craftercool

Should we open the DHL envelope?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi VJ members,

My mom had her consular interview last Monday and she was approved 🙌 🎉 We just got the envelope that was delivered to a local DHL but we were never told if we should open it or not.

Back in 2016 when I became a resident I was told to take it as it was straight to the Immigration office at any international bridge and they would open it there and stamp my passport, I don't know if that remains the same or not.

Would appreciate your guidance on this 🙏

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There should be an envelope inside which says "Do not open." You can open the outside envelope but not the one inside..hold in, let me call @ROK2USA

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Timona said:

There should be an envelope inside which says "Do not open." You can open the outside envelope but not the one inside..hold in, let me call @ROK2USA

Alrighty, will wait for confirmation.

Thanks 🙏

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just like the other comment - You open the DHL packet because you may have other things in there for follow  up instructions etc.   - In that (DHL) packet there is an another envelope which says "DO NOT OPEN" - don't open that envelope because this is Supposed to be handed to USCIS officer at the time your mom is "ready to migrate", at the point of entry.  Or if you feel comfortable take the whole thing to land crossing as you said. 

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

And if you open the DHL envelope and you do not find a DO NOT OPEN envelope inside, do not panic.  Some of them are electronically done now.  Read through the material and follow the instructions.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Vickys_Mom said:

And if you open the DHL envelope and you do not find a DO NOT OPEN envelope inside, do not panic.  Some of them are electronically done now.  Read through the material and follow the instructions.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Awesome, much appreciated 🙏

6 hours ago, craftercool said:

Hi VJ members,

My mom had her consular interview last Monday and she was approved 🙌 🎉 We just got the envelope that was delivered to a local DHL but we were never told if we should open it or not.

Back in 2016 when I became a resident I was told to take it as it was straight to the Immigration office at any international bridge and they would open it there and stamp my passport, I don't know if that remains the same or not.

Would appreciate your guidance on this 🙏

Congrats on your approval! 

Is the passport in the envelope or is this a separate envelope to the passport?

If you need to open the envelope to get the passport open envelope.

If it is separate, keep it closed. 

But in my case, everything was electronic and I didn't have a separate package. 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Congrats on your approval! 

Is the passport in the envelope or is this a separate envelope to the passport?

If you need to open the envelope to get the passport open envelope.

If it is separate, keep it closed. 

But in my case, everything was electronic and I didn't have a separate package. 

Hey there, thanks!! 🙏

Well we just got one of those yellow cardboard envelopes, it feels really thin and light, seems like only her passport is in it.

But, we haven't opened it yet so... I don't know, I feel like taking it as it is to the point of entry. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
13 hours ago, craftercool said:

Hey there, thanks!! 🙏

Well we just got one of those yellow cardboard envelopes, it feels really thin and light, seems like only her passport is in it.

But, we haven't opened it yet so... I don't know, I feel like taking it as it is to the point of entry. 

If you're crossing by land you can probably take it as it is. If flying you wouldn't have any other chance as to open it because you'd need the passport to board.

You can also ask the IV unit at the embassy to make sure.

Filed: Timeline
13 hours ago, craftercool said:

Hey there, thanks!! 🙏

You can’t take envelope as it is to the POE if it contains her passport considering she can’t board the plane without presenting her passport to the airline. So if the passport wasn’t returned in a separate envelope, you’ll need to open the envelope from DHL in that case. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Sm1smom said:

You can’t take envelope as it is to the POE if it contains her passport considering she can’t board the plane without presenting her passport to the airline. So if the passport wasn’t returned in a separate envelope, you’ll need to open the envelope from DHL in that case. 

They seem to be crossing by land so yes, possible to just hand them the whole thing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 hours ago, Vickys_Mom said:

And if you open the DHL envelope and you dvo not find a DO NOT OPEN envelope inside, do not panic.  Some of them are electronically done now.  Read through the material and follow the instructions.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

yeah  it could just be your passport with visa stamp inside / check the info on the visa to see if its correct

It may well just contain the passport - some visas just get an annotation about "paperwork in (some USCIS system acronym)" because it's done electronically. I'd open the DHL envelope to check: there's always a slight risk of a mixup (might be the wrong passport, or whatever) - if there is an actual "do not open, hand directly to USCIS on entry", it'll be inside and clearly marked as such. Personally, I'd open the DHL envelope to check what is inside; if there is a "do not open" envelope, I'd keep that inside the DHL envelope for safety/protection until reaching the border crossing.

18 hours ago, craftercool said:

Hey there, thanks!! 🙏

Is it an envelope with a cut on the corner or the actual DHL envelope?

Because if it is the latter, you can open it. 

I'm fairly sure they've gone electronic in Mexico, too. 

But, better to call the embassy and double check if you are worried. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

Is it an envelope with a cut on the corner or the actual DHL envelope?

Because if it is the latter, you can open it. 

I'm fairly sure they've gone electronic in Mexico, too. 

But, better to call the embassy and double check if you are worried. 

Yes it has an easy-cut line on it.

I'm actually thinking that if one wasn't supposed to open it, would they tell you at the end of the interview? But, they didn't mention it, so... 

D_NQ_NP_901381-MLM49226555409_022022-O.jpg

Edited by craftercool

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.