RICHARD RILEY

I-864A Household member divorcing

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife who was born in the Philippines and became a US Citizen filed a petition for Alien Relative to bring her father here in 2019. Since her income at that time was not enough to meet the poverty guidelines I signed Form I-864A as a household member to supplement her income. We separated on August of this year and are in the process of getting divorced. She just recently informed me her father's petition was forwarded to the Embassy in Manila for interview scheduling.  My question is since she moved out of state and is no longer a member of my household is the Form I-864A still binding? Wouldn't changing her address also forfeit her claim of me supplementing her income since we no longer live under the same roof? Also what kind of legal trouble would she be in with Immigration if she knowingly allowed her father to go to the interview without updating her current address?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

You need to withdraw your I-864A. Contact NVC and the embassy immediately.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the prompt reply guys but I found the information on the I-864A Part 6 section E which states:

I understand that, if I am related to the sponsored immigrant or the sponsor by marriage, the termination of the marriage (by divorce, dissolution, annulment, or other legal process) will not relieve me of my obligations under this Form I-864A.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, RICHARD RILEY said:

Thanks for the prompt reply guys but I found the information on the I-864A Part 6 section E which states:

I understand that, if I am related to the sponsored immigrant or the sponsor by marriage, the termination of the marriage (by divorce, dissolution, annulment, or other legal process) will not relieve me of my obligations under this Form I-864A.

That's why everyone is saying withdraw the I-864A immediately before it goes into effect. It only goes into effect when the immigrant touches down in the US.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Is it when the immigrant lands, or when the visa is approved? I’d get it withdrawn asap before the interview.

When immigrant lands because they won't be immigrants (LPR) if they haven't been admitted yet in the US, and hence no need for AOS to take effect.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-of-support

"The individual who signs the affidavit of support becomes the sponsor once the intending immigrant becomes a lawful permanent resident"

Edited by nastra30

Timeline
11 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

When immigrant lands because they won't be immigrants (LPR) if they haven't been admitted yet in the US, and hence no need for AOS to take effect.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-of-support

"The individual who signs the affidavit of support becomes the sponsor once the intending immigrant becomes a lawful permanent resident"

https://www.justice.gov/eoir/page/file/1323686/download

"The support obligations agreed to when Form I–864, Form I–864EZ, and Form I– 864A are executed generally commence when the intending immigrant is granted lawful permanent resident status."

1 hour ago, nastra30 said:

Seems circular if the i864 is required for the visa to be approved. If he withdraws it after she gets the visa but before she lands then how is that rational, seems like a great big loophole people could use to get relatives visas then get out of being responsible for anything.

4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If he withdraws it after she gets the visa but before she lands then how is that rational, seems like a great big loophole people could use to get relatives visas then get out of being responsible for anything.

The consulate has authority to revoke the issued visa if the sponsor withdraws the affidavit of support prior to the visa holder's US entry.  But if the visa holder enters the US before the consulate issues the revocation, then too late for the sponsor since the visa holder will be an LPR and the I-864A will be in effect by then.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Seems circular if the i864 is required for the visa to be approved. If he withdraws it after she gets the visa but before she lands then how is that rational, seems like a great big loophole people could use to get relatives visas then get out of being responsible for anything.

In this scenario wouldn't CBP be able to deny entry based on public charge rule?

Edited by nastra30

23 minutes ago, Chancy said:

The consulate has authority to revoke the issued visa if the sponsor withdraws the affidavit of support prior to the visa holder's US entry.  But if the visa holder enters the US before the consulate issues the revocation, then too late for the sponsor since the visa holder will be an LPR and the I-864A will be in effect by then.

So all in all it is much SAFER to get the revocation in before the interview, where there is no doubt and no risk of someone not being fast enough at the consulate. After all someone can get their visa and go directly to the airport if they want. 

20 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

In this scenario wouldn't CBP be able to deny entry based on public charge rule?

How would they know?  More importantly, I don’t believe CBP has the authority to make its own determination on public charge. The consulate needs to have withdrawn the visa. If they had time to. If FIL knows there’s a risk of that happening he’ll probably fly asap after getting his visa. Such a risky route for OP to take any chance by delaying withdrawing it.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.