Tomell

Anything "Special" For Medical "Emergencies"?

19 posts in this topic

I am an American who has been living in Cebu Philippines with my lovely wife Anabel for 7 years now (We've been officially married out of Utah, for 1.5 years) 

I am currently in the US for what looks like a MUTHA of an operation (LVAD hear pump) and having this pump in me and its maintenence may well prevent me from ever going back to the Philippines.

The operation itself has something close to  40% "dying on the table" rate and will require 3 to 6 months of 24 hour care. They say that support from family is one of the key factors in surviving an operation like this, and she is pretty much my only available family.

So my question is this: Is there NY way to get an "emergency" or "medical" expidite on a spousal visa? I would be VERY grateful of someone can help me out on this topic.

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

Tom Bell

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You can certainly try to get an expedite.  Just remember that "expedite" means faster then others....but it does not mean fast. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Sorry you are going through this.  

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-a-chapter-5 

Seems like you tick the boxes for 2 categories: financial loss to a U.S. citizen and emergency / humanitarian reason. 

I don’t think this is DIY. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

What If you will gather all the documents and ask your doctor to make a certificate related to this condition then have wife apply for an emergency visit visa. At this very moment, what is important is that both of you must be together for support, (whilst waiting for immigration visa to be process and approved.) I am hoping that everything will be okay. God Bless!

Salamat, NG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you started the process, if so when?

I was also thinking of an emergency appointment for a B. Will you be staying in the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks for all the tips everyone! To restate, my wife and I are married, and the visa Id like to pursue would likely be a spousal, but am open to whatever gets her here fastest. I just 2 days ago learned of the operation and have not begun the visa process yet (Money with me being unwell has been super tight) but with all these changes in my health, it just needs to get done...

I am new here and assume it may be written in other threads, but is anyone aware of a super knowledgeable member, and/or immigration attorney who might be able to do a little bit of Pro Bono work to give me a hand with this?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Tomell said:

Thanks for all the tips everyone! To restate, my wife and I are married, and the visa Id like to pursue would likely be a spousal, but am open to whatever gets her here fastest. I just 2 days ago learned of the operation and have not begun the visa process yet (Money with me being unwell has been super tight) but with all these changes in my health, it just needs to get done...

I am new here and assume it may be written in other threads, but is anyone aware of a super knowledgeable member, and/or immigration attorney who might be able to do a little bit of Pro Bono work to give me a hand with this?

This is an unusual situation.  Yes, you should go ahead and start the spouse visa process as soon as possible.   BUT EVEN SOONER LIKE MONDAY MORNING....

Get the office of your Senior US Senator for your State involved in arranging an emergency visitor visa for your wife to come to the USA ASAP to help in your recovery.  A clear statement from your Cardiologist will be needed, of course.

Somebody said the is not a do it yourself situation.  I agree, but the help you need is not from a lawyer.  You need that Senator involved.  Unless you actually personally know the other Senator or your Congressman, use the Senior Senator's office.  They have local offices in major cities.  Just Google it and contact them Monday.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Note this link does not mention a spouse as an immediate relative, but I have seen such consideration give to the spouse when a US Citizen was getting an amputation.  It wasn't "fast" enough to be there for the surgery, but was soon enough to provide care and support after.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

6 hours ago, pushbrk said:

This is an unusual situation.  Yes, you should go ahead and start the spouse visa process as soon as possible.   BUT EVEN SOONER LIKE MONDAY MORNING....

Get the office of your Senior US Senator for your State involved in arranging an emergency visitor visa for your wife to come to the USA ASAP to help in your recovery.  A clear statement from your Cardiologist will be needed, of course.

Somebody said the is not a do it yourself situation.  I agree, but the help you need is not from a lawyer.  You need that Senator involved.  Unless you actually personally know the other Senator or your Congressman, use the Senior Senator's office.  They have local offices in major cities.  Just Google it and contact them Monday.

Thanks Pushbrk, I did write the congresswoman listed in my district in Indiana, and will follow-up, and yes, Will write the Senator as well Thanks for that advice!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Tomell said:

Thanks Pushbrk, I did write the congresswoman listed in my district in Indiana, and will follow-up, and yes, Will write the Senator as well Thanks for that advice!

You can call.  They have local offices with phone numbers.  Ask for immigration assistance.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Tomell said:

OK, she had her interview in Manila yesterday, was asked 6 questions, and they told her "to come back to the embassy in 1 week (No time, just to come back) She as not told, yes or no, but they did keep her passport. Is that a yes? Should I buy a ticket?

You should NOT buy a ticket until the visa is in hand and has been checked for errors. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.