? Will there be NOAs?

Am I able to use the extension letter to renew my DL? I cannot seem to find anything on the Ohio BMV site about the particular verbiage for the form name, mostly just the usual: Proof of Residency, SS, name, DOB etc.

That is my only concern as I do need to drive to work, I'd like to keep making money, after all lol

Thanks for all your help and any corrections!

Agreed with Mike , yes you can use the extension letter to renew your DL. However, it might depend on the local BMV on how long your future DL valid to.. I am in Ohio and too bad, when I used the 24 months extension letter to renew the DL last year, they only gave me 1 year DL validity. I have to renew my DL again this year, but I will try to use the 48 months extension this time, see if they will at least give me more than 1 year validity..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, mepck said:

Agreed with Mike , yes you can use the extension letter to renew your DL. However, it might depend on the local BMV on how long your future DL valid to.. I am in Ohio and too bad, when I used the 24 months extension letter to renew the DL last year, they only gave me 1 year DL validity. I have to renew my DL again this year, but I will try to use the 48 months extension this time, see if they will at least give me more than 1 year validity..

I'm wondering if I should wait to renew until I get my extension letter or just renew now and do it based off of my greencard (which expires jan 3rd 2024) so at least I have some extra leeway before I have to use the extension letter to renew...in case they don't do the entire 24 months...

1 hour ago, Rlewis said:

I'm wondering if I should wait to renew until I get my extension letter or just renew now and do it based off of my greencard (which expires jan 3rd 2024) so at least I have some extra leeway before I have to use the extension letter to renew...in case they don't do the entire 24 months...

Do you have a valid license right now? When does it expire? If already expired, just renew it now.

12 hours ago, Rlewis said:

In my opinion, it's better to wait until you get the extension letter and renew it when it close to your DL expiration date (since yours is valid until later this year)..If you renew now, they could give you validity until Jan 2024 (your GC expiration date) only.. When does it expire?

My previous DL expired the same date as GC expiration date last year, which was August 2022, I applied ROC on May 2022 - got my 24 months extension letter and renewed my DL July 2022.. surprisingly the validity of my DL is up to July 2023.. The DL expiration date they gave me is exactly 1 year after the date I renewed my DL, not based on the extension letter.. :( But again, it might depend on your local BMV--they might have better understanding staff than mine..

Edited by mepck

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I fear the same trouble here with the NOA and my DMV (Pennsylvania)  my DL expires the same day my Greencard does (07/01/2023) but reading online it says a notice of action can be accepted as valid proof. It's sad that they make it so hard for tax paying, honest people to just keep a driver license.

Once I have the NOA I will visit the local DMV and if they say it's not a valid proof  I will have them call the HQ in Harrisburg. Worst case I might need this odd 551 Stamp or something in my Passport ?

It's frustrating. Any PA Drivers here?!

I-751 Timeline

04/03/2023 - Filed (UPS Elgin, IL Lockbox)

04/04/2023 - Received by USCIS 💌

04/07/2023 - Text Message with Case # 📲

04/11/2023 - Online Status changed to being Actively Reviewed 👀

04/14/2023 - Two USCIS Letters - Biometrics will be re-used / Log-in Info (Potomac Service Center 😰)

04/17/2023 - NOA FORM I-797 - 48 Month extension 🕗

24 minutes ago, Bavarian91 said:

Worst case I might need this odd 551 Stamp or something in my Passport ?

A lot of the times when stamp is given, GC is taken from you. But stamp is only valid for a year. Don't do it unless it's needed.

Print out instructions from DMV website showing extension letter should be accepted and bring with you to DMV.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

A lot of the times when stamp is given, GC is taken from you. But stamp is only valid for a year. Don't do it unless it's needed.

Print out instructions from DMV website showing extension letter should be accepted and bring with you to DMV.

It be my last ... option! 

The DMV put's it the following: 

image.png

I-751 Timeline

04/03/2023 - Filed (UPS Elgin, IL Lockbox)

04/04/2023 - Received by USCIS 💌

04/07/2023 - Text Message with Case # 📲

04/11/2023 - Online Status changed to being Actively Reviewed 👀

04/14/2023 - Two USCIS Letters - Biometrics will be re-used / Log-in Info (Potomac Service Center 😰)

04/17/2023 - NOA FORM I-797 - 48 Month extension 🕗

18 minutes ago, Bavarian91 said:

It be my last ... option! 

The DMV put's it the following: 

image.png

Yeah, that's vague and open to interpretation... You can always ask to talk to supervisor and / or try different DMV if staff at the one you're going to is not helping with license renewal.

• 3 months later...

Update for Ohio DL, after 4 years receiving yearly DL renewal, finally I decided to apply for DL renewal from another BWV Office last week. And, they're able to give me 4 years validity this time based on my 48 months extension letter..... Now, I have to deal with SSA office (I will try different office as well this week), and I'm hoping the other office will be able to lift the restriction on my SS card..

Update of my SSA visit today.. I went to a different SSA office today, and for real the staff had no idea about the extension letter. She said your GC is expired, nothing we can do to remove your work restriction on the current SS card until you get the physical update GC in hand. I told her, this is why I am bringing the extension letter (48 months), she was saying our system only accept the physical GC. In the end, I showed her the printed paper of step by step SOP from their website for accepting expired GC + extension letter. I got the link from VJ (sorry, I couldn’t find the link here from my phone). But, I am so grateful for VJ, it’s super helpful! She looked into the printed paper (I highlighted the information), she said this is the 1st I handle this, and good thing you got these papers printed LOL, she sighed and made copies of my documents. It works, she said I should be receiving the unrestricted card in the next two weeks! Thank you so much VJ family!! 

Edited by mepck

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can you share the step by step SSA SOP for the expired GC and 48 month extension letter here, that would be great.  My wife and I anticipate being in the same boat as  you in about a year.  Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.