tennisFL

Brainstorming Ideas on how to proceed

62 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Marieke H said:

What makes you think that she will easily be approved for all these visas you are going to have her apply for?

The spousal visa application will not give her a visitor visa.

There are no shortcut or loopholes.

Thanks @Marieke H - Getting a visitor visa to canada is not an issue as I have family members in india who get it in a week without hassle. US is at a different level due to the volume of people traveling to US from India.

I am planning to do Spousal after I get married. But I feel having a visitor visa backup now would help to reduce the separation. Just doing some initial research to make my life easier later....

@tennisFL : I know this is not really what you want to hear, and trust me, most of us have gone through the exact same roller coaster of emotions when we just started the process so we know how you feel, but there really is no way to get her to the US any faster than already mentioned. The fact that she doesn't have a visitor visa yet makes it so much harder for you to see each other during the process. The only option to continue to visit each other would be in her home country or a 3rd country.

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

21 minutes ago, tennisFL said:

Thanks @beloved_dingo - It takes 10 days to get a canadian visitor visa, but 2 years to US from India lol
I was of the assumption that while in transit in Canada, we can visit the US embassy to get a visitor visa to US...

Will an application to spousal visa automatically give her temporary visitor visa to the US even for short term? 
Please advise...

From the travel.state.gov website: 

You should schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at another U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be more difficult to qualify for a visa outside of the country where you live. 

Canada wait times:

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 422 Calendar Days (Ottawa)

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 358 Calendar Days (Calgary)

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2)

296 Calendar Days (Halifax)

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) Emergency Appointments Only (Montreal) 

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 296 Calendar Days (Quebec) 

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 456 Calendar Days (Toronto) 

342 Calendar Days (Vancouver)

This is not a viable plan. 

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

14 minutes ago, Daphne . said:

@tennisFL : I know this is not really what you want to hear, and trust me, most of us have gone through the exact same roller coaster of emotions when we just started the process so we know how you feel, but there really is no way to get her to the US any faster than already mentioned. The fact that she doesn't have a visitor visa yet makes it so much harder for you to see each other during the process. The only option to continue to visit each other would be in her home country or a 3rd country.

Thanks @Daphne . - These are helpful information to devise a plan for me. So far I have come to know that CR1 is what I want. It will help and it is quick, saying 9 months currently in India. Some good news the CR1 can be expedited.
Also, now i know that visitor visa in hand would be nice once CR1 process kicks in.  

Thanks for this thread this info is helpful for me.

You also mentioned that we can use a third country to meetup or home country as well... I did buy a new home in India and I can always go there and stay and also i have lot of family there. The issue is my work wants me to be in US and I also have two daughters here in US who I don't want to leave them for long period of time... 

Timeline
39 minutes ago, tennisFL said:

Thanks @beloved_dingo - It takes 10 days to get a canadian visitor visa, but 2 years to US from India lol
I was of the assumption that while in transit in Canada, we can visit the US embassy to get a visitor visa to US...

Will an application to spousal visa automatically give her temporary visitor visa to the US even for short term? 
Please advise...

1. No

2.No 

it is not  difficult to understand the immigration process … it just takes reading over all  the uscis information easily accessed on their website.. and the guides on this site. My feeling is you need to spend  significant time doing this 

Edited by Lil bear

20 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

From the travel.state.gov website: 

You should schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at another U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be more difficult to qualify for a visa outside of the country where you live. 

Canada wait times:

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 422 Calendar Days (Ottawa)

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 358 Calendar Days (Calgary)

296 Calendar Days (Halifax)

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) Emergency Appointments Only (Montreal) 

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 296 Calendar Days (Quebec) 

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 456 Calendar Days (Toronto) 

342 Calendar Days (Vancouver)

This is not a viable plan. 

Thanks @beloved_dingo - So it does that maybe difficult outside the country but doesn't say impossible. If they put me infront of a consular i could explain the need/intent of a visitor visa because it would be technically a visit since the i-130 is in process...

12 minutes ago, tennisFL said:

Thanks @Daphne . - These are helpful information to devise a plan for me. So far I have come to know that CR1 is what I want. It will help and it is quick, saying 9 months currently in India. Some good news the CR1 can be expedited.
Also, now i know that visitor visa in hand would be nice once CR1 process kicks in.  

Thanks for this thread this info is helpful for me.

You also mentioned that we can use a third country to meetup or home country as well... I did buy a new home in India and I can always go there and stay and also i have lot of family there. The issue is my work wants me to be in US and I also have two daughters here in US who I don't want to leave them for long period of time... 

where are you seeing a processing time of 9 months? I checked the processing times for all the USCIS centers and they are at least 10 months, but that is only the first part of the process. After USCIS, the case will go to the NVC and after that to the embassy. 

Expedites are of course free to request, but with the high number of expedite requests currently, USCIS is extra strict so please don’t expect an approved expedite. 

Edit: Just to give you an idea, my entire CR1 process (from initial filing to visa in hand) took 11 months. This was in 2019, so pre-covid and I am from an ‘easy’ country. 

Edited by Daphne .

“It’s been 84 years…” 

Timeline
1 minute ago, tennisFL said:

Thanks @beloved_dingo - So it does that maybe difficult outside the country but doesn't say impossible. If they put me infront of a consular i could explain the need/intent of a visitor visa because it would be technically a visit since the i-130 is in process...

You wont get an appointment as its not your visa application. Consulates dont work like your thinking 

4 minutes ago, Daphne . said:

where are you seeing a processing time of 9 months? I checked the processing times for all the USCIS centers and they are at least 10 months, but that is only the first part of the process. After USCIS, the case will go to the NVC and after that to the embassy. 

Expedites are of course free to request, but with the high number of expedite requests currently, USCIS is extra strict so please don’t expect an approved expedite. 

Thanks @Daphne . - So are you saying it could be easily more than 10 months for even a travel permission to get approved on the CR1 route? How long will that wait be do you think?

My friend told me it took 9 months for him and he applied in jan 2022.

1 minute ago, tennisFL said:

Thanks @Daphne . - So are you saying it could be easily more than 10 months for even a travel permission to get approved on the CR1 route? How long will that wait be do you think?

I updated my previous post with my timeline. 

Not sure what your friend was talking about, but pretty sure it wasn’t about the whole process. Maybe just the USCIS part? 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

2 hours ago, tennisFL said:

Thank you @Daphne . - I see some comments (by i thinkTboneTX ) saying there are ways to bring her to US while processing. Is that the case? I need to read the other threads in depth. Thanks

Tex is gonna smack your hand he sees this thread LOL

We ALL been there buddy.  It’s worth the wait.  

58 minutes ago, tennisFL said:

You’re looking at a year to 18 months minimum.  Buckle up.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, tennisFL said:

9 months to get a K-1? In India? That sounds... unlikely. I mean 6-9 months was the average time when my wife and I went through the K-1 process in 2014/15 (and it ended up being 11 months for us) . It's a hell of a lot slower now.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

3 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

9 months to get a K-1? In India? That sounds... unlikely. I mean 6-9 months was the average time when my wife and I went through the K-1 process in 2014/15 (and it ended up being 11 months for us) . It's a hell of a lot slower now.

Jakarta is smooth sailing compared to India

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 minute ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Jakarta is smooth sailing compared to India

Yeah, the reason ours took a couple months longer than average was USCIS lost track of our application after NOA2, and it took them 4 months to get it to NVC. Once our application reached the Embassy in Jakarta, it was smooth sailing.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.