WaitingHayete

Adding derivative family members to CEAC website 2022

32 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, WaitingHayete said:

No, my husband was older when they got married. So again to clarify, if my MIL had a minor child , she could not bring them with her as a derivative family member because she is an immediate relative of my husband but if she was a sister of my spouse then she could? 

Yes. Of course, the effect of annual quotas mean that the sister of your spouse could be waiting 15 years or longer, by which time the minor child might no longer be minor and therefore actually not be allowed to be a derivative after all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, WaitingHayete said:

No, my husband was older when they got married. So again to clarify, if my MIL had a minor child , she could not bring them with her as a derivative family member because she is an immediate relative of my husband but if she was a sister of my spouse then she could? 

Little bit more complicated, petitioning for a Sister now it is most unlikely the child of the Sister would qualify, the child has to be under 21 CSPA adjusted

Say the sister was sponsored now and then say the sister had a child in 15 years then the child could probably come.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, WaitingHayete said:

if my MIL had a minor child , she could not bring them with her as a derivative family member because she is an immediate relative of my husband but if she was a sister of my spouse then she could?

If she was a sister of your husband, she could bring her child using the same petition, but she would need to wait at least 15 years from petition filing to do so.  Is that really more preferable to filing a new petition and having to wait just 2 years or so to get a visa for an immediate relative of a USC?  In some countries, it could take more than 20 years to be able to get a US visa as a sibling of a USC.

Timeline

It will be a lot longer than that.

I did come across a calculation recently based on the current numbers waiting

Assumed every beneficiary had 1 1/2 derivatives.

38 years on average.

Now it did not seem to take into account those who may die or change their minds. I could not find out if 1 1/2 derivatives is normal, I could see it trending higher.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It will be a lot longer than that.

I did come across a calculation recently based on the current numbers waiting

Assumed every beneficiary had 1 1/2 derivatives.

38 years on average.

Now it did not seem to take into account those who may die or change their minds. I could not find out if 1 1/2 derivatives is normal, I could see it trending higher.

I suspect that calculation was a straight calculation of waiting list x 1.5 /annual quotas? . It sounds like they may not have accounted for the fact that listed derivatives on the Petition are already in the numbers. You need to take the country limit quotas into account as well. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

I suspect that calculation was a straight calculation of waiting list/annual quotas. It sounds like they may not have accounted for the fact that listed derivatives on the Petition are already in the numbers. You need to take the country limit quotas into account as well. 

I used to say 20 year plus for non specified countries and have been edging it up.

I think you are correct in assuming that more and more countries will hit the Country limit, India, Nigeria, China etc.

With those sort of timelines anything and everything could change, so file and forget and see what happens decades in the future.

I think it was just cases, that was the impression I got, people marry and divorce, have children etc so derivatives will be an unknown number.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Correct.  This question come up often.

Probably because the solution doesn’t make sense (my opinion). Whether you wait 15 years for a visa or 10 months it is unthinkable for some people to come to the US without their spouse or minor child. We’ll take what we can get though because we have no choice. 

I sincerely thank all of you for your time and expertise. This community has been a vital resource for me these past 10 years.

K-1 Fiance Visa

02/16/2012 I-129F Petition sent to Dallas lockbox

02/20/2012 USPS delivery confirmation email received

02/24/2102 NOA 1 (Petition in California Service Center)

07/11/2012 RFE (email notice)

07/16/2012 RFE received in mail, requesting circumstances of meeting

07/18/2012 Mailed back RFE (overnight) with requested info

07/19/2012 Touch - "Request for evidence responce review"

07/24/2012 NOA 2

07/30/2012 NVC Received

08/03/2012 NVC Sent petition to US Embassy in Beirut

08/09/2012 US Embassy in Beirut received petition

08/14/2012 US Embassy in Beirut called fiance to tell him when to pick up interview requirements packet

08/22/2012 Picked up packet 3 (interview requirements)

08/27/2012 Medical exam

09/17/2012 INTERVIEW - Cancelled by Embassy due to security threats in MENA countries

09/25/2012 INTERVIEW Take 2 - APPROVED!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, WaitingHayete said:

Probably because the solution doesn’t make sense (my opinion). Whether you wait 15 years for a visa or 10 months it is unthinkable for some people to come to the US without their spouse or minor child. We’ll take what we can get though because we have no choice. 

I sincerely thank all of you for your time and expertise. This community has been a vital resource for me these past 10 years.

I think most people on this thread would agree with you, and I have no idea if the VJ experience is representative, but many do.

9 minutes ago, WaitingHayete said:

Visa priorities and properties are enshrined in law in the INA. If it is something you feel strongly about, then you can petition your congressmen and senators to change it. 

Also as a reminder - no one is forced to come to the US. Immigration is both a privilege, and a choice for those who immigrate. There are indeed people who choose to remain in their home countries rather than immigrate without particular family members, regardless of their age.  That’s an individual choice based on one’s own priorities.

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I used to say 20 year plus for non specified countries and have been edging it up.

I think you are correct in assuming that more and more countries will hit the Country limit, India, Nigeria, China etc.

With those sort of timelines anything and everything could change, so file and forget and see what happens decades in the future.

I think it was just cases, that was the impression I got, people marry and divorce, have children etc so derivatives will be an unknown number.

Interesting to know how they got the cases number, afaik that isn’t published separately. Again I suspect that was a calculation error. The published waiting list includes derivatives.  And yes people marry and divorce and children get born and children age out and petitioners die and beneficiaries die, and I think mostly it’s all a wash for the existing waitlist. The issue comes as the waitlist grows every year as more petitions are added.

The country limits are currently being hit by India (to a smaller extent) and Mexico and Philippines (to a greater extent). Not China for quite a long time now, as i suspect the effects of the one child policy on limiting potential immigrants is playing out. I should think it would be an exceptionally long time before Nigeria hits it, given how many other high immigration countries have not hit quota, 7% of all immigrants is a big target after all.

Timeline

I have not looked at the numbers in any detail, I was just thinking of Countries with large numbers of immigration and China excepted large family sizes. My assumption is that mainly new citizens are filing the new petitions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
8 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Visa priorities and properties are enshrined in law in the INA. If it is something you feel strongly about, then you can petition your congressmen and senators to change it. 

Also as a reminder - no one is forced to come to the US. Immigration is both a privilege, and a choice for those who immigrate. There are indeed people who choose to remain in their home countries rather than immigrate without particular family members, regardless of their age.  That’s an individual choice based on one’s own priorities.

Your answer is condescending and ignorant of the real world and the severe hardships others go though. Living in the USA is not a privilege, it is the luck of where you were born. A person born into severe poverty and governmental corruption deserves their basic human rights and comforts as much as someone born into privilege in the USA. God created the earth, people drew the lines. Thanks, however, for the reminder. 

K-1 Fiance Visa

02/16/2012 I-129F Petition sent to Dallas lockbox

02/20/2012 USPS delivery confirmation email received

02/24/2102 NOA 1 (Petition in California Service Center)

07/11/2012 RFE (email notice)

07/16/2012 RFE received in mail, requesting circumstances of meeting

07/18/2012 Mailed back RFE (overnight) with requested info

07/19/2012 Touch - "Request for evidence responce review"

07/24/2012 NOA 2

07/30/2012 NVC Received

08/03/2012 NVC Sent petition to US Embassy in Beirut

08/09/2012 US Embassy in Beirut received petition

08/14/2012 US Embassy in Beirut called fiance to tell him when to pick up interview requirements packet

08/22/2012 Picked up packet 3 (interview requirements)

08/27/2012 Medical exam

09/17/2012 INTERVIEW - Cancelled by Embassy due to security threats in MENA countries

09/25/2012 INTERVIEW Take 2 - APPROVED!

Timeline

These are Family Reunification Categories nothing more nothing less

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.