35 posts in this topic

Hi. So, I am flying to the U.S. Next week and have my spouse/immigrant visa which I got around 2 weeks ago. The whole process was quite nerve racking and had me probably worrying more than I should have. 

Anyway, is there anything I should prepare for when I get to the border officers? Or is it pretty much a straight forward process of confirming details given I've already done the interview etc and been accepted. 

I'm naturally quite anxious when it comes to all this and just wondering if anyone else can give some experience or insight. 

I'm coming from the UK. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1. Were you married in 2021?

2. if so is the 2 year anniversary of your marriage before or after your visa expires?

Timeline

Cool you’ve been married more than 2 years so you will get a 10 year gc. 

Is your spouse traveling with you?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, marshalliv said:

Hi. So, I am flying to the U.S. Next week and have my spouse/immigrant visa which I got around 2 weeks ago. The whole process was quite nerve racking and had me probably worrying more than I should have. 

Anyway, is there anything I should prepare for when I get to the border officers? Or is it pretty much a straight forward process of confirming details given I've already done the interview etc and been accepted. 

I'm naturally quite anxious when it comes to all this and just wondering if anyone else can give some experience or insight. 

I'm coming from the UK. 

Very simple process at entry . Biometrics again.. confirmation of the mailing address for your green card .. stamp on the visa in your passport and a welcome to the USA. 

Make sure you gave paid the GC fee.. the actual card wont be printed until

you have both paid for the card and entered the US 

Safe travels… nearly there !! 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, marshalliv said:

No, just myself. 

Cool. As long as your spouse is inside the USA when you arrive it is fine. Expect a long time in secondary inspection (mostly waiting).  

59 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Very simple process at entry . Biometrics again.. confirmation of the mailing address for your green card .. stamp on the visa in your passport and a welcome to the USA. 

Make sure you gave paid the GC fee.. the actual card wont be printed until

you have both paid for the card and entered the US 

Safe travels… nearly there !! 

Nice. I've already paid the $220 fee. Good to know it's a relatively simple process. I'm hoping Ireland preclearance makes it run smoothly. 

46 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Cool. As long as your spouse is inside the USA when you arrive it is fine. Expect a long time in secondary inspection (mostly waiting).  

Yes, she's waiting as patiently as possible :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, marshalliv said:

Nice. I've already paid the $220 fee. Good to know it's a relatively simple process. I'm hoping Ireland preclearance makes it run smoothly. 

Yes, she's waiting as patiently as possible :)

Doing preclearance in Dublin means no formalities stateside. Walk off,  collect your luggage and  exit as if it was a domestic arrival 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, marshalliv said:

I'm hoping Ireland preclearance makes it run smoothly.

That will make everything run smoothly. Good decision.  

You are less likely to have a secondary  and your wife won’t be waiting for hours at the airport in the U.S.  while you are waiting with no mobile or WiFi as CBP secondary inspection facilities are known for (IME).  

Plus you will be  an LPR before you arrive in the U.S. 

Now you can truly relax. 

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

That will make everything run smoothly. Good decision.  

You are less likely to have a secondary  and your wife won’t be waiting for hours at the airport in the U.S.  while you are waiting with no mobile or WiFi as CBP secondary inspection facilities are known for (IME).  

Plus you will be  an LPR before you arrive in the U.S. 

Now you can truly relax. 

I can't wait for it all to finally be done with. It's been such a long time coming!

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Doing preclearance in Dublin means no formalities stateside. Walk off,  collect your luggage and  exit as if it was a domestic arrival 

I can't wait! This last week here is the longest week ever :)

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.