Rainbow Conquerer

Can I work 2 full time jobs on GreenCard? Will that be a problem for N400?

26 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Rainbow Conquerer said:

when I apply for N400 will I need to provide any proof about non-compete agreements that either of my employers may have (or) any other proof that my employers were aware of my multiple jobs and have no objections to it?

I doubt it

12 minutes ago, Rainbow Conquerer said:

Thank you everyone for the advise. Very helpful!  I understand the risk with non-complete agreements. Assuming I pay my taxes correctly (which I intend to), when I apply for N400 will I need to provide any proof about non-compete agreements that either of my employers may have (or) any other proof that my employers were aware of my multiple jobs and have no objections to it? I'm mainly looking to understand if USCIS cares about it and if yes, to what extent and can this jeopardize my Citizenship eventually ?

I don't think USCIS cares about the agreements! They just will make sure you have no tax dues!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Rainbow Conquerer said:

Yes, it was employment based GC. However, my spouse was primary and I believe I was the derivative 

You need to be sure.

In general if an employee X gets a green card through employer A in the field of expertise R, DHS expects X to continue to work for A for some indefinite time and continue to work in R for an even longer indefinite time.

A spouse or child of X who received a green card as derivative of X does not operate under the constraints, but if X violates the conditions, the derivatives are at risk.

Since it appears you are a derivative,

1 hour ago, Fe.Ta said:

1\ Is it legal to work 2 full time jobs (one of them being contract) while on Green card without informing either of the employers that I have a second job?

There is likely no crime being committed, with the possible exception of work that requires knowledge of  classified information owned by the federal government.

Depending on the state of residence and/or work and any agreements you signed, your employers’ non criminal legal remedies range from termination for cause (meaning no unemployment benefits) to a law suit.

As you are a software engineer, then if you live and work outside of California, it is likely that employers claim all rights to any intellectual property (IPR) you create, even outside work hours, off company premises, on equipment not owned by your employer. Thus employer A has a claim to IPR you create for B, and vice versa. While A perhaps cannot prevail against B in court  (but if B knew you were still working for A, that might be an exception), it can certainly prevail against you.

So lets say you create IPR at B that A values at $10M, and convinces a court of that value, I’m sure they won’t force you into living in a tent under a bridge. Best case maybe $4000 a month for life, and then after you and your spouse pass away, your estate pays the remainder. Make sure  you name beneficiaries on accounts and property now so that you  keep them out of your estate.

I  know of someone in the valley who did what you are planning. After he was caught and fired by both, he became persona non grata and never worked again in the valley. The valley is small, and the U.S. software industry is not much bigger.

You should also be concerned when you stop working for employers A and B, and try to get a job at C. If you say you worked two jobs at once, C will be less willing to hire you. If don’t mention B in your work history, the background check will find out you lied.

1 hour ago, Fe.Ta said:

2\ Will this pose a risk when I file for US Citizenship/Naturalization down the line?

If these two employers are competitors, you are at greater risk from an accusation of industrial espionage. Detainment by an investigating law enforcement officer will impact your N-400.

As others have noted, holding two jobs is the fast path to under payment of taxes. Owing the IRS taxes is like getting drilled to repair a cavity. When USCIS learns of it during N-400, it’s like a root canal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
28 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

You do need to read both company's policy and/or your contract if u signed one

Either of them could have a stipulation about "outside work" especially if they are in competition for any contracts

That would have no impact on immigration or taxes. 

38 minutes ago, Rainbow Conquerer said:

I'm mainly looking to understand if USCIS cares about it and if yes, to what extent and can this jeopardize my Citizenship eventually ?

They don't.  It won't.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If either company is expecting you to work a full 40 hour week, they will not look kindly on you having a separate full time job regardless of them being in different industries. You are putting both jobs at risk by doing this. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Nothing to do with USCIS.

Everything to do with the terms of employment of the 2 companies.

10 hours ago, davidvs said:

If either company is expecting you to work a full 40 hour week, they will not look kindly on you having a separate full time job regardless of them being in different industries. You are putting both jobs at risk by doing this. 

168 hours in a week.  Plenty of migrants,minimum wage workers, and previous generations, worked 80 hours a week. Not our place to judge OP, and not an immigration problem. 

@Rainbow Conquerer Best of luck, you've got this!

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

168 hours in a week.  Plenty of migrants,minimum wage workers, and previous generations, worked 80 hours a week. Not our place to judge OP, and not an immigration problem.

OP works in software, not a minimum wage job. In a 30+ year career as a computer programmer, never had an employer that permitted moonlighting. 

Has nothing to do with judgement and everything to with good career advice. OP wants to hide the moonlighting from the primary employer. That should be clue that there is an issue.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
9 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

@Rainbow Conquerer Best of luck, you've got this!

You are right that it's not an immigration issue. However...

The company I work for recently found out that a $90K salary Customer Service Manager working remote was working a second full time job. Actually, it was the other company that found out and contacted our HR department... Guess how many jobs she had the next day? Yup, none. This is the typical outcome with these situations. The assumption is that they are not dedicating the appropriate amount of time to either job since both companies likely operate during "normal" business hours. This is very different than a full time professional moonlighting on the weekends as a bartender.

I'm not judging, just trying to give good advice.

I'm not saying it's a good, or a bad, career choice, simply that it is feasible. It depends a lot on too many factors / might be the best, or worst, idea - I've seen both in my life.  I'll leave it at that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
9 hours ago, davidvs said:

You are right that it's not an immigration issue. However...

The company I work for recently found out that a $90K salary Customer Service Manager working remote was working a second full time job. Actually, it was the other company that found out and contacted our HR department... Guess how many jobs she had the next day? Yup, none. This is the typical outcome with these situations. The assumption is that they are not dedicating the appropriate amount of time to either job since both companies likely operate during "normal" business hours. This is very different than a full time professional moonlighting on the weekends as a bartender.

I'm not judging, just trying to give good advice.

Yep. Today my wife found out a VP in her company got fired Tuesday. Why? Because he had a similar job at a competitor, who saw on his LinkedIn profile that he was also working for my wife's company, and said they'd sue wife's company if they didn't fire him within 2 weeks. I have no idea what he was thinking, complete fool.

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.