DJClaire

N400 Interview Scheduled - I have questions lol

9 posts in this topic

So finally my app has update to show that my N400 interview has been scheduled and I have some questions.

Originally a K1. Temp Greencard, expired 2021. Extension letters received 24 months and recently a 48 month.

Sept 21: i751 Filed 

Sept 22: N400 filed

Case moved to Hartford, CT from Vermont.

So my questions . . . 

1) Only my N400 has updated on the apps, not the i751 - is my interview likely to be a combo interview?

2) Has anyone managed to do a same day oath in Hartford, CT? I understand there is a 1.30pm cut off?! 

3) What additional paperwork should I take? It's been 7 months since my application. I will have my fresh 2022 tax return in hand for the interview, but what else?

4) Must my spouse attend too? Has anyone done it without their spouse?

The reason I ask is because we are in Spain for a few months and it would be easier and cheaper for me to return alone to do the interview rather than dragging my wife and young son.

Thoughts? Experiences to share?

event.png

K1

NOA1: May 10th 2018

NOA2: October 30th 2018

NVC Received: November 30th 2018

Embassy Received: December 27th 2018

Medical: January 14th 2019

Interview: January 22nd 2019 (Approved subject to medical approval), Medical approved and sent to the embassy: 24th January 2019

Visa in Hand: February 1st 2019

AOS / EAD / AP + OTHER NOTABLE EVENTS (WHICH MAY BE USEFUL TO KNOW)

POE: New York (JFK) February 6th 2019

SSN: Applied in SS Office on February 7th (New Haven)

Wedding: February 14th ❤

SSN Card received: February 20th

Marriage certificate received: February 21st, Passed Driving test theory (CT): February 21st, Opened first bank account (CT): February 21st

Attended 8 hour driver safety course (CT): February 23rd

AOS / AP / EAD sent: March 7th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD received: March 9th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD payment taken: March 25th, 2019

Driving Road Test: March 29th, 2019 (Passed)

NOA1: All received by mail: April 2nd, 2019

Biometrics Appointment: April 19th, 2019 (Hartford, CT) - Good Friday

Telephone Request to Expedite I-131: May 31st, 2019 (Financial Loss)

Email from USCIS requesting info: June 6th, 2019, Information faxed: June 6th, 2019

Telephone Request to Expedite I-765: July 2nd, 2019

CARD IN PRODUCTION - YIPPPPEEEEEE July 3rd, 2019. Hallelujah! lol

EAD/AP Combo card received: July 8th, 2019.

AOS Interview (Hartford): December 4th, 2019, AOS Approval: December 5th, 2019 (Text / online notification)

Greencard Received: December 12, 2019

FROM K1 NOA1 to GREEN CARD IN HAND: 581 DAYS (1 YEAR, 7 MONTHS AND 2 DAYS).

Here we go again on the crazy USCIS train! 

I751 Application filed 6th September, 2021

24 month extension letter received

N400 Application filed online 6th September, 2022

28th February, 2023 : 48 month extension letter received

13th March: N400 updated to 'Interview was Scheduled'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, DJClaire said:

So finally my app has update to show that my N400 interview has been scheduled and I have some questions.

Originally a K1. Temp Greencard, expired 2021. Extension letters received 24 months and recently a 48 month.

Sept 21: i751 Filed 

Sept 22: N400 filed

Case moved to Hartford, CT from Vermont.

So my questions . . . 

1) Only my N400 has updated on the apps, not the i751 - is my interview likely to be a combo interview?

Very possibly, but not a for sure.  I think you can send a message to USCIS requesting a combo.  Maybe @Crazy Cat will weigh in.

2) Has anyone managed to do a same day oath in Hartford, CT? I understand there is a 1.30pm cut off?! 

Not familiar with Hartford.

3) What additional paperwork should I take? It's been 7 months since my application. I will have my fresh 2022 tax return in hand for the interview, but what else?

The interview notice and N400 instructions give a good list of what documents to bring to the interview (beginning on page 11).

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-400instr.pdf

4) Must my spouse attend too? Has anyone done it without their spouse?

If it is a combo interview your spouse should attend.  The N400 interview portion should be just you.

The reason I ask is because we are in Spain for a few months and it would be easier and cheaper for me to return alone to do the interview rather than dragging my wife and young son.

Thoughts? Experiences to share?

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

please bring ur USC spouse. i know it doesnt list so to bring ur spouse on the letter, but if its under 3 years rule, bring ur spouse. last may 2022 my friend got the interview in jacksonville, FL.  friend USC husband is military and stationed in korea. he didnt come with her, she brought his paperwork that showed he was stationed in korea. the check in person wont let her in no matter how much she begged and cried.. if its not because an office came out, heard what happened and let her in, there's no way she can get in. this is because the officer was a military who was stationed in korea so he understood. 

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, DJClaire said:

We had prepared for a combo interview since my wife's I-751 was pending, Then, 2 days before the appointment, we received an email from the field office which instructed me to be there with my wife.  It used the term "combination interview".  I would certainly prepare for I-751 questions. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

The issue is that individual experiences vary so much that it is really difficult to give you a concrete answer other than to prepare for every situation.

I had my N400 interview last Friday, with a pending I-751. My husband came along with me. The IO didn't need him to come inside for the interview so he just waited in the USCIS lobby. Before the interview I prepared an updated binder for all the new stuff since filing for citizenship: 2022 taxes, updated insurance, current bank statements, recent vet bills. However, we had submitted a pretty large binder for both I-751 and N-400, so she said she didn't need any more documentation from us. So all in all if my husband hadn't taken a day off work I think I would have been absolutely fine, though we did enjoy a really nice sushi lunch together post-interview and day home.

On the other hand, you read stories about IOs wanting to interview spouses or refusing to proceed if both partners aren't there. I'd probably play it safe and have your wife attend if at all possible.

2 hours ago, Misscloud said:

please bring ur USC spouse. i know it doesnt list so to bring ur spouse on the letter, but if its under 3 years rule, bring ur spouse. last may 2022 my friend got the interview in jacksonville, FL.  friend USC husband is military and stationed in korea. he didnt come with her, she brought his paperwork that showed he was stationed in korea. the check in person wont let her in no matter how much she begged and cried.. if its not because an office came out, heard what happened and let her in, there's no way she can get in. this is because the officer was a military who was stationed in korea so he understood. 

Were they intending to do a combo interview then? N400 does not require the US spouse.

event.png

K1

Interview: January 22nd 2019 (Approved subject to medical approval), Medical approved and sent to the embassy: 24th January 2019

Marriage certificate received: February 21st, Passed Driving test theory (CT): February 21st, Opened first bank account (CT): February 21st

Email from USCIS requesting info: June 6th, 2019, Information faxed: June 6th, 2019

AOS Interview (Hartford): December 4th, 2019, AOS Approval: December 5th, 2019 (Text / online notification)

58 minutes ago, AffableAndy said:

The issue is that individual experiences vary so much that it is really difficult to give you a concrete answer other than to prepare for every situation.

I had my N400 interview last Friday, with a pending I-751. My husband came along with me. The IO didn't need him to come inside for the interview so he just waited in the USCIS lobby. Before the interview I prepared an updated binder for all the new stuff since filing for citizenship: 2022 taxes, updated insurance, current bank statements, recent vet bills. However, we had submitted a pretty large binder for both I-751 and N-400, so she said she didn't need any more documentation from us. So all in all if my husband hadn't taken a day off work I think I would have been absolutely fine, though we did enjoy a really nice sushi lunch together post-interview and day home.

On the other hand, you read stories about IOs wanting to interview spouses or refusing to proceed if both partners aren't there. I'd probably play it safe and have your wife attend if at all possible.

This is really useful. I think connecting with people who have been processed through my local office in Hartford is the way to go. Thank you

event.png

K1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

We talked about my I-751. The IO had a scanned copy available to her. She just confirmed that we were still married and living together, and after the naturalization interview she said everything looks good but my A-file needs to be shipped over from the service center (LIN) to my local office before they can approve my cases. She did say that barring anything else coming up she everything looked good for approval.

You don't necessarily need an interview for I-751 at all so I can't tell if it was a combo interview or my interview was waived by the IO.

Definitely ask other people at your location and make your decision! 

If you get a same day path, traveling back right away might be complicated. My state doesn't allow for it but I'm not sure about CT.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.