Seven

Fort Myers N-400, 10 year GC renewal, and ridiculous processing times

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello everyone!

My 10 years GC expires June 2023. With the new policy changes of USCIS I would get an automatic extension of the green card of 24 months for either an I-90 or an N-400 application. Yesterday, talking to an USCIS agent, she said that if my citizenship is pending after 2 years then I would not get anymore green card extensions. Right now in the USCIS website the GC and the citizenship processing times are around 20 months each for 80% of cases. My husband and I moved to Fort Myers, FL on April 2021 so I have never done anything related to immigration in the Fort Myers office. I am in a dilemma. Should I just renew the GC and then do the naturalization having 10 extra years more to do it whenever or just go ahead and do the citizenship now? It is just problematic to choose what to do the fact that USCIS has overall not been doing good with processing times since COVID...

Side question: anyone knows if there are judicial oath ceremonies in the Fort Myers office? USCIS messed up my first name back in the days and split my two words first name into a first and a middle. Also, I want my maiden name back for cultural reasons so would like that restored too. Therefore, whenever I apply for the N-400, I would ask for a name change to have my first and last name restored to my birth name.

Thank you in advance! Probably I am overthinking this but USCIS being slow processing doesn't make things better for this indecisive human being.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Seven said:

Yesterday, talking to an USCIS agent, she said that if my citizenship is pending after 2 years then I would not get anymore green card extensions

You can call USCIS, say “info pass”, and request an I-551 stamp after your extension letter expires and when you need the extension. 

extra years more to do it whenever or just go ahead and do the citizenship now?

now. Why pay for an I-90  and N-400? 

USCIS messed up my first name back in the days and split my two words first name into a first and a middle. Also, I want my maiden name back for cultural reasons so would like that restored too. Therefore, whenever I apply for the N-400, I would ask for a name change to have my first and last name restored to my birth name

I don’t recommend that.  Name changes can

*lengthen the amount of time to take oath, or

* decouple the oath   from the processing of the change of name document.  The  change of name document is can be delayed indefinitely.  You can end up with no green card, and end up with a  naturalization certificate in your new name that is useless without the change of name document. You are then effectively a non person.  

Instead naturalize in your current name. Then change your name through state court.  

Quicker and simpler. 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You can call USCIS, say “info pass”, and request an I-551 stamp after your extension letter expires and when you need the extension. 

now. Why pay for an I-90  and N-400? 

I don’t recommend that.  Name changes can

*lengthen the amount of time to take oath, or

* decouple the oath   from the processing of the change of name document.  The  change of name document is can be delayed indefinitely.  You can end up with no green card, and end up with a  naturalization certificate in your new name that is useless without the change of name document. You are then effectively a non person.  

Instead naturalize in your current name. Then change your name through state court.  

Quicker and simpler. 

Thank you for the insight. Talking to USCIS agents is so frustrating. They are ambiguous, do not know the latest information, and I end up more confused than how I began...

Also, does the name situation you suggest happen a lot? My understanding is that you could change your name to whatever you wanted within reason during the N-400 processing instead of double paying the N-400 and change of name. I mean I honestly just want my true legal name back. It is the name in my passport and birth certificate after all. Same name that appears in other names used. So confusing.

Edited by Seven

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Seven said:

Also, does the name situation you suggest happen a lot?

I don’t know what percentage of time. It comes up several times a month here and other websites. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife changed her name when she naturalized.  Didn't have to pay anything extra or go through an additional process, but it did add a few weeks as the oath ceremony had to be done at the federal court.  In our case we had to go to Ft. Lauderdale.  Back then there was no USCIS office in Ft. Myers.  For us it was Miami.  Anywhere north of Naples in SW FL went to Tampa.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
20 hours ago, Seven said:

Thank you for the insight. Talking to USCIS agents is so frustrating. They are ambiguous, do not know the latest information, and I end up more confused than how I began...

Also, does the name situation you suggest happen a lot? My understanding is that you could change your name to whatever you wanted within reason during the N-400 processing instead of double paying the N-400 and change of name. I mean I honestly just want my true legal name back. It is the name in my passport and birth certificate after all. Same name that appears in other names used. So confusing.

This is my current situation, re name change. I had my interview back in Nov 2022 and asked to revert back to my maiden name: all my IDs still had it and decided to keep as is. Hence the delay, my status online just said I'm in line for oath ceremony.

*** Father Immigrated with 9 y/o sister in 2009

• I-130: Oct 2010  //  NVC appr: Nov 28, 2010 // RFE rec'd: May 14, 2014 // RFE returned with DNA test Jul 28, 2014  // I-130 approval rec'd Aug 18, 2014 // NVC rec'd Oct 31, 2014 // Welcome letter recd Feb 22, 2016 // AOS bill / IV bill paid Mar 27, 2016 //  Sent in supporting docs, Aug 11, 2016

*** Father became naturalized Citizen in Nov 2016, sent in opt-out request, received Nov. 2016, 

• Case complete Nov 11, 2016 // Interview Package rec'd May 5, 2017 //   Medical May 17 ,2017 // Interview: Jun 2, 2017 // Passport rec'd Jun 8, 2017 // POE: Jun 22, 2017 // SSN changed Oct 08, 2017 // GC/I-551 rec'd - Jul 15, 2017

** Filing for naturalization (N400)

• PD 3/31/2022
  • Biometrics: 4/26/2022
  • Interview Date: 11/21/2022
  • Oath Ceremony:

Timeline
2 minutes ago, phoenyxx said:

This is my current situation, re name change. I had my interview back in Nov 2022 and asked to revert back to my maiden name: all my IDs still had it and decided to keep as is. Hence the delay, my status online just said I'm in line for oath ceremony.

Were you in the Fort Myers office? So you will have the name changed at the time of oath, correct? Thank you!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Seven said:

Were you in the Fort Myers office? So you will have the name changed at the time of oath, correct? Thank you!

Alas, I'm in Philadelphia. I'm hoping I get my current name (FirstName MaidenName) on my cert for the oath ceremony.

*** Father Immigrated with 9 y/o sister in 2009

• I-130: Oct 2010  //  NVC appr: Nov 28, 2010 // RFE rec'd: May 14, 2014 // RFE returned with DNA test Jul 28, 2014  // I-130 approval rec'd Aug 18, 2014 // NVC rec'd Oct 31, 2014 // Welcome letter recd Feb 22, 2016 // AOS bill / IV bill paid Mar 27, 2016 //  Sent in supporting docs, Aug 11, 2016

*** Father became naturalized Citizen in Nov 2016, sent in opt-out request, received Nov. 2016, 

• Case complete Nov 11, 2016 // Interview Package rec'd May 5, 2017 //   Medical May 17 ,2017 // Interview: Jun 2, 2017 // Passport rec'd Jun 8, 2017 // POE: Jun 22, 2017 // SSN changed Oct 08, 2017 // GC/I-551 rec'd - Jul 15, 2017

** Filing for naturalization (N400)

• PD 3/31/2022
  • Biometrics: 4/26/2022
  • Interview Date: 11/21/2022
  • Oath Ceremony:

22 hours ago, Seven said:

Hello everyone!

My 10 years GC expires June 2023. With the new policy changes of USCIS I would get an automatic extension of the green card of 24 months for either an I-90 or an N-400 application. Yesterday, talking to an USCIS agent, she said that if my citizenship is pending after 2 years then I would not get anymore green card extensions. Right now in the USCIS website the GC and the citizenship processing times are around 20 months each for 80% of cases. My husband and I moved to Fort Myers, FL on April 2021 so I have never done anything related to immigration in the Fort Myers office. I am in a dilemma. Should I just renew the GC and then do the naturalization having 10 extra years more to do it whenever or just go ahead and do the citizenship now? It is just problematic to choose what to do the fact that USCIS has overall not been doing good with processing times since COVID...

Side question: anyone knows if there are judicial oath ceremonies in the Fort Myers office? USCIS messed up my first name back in the days and split my two words first name into a first and a middle. Also, I want my maiden name back for cultural reasons so would like that restored too. Therefore, whenever I apply for the N-400, I would ask for a name change to have my first and last name restored to my birth name.

Thank you in advance! Probably I am overthinking this but USCIS being slow processing doesn't make things better for this indecisive human being.

We live in Naples and our service center is Fort Myers. Just to give you an idea. We filed for Removal of Conditions back in December 2021 and we were sent to Potomac which is a 24-26 month wait time. My wife just filed her N400 online today. It said the Fort Myers office is at an estimated 16 month wait time. She also had her green card interview right before Covid locked things down. Their estimated wait times were posted to be much longer, but it did not take as long as expected. So I am hopeful 16 months is worst case scenario. 

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/4/2023 at 5:34 PM, Seven said:

My wife changed her name during her N-400 interview. She got her Naturalization certificate at the end of the interview. The court document with the name change arrived a few days later. The process was very smooth. USCIS Buffalo Office.

Timeline
3 hours ago, jostermacedo said:

My wife changed her name during her N-400 interview. She got her Naturalization certificate at the end of the interview. The court document with the name change arrived a few days later. The process was very smooth. USCIS Buffalo Office.

Thank you for sharing her experience! So it is possible that everything goes as it should 😊

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, for Fort Myers office:

I filed N-400 on August 4, 2022.

Just received notice (1/30/23) of interview scheduled for March 21.

So approximately 6 months from time of receipt and bio metrics reuse to get interview. Not too bad I am thinking even though many on here got interview faster.

Fingers crossed I pass with flying colors.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

File for Naturalization online, then leave USCIS in the dust in a few months.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

21 hours ago, Renata P said:

FYI, for Fort Myers office:

I filed N-400 on August 4, 2022.

Just received notice (1/30/23) of interview scheduled for March 21.

So approximately 6 months from time of receipt and bio metrics reuse to get interview. Not too bad I am thinking even though many on here got interview faster.

Fingers crossed I pass with flying colors.

Hi.

I live in Naples, FL and filed N-400 in July, 2022.

I didn't receive notice for interview and current N-400 processing time for Fort Myers show me 18 months in average. 

My i-751 still pending.

I'm just curios, how many years you are a green card holder? 

I saw at USCIS website that people who have a green card for 5 years have less processing time than all other categories, like 3 years marriage based green card, is it true? 

Will appreciate any information,

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.