TastyCake

N400 online submission questions

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are currently working our way through filing an N400 online for my wife.  We can't submit for another couple of weeks (October 17 appears to be the very first day per the USCIS website) but we are planning in advance for the big day.

We have the following already prepared for our online submission which will happen in a couple of weeks:

• Green Card photocopied and scanned (front in a jpg, back in a separate jpg, both sides in one pdf... we will submit all... the jpgs looks bigger and clearer)
  • Will submit the N400 online and pay via credit card at the time of submission
  • My birth certificate (scanned in pdf) showing I have been a U.S. citizen for forever
  • Current marriage certificate (scanned in pdf)
  • Divorce decrees for both me and her for our two prior marriages (scanned in pdf)
  • IRS tax transcripts with both our names on them for 2021, 2020 and 2019 (scanned in pdf)

I went through the checklist and it seems (operative word) this is all we need.  Questions if you don't mind:

1) Does anyone see anything missing?  Anything to add?  We want to make sure we don't miss anything crucial

2) Did people also scan and submit the extension letter, too?  Or just the green card (front and back)?  Our I751 is currently still pending

3) I saw one item on the checklist that seems to be for people residing outside of the United States (we live in Massachusetts).  They ask for two identical photos with the A number on back.  So, for those of us who live stateside and are filing online, this is not necessary at the time of online submission, correct?  Perhaps we will be asked to bring two identical photos (with A number on the back) when we get the eventual citizenship interview?

4) We have an I751 pending (we will have been waiting for a year later this month).  It is stuck up at the Vermont Service Center.  Is this a question during the online submission so they know there is an I751 pending for us?  Or will they just know this?  I am not sure how this would need to be communicated to the USCIS as we hope to get a combo interview at some point

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  We appreciate the support.  🙂

Edited by TastyCake

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

It looks good to me, I’m actually following this because I will be submitting soon too.

1) The only thing I’m thinking of is if she has kids from previous marriages and paying child support you’ll have to submit those too.

2) Not needed. 
3) correct.

4) @Crazy Cat can tell you how they handled this for his wife. I believe they wrote a simple note requesting a combo interview as advised by @Family if my memory serves me well.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

1 hour ago, Rocio0010 said:

It looks good to me, I’m actually following this because I will be submitting soon too.

1) The only thing I’m thinking of is if she has kids from previous marriages and paying child support you’ll have to submit those too.

2) Not needed. 
3) correct.

4) @Crazy Cat can tell you how they handled this for his wife. I believe they wrote a simple note requesting a combo interview as advised by @Family if my memory serves me well.

A note ( #4) is not required, “ they know “ . I am a big fan of making first impressions at filing , and was hoping @Crazy Cat ‘s superb writing skills and sense of humor would inspire each human “ touching “ working on the file . 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Family said:

A note ( #4) is not required, “ they know “ . I am a big fan of making first impressions at filing , and was hoping @Crazy Cat ‘s superb writing skills and sense of humor would inspire each human “ touching “ working on the file . 

Yep, I’m a huge fan too. Hopefully by the time I submit my N400 somebody will have already approved my full-of-relevant, very well put 6 lb 751 package and approve it prior to the N400. But I doubt it.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

2 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Yep, I’m a huge fan too. Hopefully by the time I submit my N400 somebody will have already approved my full-of-relevant, very well put 6 lb 751 package and approve it prior to the N400. But I doubt it.

Hmmm…they may need to appoint a Special Master to go through that Baby ! 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Family said:

I was just being generous and wanting to provide them with extra paper to collect dust on.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

4 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:
5 minutes ago, Family said:

I was just being generous and wanting to provide them with extra paper to collect dust on

Pixie Electronic Dust perhaps..all paper filings get shredded…

https://www.gurfinkel.com/uscis-says-dont-submit-original-documents/

record-keeping system to an electronic-based format. Even if a person files an application or petition on paper, it will be scanned by USCIS, and it is likely USCIS will shred your paper-based petition or application

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Family said:

Pixie Electronic Dust perhaps..all paper filings get shredded…

https://www.gurfinkel.com/uscis-says-dont-submit-original-documents/

record-keeping system to an electronic-based format. Even if a person files an application or petition on paper, it will be scanned by USCIS, and it is likely USCIS will shred your paper-based petition or application

That’s interesting. I would love to see the backstage of processing centers! I have actually never been to a USCIS office before !

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

2) Not needed. 
3) correct.

Thanks to you and Family for your feedback.  I can always write a short letter, make it a pdf and include it in the online submission.  Maybe there is an 'ancillary documents' area where I can include it just so they can't say later, '...but you didn't tell us about your pending I751!!!'.  I am inclined to think Family is right that 'they know'.  I hope my Irish ancestry furnishes some good luck and it will be a combo interview. 🙂 

Timeline
1 minute ago, TastyCake said:

I hope my Irish ancestry furnishes some good luck and it will be a combo interview. 🙂 

Include some four- leaf clovers 🍀🍀🍀

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

16 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

hope my Irish ancestry furnishes some good luck and it will be a combo interview. 🙂 

That’s the spirit. Put a smile on the Officer’s face….

It is exactly the grass root movement of everyone filing their N-400 while I-751 pending that has forced USCIS to deal with the backlog! So great choice , God Speed 

PS the class action lawsuit for delayed N-400 may have helped too..lol

Edited by Family

Great thread, I'm a couple months out from filing the N-400 also! @Crazy Cat what did you say in your letter to request your combo interview briefly?

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We didn't include a letter requesting a combo interview, but we can add one if it's a good idea. We didn't even think of it at the time. 

We did include a copy of the extension letter, although it's probably not necessary. We thought that, since they wanted a copy of the green card the extension letter is now a part of it. We uploaded it to the "additional" section

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

We didn't include a letter requesting a combo interview, but we can add one if it's a good idea. We didn't even think of it at the time. 

We did include a copy of the extension letter, although it's probably not necessary. We thought that, since they wanted a copy of the green card the extension letter is now a part of it. We uploaded it to the "additional" section

Actually a copy of extension letter (in addition to copy of green card) I think is fine so that at least they'll have proof that you've already filed to remove conditions. My spouse too did not include a letter requesting combo interview but I think it's a good idea. However, my spouse only did N400 interview and got a combo approval of both N400 and I-751 at the same time during the interview. Nothing was asked about the I-751.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

A couple of things.  We did not request a combo interview, but did in fact have one.  You can add a letter, but in the end it is all up to the USCIS getting the ROC package to the local office, and the IO assigned the N400 actually reviewing it.

As to filing online, you can include all the information that is requested to be brought to the interview, but you will or should still bring it to the interview as well.

Lastly, when filing online, do not submit it as soon as the window opens.  Most here will recommend waiting a day or two to avoid any IT anomalies that may date the submission early.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.