animax

Case assigned to wrong embassy/consulate?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiancee is Iranian and, as there is no (active) U.S. Embassy/Consulate in Iran, we have to be processed through either:

On our I-129F, we wrote that we wanted to apply to Yerevan, Armenia.

We received our NOA2 December 1.

I sent an inquiry to NVC this past week and got our case number on Friday.

However, our case number starts with ABD and we are concerned this seems to indicate Abu Dhabi and not Yerevan. (?)

Are we interpreting the case number correctly? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this, or any advice?

I sent another inquiry to NVC and am awaiting their response!

Thank you so much.

To my understanding, in cases like these, NVC assigns the case to the consulate they choose. You can try to ask to change to Yerevan but not sure if they’ll accept your request, let us know what they say 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, animax said:

Hi everyone,

My fiancee is Iranian and, as there is no (active) U.S. Embassy/Consulate in Iran, we have to be processed through either:

On our I-129F, we wrote that we wanted to apply to Yerevan, Armenia.

We received our NOA2 December 1.

I sent an inquiry to NVC this past week and got our case number on Friday.

However, our case number starts with ABD and we are concerned this seems to indicate Abu Dhabi and not Yerevan. (?)

Are we interpreting the case number correctly? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this, or any advice?

I sent another inquiry to NVC and am awaiting their response!

Thank you so much.

ABD is Abu Dhabi

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Thank you guys for the help!

It seems like we did the right thing by sending another inquiry to NVC and asking if it could be changed/transferred. Hopefully we stand a chance of fixing it because of how early we discovered this!

I don't 100% understand how it ended up like this: whether they ignored our answer on the I-129F, or if they simply don't pay attention to it when assigning the embassy/consulate for Iranian applicants. It doesn't seem fair to ignore it, because traveling to a foreign country is already a big burden for Iranians, and even more so if the country is chosen arbitrarily.

35 minutes ago, animax said:

Thank you guys for the help!

It seems like we did the right thing by sending another inquiry to NVC and asking if it could be changed/transferred. Hopefully we stand a chance of fixing it because of how early we discovered this!

I don't 100% understand how it ended up like this: whether they ignored our answer on the I-129F, or if they simply don't pay attention to it when assigning the embassy/consulate for Iranian applicants. It doesn't seem fair to ignore it, because traveling to a foreign country is already a big burden for Iranians, and even more so if the country is chosen arbitrarily.

That field is always ignored, for everyone. I put a different consulate there but they automatically assigned it to the one where I was living at the time (based off “current address of beneficiary field”). Once my case got to NVC I sent an inquiry asking them to change the consulate and attached evidence of residency for that country.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

That field is always ignored, for everyone. I put a different consulate there but they automatically assigned it to the one where I was living at the time (based off “current address of beneficiary field”). Once my case got to NVC I sent an inquiry asking them to change the consulate and attached evidence of residency for that country.

Wow! I didn't realize that! I'm glad it worked out for you and it really gives me even more hope we have a good chance of transferring.

1 minute ago, animax said:

Wow! I didn't realize that! I'm glad it worked out for you and it really gives me even more hope we have a good chance of transferring.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Abu Dhabi is nice.  Enjoy the trip 👍

I agree! Ferrari world is worth the trip in itself. Formula Rossa Baby!!!

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

On 2/5/2023 at 6:01 PM, animax said:

Please let us know if you were successful to change the embassy. I would like to also change it from ABD to Yerevan once our I-130 petition is approved

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Mishekebeshe said:

Please let us know if you were successful to change the embassy. I would like to also change it from ABD to Yerevan once our I-130 petition is approved

I promise I will update this thread as soon as we get a reply! Good luck!

9 minutes ago, animax said:

I sent them the inquiry on Sunday and today they just replied!

They switched our case to Yerevan, Armenia and provided a new case number starting with YRV with no issue.

Thanks for the update, that’s great to hear 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.