Jules15

Sending in I-751! Organization tips?!

30 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I am unconventional and go with my own logic rather than sending masses of redundant paper because eager forum members suggest it. You’ll have to decide what makes sense to you. To me 500 pages is not going to be viewed and there is a greater chance they will 1) leave it sitting on the desk/shelf forever because it is going to be a drudgery to go through, 2) miss something important because it’s HUGE...

Your logic is absolutely sound - I also just recognize we're dealing with bored contractors/bureaucrats. I'd rather do what the majority of folks are doing and avoid the delay of an RFE vs go more lightweight. That said - I'll be very interested to see how you get on :) I couldn't be more philosophically aligned with what you're trying to accomplish!

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Oath Scheduled - May 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony - June 18, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I am unconventional and go with my own logic rather than sending masses of redundant paper because eager forum members suggest it. You’ll have to decide what makes sense to you. To me 500 pages is not going to be viewed and there is a greater chance they will 1) leave it sitting on the desk/shelf forever because it is going to be a drudgery to go through, 2) miss something important because it’s HUGE,

Thanks for the complete details! I agree with your logic above if I were a Field Officer. I wish USCIS would be more direct and specify if they want one statement per quarter instead of monthly etc. Our AOS packet was hundreds of pages because we sent monthly statements and our wait was 17 months without RFE nor interview. I wonder if the long wait is because of the overwhelming mountain of evidence we gave 🤨. I will never know.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Rearviewmirror said:

That said - I'll be very interested to see how you get on :) I couldn't be more philosophically aligned with what you're trying to accomplish!

I got on with no RFE, no interview, no issues. Everybody has to decided what they are most comfortable with. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
38 minutes ago, chancecody said:

Thanks for the complete details! I agree with your logic above if I were a Field Officer. I wish USCIS would be more direct and specify if they want one statement per quarter instead of monthly etc. Our AOS packet was hundreds of pages because we sent monthly statements and our wait was 17 months without RFE nor interview. I wonder if the long wait is because of the overwhelming mountain of evidence we gave 🤨. I will never know.

Times have just gotten bogged down over the years. My ROC was the most pages of any of my applications. I also did not have an adjustment of status RFE or interview. That had zero bank statements. We married and filed within a week after my entry into the US. We didn’t really have much to show at that point but a marriage certificate and a few very casual wedding photos with close friends. I did collect things as we went along in case we had an interview. 

Hi folks, 

In the process of completing the I-175 form in Acrobat, and wondering if people put n/a in any blank fields? It doesn't allow it for many i.e. form fields where it should only include numbers and/or many fields don't accept the forward slash symbol, so I'm assuming it's ok to leave them blank? Anyone able to confirm this? 

Thank you! 

42 minutes ago, kjmaiwen said:

Hi folks, 

In the process of completing the I-175 form in Acrobat, and wondering if people put n/a in any blank fields? It doesn't allow it for many i.e. form fields where it should only include numbers and/or many fields don't accept the forward slash symbol, so I'm assuming it's ok to leave them blank? Anyone able to confirm this? 

Thank you! 

I left them all blank.

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

Removal of Conditions:

event.png

23 minutes ago, kjmaiwen said:

Hi there, 

when filing your joint tax returns, did people include the whole thing?! Ours run to 200+ pages!

I would include tax transcript from IRS which is only couple of pages long. Also those are superior evidence that you actually filed your taxes.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 1/5/2023 at 7:13 AM, Rocio0010 said:

This is how we organized it:

• Cover on top.
  • Check
  • Cover letter
  • Form G-1145
  • Form 751
  • Evidence organized from newest to oldest. For example, most recent bank statement on top, followed by the older ones. 
  • We hole punched on top (because the article that @Chancy posted was released after we filed) and held everything together with a 3" inch ACCO binder and a piece of cardboard at the back, for more stability.
  • Used sticky dividers on the side
  • We wrote the name of the documents with labels that we created using a DYMO label maker.
  • Sent the package in a sturdy FedEx box.

@Rocio0010 I used your lead and wanna say THANKS A BUNCH. I’m an Oct 2021 I-751 filer and I did not know about this VJ forum back then so I sent my I-751 all with loose papers to the best of my ability and judgment on which pages they may need. Well, it did not go well. October 2022 I got an RFE where they were stating they received only a several photographs + tax refund for 2020. Naturally it was insufficient evidence of a bona fide marriage and made me look like I’m not eligible for ROC. They just lost the whole stack of papers I sent them…so I had to treat my RFE just like another I-751. I finally sent out my 1.5incher dossier in the beginning of Jan. Literally everything but the kitchen sink they have from me. And I used your helpful guiding directions on how to organize all of it as I’m not giving them another chance to lose my papers. Enough is enough. Just my 5 cents, regardless of them NOT wanting hole punched docs. They got it anyways. This time I hope for a favorable response the sooner the better. 

F0219D02-5424-4A12-9BA7-803AC0DE943F.jpeg

Edited by Elena & Craig

Timeline
1 hour ago, K.T said:

I would include tax transcript from IRS which is only couple of pages long. Also those are superior evidence that you actually filed your taxes.  

Second that. IRS tax transcripts only! USCIS even mentions that it’s what they prefer. Good luck! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Elena & Craig said:

@Rocio0010 I used your lead and wanna say THANKS A BUNCH. I’m an Oct 2021 I-751 filer and I did not know about this VJ forum back then so I sent my I-751 all with loose papers to the best of my ability and judgment on which pages they may need. Well, it did not go well. October 2022 I got an RFE where they were stating they received only a several photographs + tax refund for 2020. Naturally it was insufficient evidence of a bona fide marriage and made me look like I’m not eligible for ROC. They just lost the whole stack of papers I sent them…so I had to treat my RFE just like another I-751. I finally sent out my 1.5incher dossier in the beginning of Jan. Literally everything but the kitchen sink they have from me. And I used your helpful guiding directions on how to organize all of it as I’m not giving them another chance to lose my papers. Enough is enough. Just my 5 cents, regardless of them NOT wanting hole punched docs. They got it anyways. This time I hope for a favorable response the sooner the better. 

F0219D02-5424-4A12-9BA7-803AC0DE943F.jpeg

I’m glad I was of some help! And I sent my package right before they came up with the no hole punch thing!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

18 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

I’m glad I was of some help! And I sent my package right before they came up with the no hole punch thing!

Fellow hole punchers unite!

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

Removal of Conditions:

event.png

I think what USCIS probably most prefers these days is a big uniform stack of loose, single-sided, letter size paper that they can just plop down on a big industrial sized scanner and push the scan button one time without anything jamming up their document feeder or needing disassembled.by hand.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 1/13/2023 at 10:14 AM, Rocio0010 said:

Haha, my freaking dossier worked dealing with a pesky RFE. “New card is being produced” today. I’m certainly not encouraging people to send that much paper or hole punched documents under normal circumstances BUT if you have to deal with RFE where they lost your papers sending a substantial stack won’t hurt. They did not care whether it was loose or hole punched and organized. 

• 1 year later...

No hole punching if mailing to USCIS service center but I-751 should be mailed to a lockbox not service center so they recommend fasteners or heavy clip and sticky tabs.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-guidance/tips-for-filing-forms-by-mail

• In preparing your packet, remember:
    • Do not use binders or folders that we cannot easily disassemble.
    • Do not use heavy-duty staples. Instead, use fasteners or heavy clips to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated. Note: this is only applicable when submitting filings at a USCIS lockbox location. We recommend that you do not use fasteners, hole punch, staple, paper clip, binder clip, or otherwise attach documents to one another when filing directly with a USCIS service center as that may cause delays in scanning the documents into the electronic database systems.
    • Sticky tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. For easy filing, place the tabs on the bottom of the page, not the side. Note: this is only applicable when submitting filing at a USCIS lockbox location. We recommend that you do not place sticky notes on documents when filing directly with a USCIS service center as that may cause delays in scanning the documents into the electronic database systems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.