Moobeidat

F1 Visa Refused after Adminstrative Processing

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! 

I would really appreciate your guidance.

I've had my interview for an F1 visa two weeks ago.
My profile is strong and I did very well at the interview, but at the end, the Visa officer asked me to show her the bank statement of my sponsor which is my father.
Now, I didn't have the bank statement with me at the time because I've mailed it alongside other application documents to the university I had applied to.
I explained that and told her that I can issue a new one and send it to the embassy.
So, she kept my passport and I-20 with her, moved my application into Adminstrative Processing under section 221(g), and told me that after I email them the bank statement I will recieve a phone call telling me to come pay the Visa printing fees.

I emailed them the bank statment 6 days after the interview date (the reason for the delay is that my father's account was down $2k from the amount on the I-20 and he had to raise the missing amount).
A day after submitting the email, my application status got updated to "Refused" and yesterday I recieved back my passport with a refusal paper.

Taking my situation into perspective, do you recommend me to apply immediately again on the same I-20 (without having changed anything in my application) considering that I will now have the bank statemtent with me? And will my chances of getting the Visa on the second try still be high when I explain to the Visa officer the reason why there was a delay in sending the bank statement? What's your advice?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

What was the reason for denial/refusal listed on the letter?  It would not be wise to re-apply before resolving the reason for denial.

Can you post a copy?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

What was the reason for denial/refusal listed on the letter?  It would not be wise to re-apply before resolving the reason for denial.

Can you post a copy?

The letter I recieved is in Arabic. It's vague and doesn't mention any specific reason for the denial.
The main point translates to something along the lines of "You have been found ineligible for a nonimmigrant visa based on section 214(b)".
I'm assuming the denial is most likely due to the delay in sending the bank statement especially because my case got updated the next day after sending the email (sent email on 30/Jan), plus, I don't have anything negative in my background that might warrant a refusal on other grounds.1634816164_Screenshot2023-02-11213815.jpg.27ccc865bec7ba2ceecc74249db4ab83.jpg

Timeline
  • Did not establish eligibility for the visa category being applied for or overcome the presumption of being an intending immigrant - INA section 214(b)

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

"

Under Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), applicants are presumed to be intending immigrants unless they credibly demonstrate, to the consular officer’s satisfaction, that their economic, family, and social ties outside the United States are strong enough that they will depart at the end of their authorized stay and that their intended activities in the United States will be consistent with the visa status.

If your application for a visa has been refused under Section 214(b) INA, there is no appeal process.  While you are not prohibited from reapplying for a visa, unless you can show credible, new, and compelling ties outside the United States, and that your intended activities in the United States are consistent with the visa class, a different outcome is unlikely.  If you decide to reapply, you must schedule a new interview and pay a new MRV application fee."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This law applies only to nonimmigrant visa categories. If you are refused a visa under section 214(b), it means that you:

• Did not sufficiently demonstrate to the consular officer that you qualify for the nonimmigrant visa category you applied for; and/or
  • Did not overcome the presumption of immigrant intent, required by law, by sufficiently demonstrating that you have strong ties to your home country that will compel you to leave the United States at the end of your temporary stay. (H-1B and L visa applicants, along with their spouse and any minor children, are excluded from this requirement.) 

you may not have had enough bank money to pay for tuition (2 K will not pay for tuition in a university )

OR

If father is USC now,  the CO thought he would apply to adjust your status for u to remain in the USA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Moobeidat said:

The letter I recieved is in Arabic. It's vague and doesn't mention any specific reason for the denial.
The main point translates to something along the lines of "You have been found ineligible for a nonimmigrant visa based on section 214(b)".
I'm assuming the denial is most likely due to the delay in sending the bank statement especially because my case got updated the next day after sending the email (sent email on 30/Jan), plus, I don't have anything negative in my background that might warrant a refusal on other grounds.1634816164_Screenshot2023-02-11213815.jpg.27ccc865bec7ba2ceecc74249db4ab83.jpg

Do you have sufficient funds for the school?

I am guessing the $2k under the I-20 amount plus the last minute deposit may have caused them to suspect the money was temporarily borrowed just to show it to the embassy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My guess and maybe assumption 

Father and OP are abroad

Fathers account showed 2k less than I 20 amount.

Many students run out of money and seems all that was shown was a marginal amount for studying, what would they live on?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I agree.  Rescheduling and telling the CO that you delayed sending the bank statement because you were waiting for a deposit won't result in approval, imho. 

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

You could try, I’ve seen similar situations and the person was approved. It’s just hard to determine if the bank statement was the only reason you were denied. It’s really not the embassy’s job to determine how much the applicant will live on because when they school creates the threshold it’s not only tuition, it’s tuition, housing, books as well as living allowance. So even if it’s the exact amount (which I have seen been approved), it should be fine. It could be the last minute deposit. 

Why did you mail the bank statement to the school? All these things are done electronically. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Just to clarify things.
1. I don't have any family or relatives in the U.S.
2. The amount on I-20 was $30,000.
3. After the interview, my father had $28k in his account and it took us the 6 days (two of which were weekend days so banks were closed) to reach the required threshold so we can issue a new bank statement.

1 hour ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

I am guessing the $2k under the I-20 amount plus the last minute deposit may have caused them to suspect the money was temporarily borrowed just to show it to the embassy.

The Visa officer asked me for a bank statement that just shows the available balance. So, the one I've sent them doesn't show any deposits or transactions.

1 hour ago, Kanja said:

Why did you mail the bank statement to the school? All these things are done electronically. 

Most things were sent to the school by email but they specifically asked for physical copies of the transcript and bank statement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So all your Sponsor has is the money you need for the I20 maybe

Yoi need a well qualified sponsor 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 hours ago, Moobeidat said:

2. The amount on I-20 was $30,000.
3. After the interview, my father had $28k in his account and it took us the 6 days (two of which were weekend days so banks were closed) to reach the required threshold so we can issue a new bank statement.

First: Disclaimer - I am not very familiar with F1 student visa other than reading about it here on VJ and researching it for my nephew.

I believe this was the reason for the denial.  There are other expenses a student will incur beyond the I-20 amount.  Some.embassies want to see about twice the I-20 amount.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

As a former F1 student myself, I can almost guarantee that the reason for the denial is that your sponsor is too close to the $30k listed in the I-20. And even worse, he’s 2k shy of it. I’d feel more confident with a sponsor that had around $45k in the bank.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.