16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I filed for naturalization under the 5 year rule, In August. Today I got an update that my interview is scheduled. Question, other than the list of items that the letter ask me to take to the interview, is there anything else you recommend taking, will they ask for any particular evidence? I am so nervous and do not know what to expect or how to study for the civic test Thank you. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Alision_J36 said:

Hi everyone! I filed for naturalization under the 5 year rule, In August. Today I got an update that my interview is scheduled. Question, other than the list of items that the letter ask me to take to the interview, is there anything else you recommend taking, will they ask for any particular evidence? I am so nervous and do not know what to expect or how to study for the civic test Thank you. 

2 passport photos. Reason: they might ask for those if their biometric system is inoperative.  Happened to me.  

If not you will need those photos for your U.S.  passport and passport card 

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Alision_J36 said:

I am so nervous and do not know what to expect or how to study for the civic test

It's a total pool of 100 questions and the list is available online.  The examiner will pick 10 from the pool, and you have to get six of them right.

My wife had a CD that had the questions and answers, one after another.  She listened to it (over and over again...smile) when she had spare time.  You don't need a CD...you can sit there and read the questions and answers into an audio file (.wav, .mp3, etc.) and play it back on whatever you use to listen to music.  There may even be online files that have someone already reading it all out and you just have to download one.  "Over and over again" was the key for her.

I also got her the flash cards.  But she didn't use them that much, and she tells me the CD audio is what got her to pass.

If you're someone who learns better by reading, print out the questions and answers and carry them with you.  Take them out and read them when you have time.  (You can also store the website or a document on your smartphone.)

Do not spend a lot of money on "aids" to learn with.  It's not needed.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Edited by Vickys_Mom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Vickys_Mom said:

It's a total pool of 100 questions and the list is available online.  The examiner will pick 10 from the pool, and you have to get six of them right.

My wife had a CD that had the questions and answers, one after another.  She listened to it (over and over again...smile) when she had spare time.  You don't need a CD...you can sit there and read the questions and answers into an audio file (.wav, .mp3, etc.) and play it back on whatever you use to listen to music.  There may even be online files that have someone already reading it all out and you just have to download one.  "Over and over again" was the key for her.

I also got her the flash cards.  But she didn't use them that much, and she tells me the CD audio is what got her to pass.

If you're someone who learns better by reading, print out the questions and answers and carry them with you.  Take them out and read them when you have time.  (You can also store the website or a document on your smartphone.)

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

I wrote out all the questions using the USCIS pdf .. and one answer .. sometimes  there are several .. and every day for 3 weeks I would read the question and answer  out loud as one sentence The more senses involved in the learning process the better it sticks. So i was reading speaking and hearing it all at once. That way , when the IO asked” There are 13 original states of the union, name 3” I was already finishing the “sentence” in my head and automatically said “New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York”. Plus, if there was more than 1 correct answer, I only learned the easiest !! Didnt need to prove myself more than that ! 

It depends on your education/memory. Many of the questions are common sense questions that apply in every democracy. The geography part is also very basic. World events are pretty known. The names are also known. 

Maybe highlight the preferred answer and read them daily.  Pick the same answer for as many many questions as you can.

11 hours ago, Vickys_Mom said:

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Thank you :) I'm both an audio a visual learner. I am just scared lol

10 hours ago, Lil bear said:

I wrote out all the questions using the USCIS pdf .. and one answer .. sometimes  there are several .. and every day for 3 weeks I would read the question and answer  out loud as one sentence The more senses involved in the learning process the better it sticks. So i was reading speaking and hearing it all at once. That way , when the IO asked” There are 13 original states of the union, name 3” I was already finishing the “sentence” in my head and automatically said “New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York”. Plus, if there was more than 1 correct answer, I only learned the easiest !! Didnt need to prove myself more than that ! 

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
10 hours ago, Beteag said:

It depends on your education/memory. Many of the questions are common sense questions that apply in every democracy. The geography part is also very basic. World events are pretty known. The names are also known. 

Maybe highlight the preferred answer and read them daily.  Pick the same answer for as many many questions as you can.

I actually disagree about answers applying to “every democracy” or names/events  being pretty known. Not one of the government questions could could have been answered correctly if I had used the Australian system as the basis. It is appropriately US centric and US specific and in some places highlights differences with other countries rather than similarities. 

That said , it is not a difficult test for most people .. but there are some who will struggle for many reasons outside their control. Sounds like OP has a plan that will bring success. 

1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

I actually disagree about answers applying to “every democracy” or names/events  being pretty known. Not one of the government questions could could have been answered correctly if I had used the Australian system as the basis. It is appropriately US centric and US specific and in some places highlights differences with other countries rather than similarities. 

That said , it is not a difficult test for most people .. but there are some who will struggle for many reasons outside their control. Sounds like OP has a plan that will bring success. 

Thanks. i agree as well. I believe will do pretty well. You know, I just get that nervous feelings hahahahaha. I was only seeking pointers for recommendation on what to use to study for the civic exam. I appreciate everyone input and shared experiences 🥰

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Lots of resources out there..plenty of videos on YouTube also, for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DxKsNYfLGo

I actually like the videos because I enjoy the class room feel to the lesson 

Good luck. You will be fine

Edited by STO Overland

Lover and hubby to 1, Daddy to 2. I do enjoy growing older but not growing up.

A filthy, dirty oilfield engineer.

N400 through marriage to another filthy dirty oilfield engineer.

5 hours ago, Lil bear said:

I don't know about Australia, but to me , many questions are common sense questions. 

7 hours ago, Alision_J36 said:

Thank you :) I'm both an audio a visual learner. I am just scared lol

Hi Alison!

First, congrats on making it to the final stage! It is natural to be scared, but not overly so. As others have noted, the questions and answers are available to you. We pick up a booklet at USCIS and Joan studied a little each night. Then I asked her questions randomly every night for a couple of weeks. She got 6 out of 6 correct on her test and was done. The only thing I would watch out for is your local and federal representatives and/or political party. It sounds like they won't change base on the timing of your interview, but Joan's interview was after an election and she had to relearn some of the names. Good luck!

Edited by Stevephoto
Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

5 hours ago, Stevephoto said:

Hi Alison!

First, congrats on making it to the final stage! It is natural to be scared, but not overly so. As others have noted, the questions and answers are available to you. We pick up a booklet at USCIS and Joan studied a little each night. Then I asked her questions randomly every night for a couple of weeks. She got 6 out of 6 correct on her test and was done. The only thing I would watch out for is your local and federal representatives and/or political party. It sounds like they won't change base on the timing of your interview, but Joan's interview was after an election and she had to relearn some of the names. Good luck!

Thank you so much. Congratulation to your wife! She did amazing! Even after the elections and elections of  different representatives. They reused my biometric so i did not get a chance to get one of those books. I live far away from the office. I will use the resources on their website, youtube and anything else. I will prepare and do my best. Will update you guys after. oh.. Questions.. do you know of many people who took their oat the same day?

1 hour ago, Alision_J36 said:

Thank you so much. Congratulation to your wife! She did amazing! Even after the elections and elections of  different representatives. They reused my biometric so i did not get a chance to get one of those books. I live far away from the office. I will use the resources on their website, youtube and anything else. I will prepare and do my best. Will update you guys after. oh.. Questions.. do you know of many people who took their oat the same day?

You are welcome Alison. I am quite sure the resources available to you are plenty. The questions will be the same no matter what the format. We happen to live very close to the local field office, so it was easy to get the booklet. The Hawaii field office is relatively small, so Joan's oath taking ceremony was small--I think 30 or fewer people. There were several ceremonies scheduled for that day. You said that you lived far from your field office. Ask if they offer oath ceremonies the same day as the interview. Some do, some don't. The Hawaii office offered same day ceremonies for people who lived on "the Outer Islands," or islands other than O'ahu. We live on O'ahu so we went back for the ceremony a few weeks later.

Back to the test: relax and just study a little at a time. It was already mentioned, but I will say it again: pay attention to the question. If it asks for ONE answer (when there are several acceptable answers) then focus on ONE answer. Don't make it harder on yourself. I highly recommend this "classic" VJ thread by @TBoneTX to ease the stress of the exam. It is hysterical (spoiler: Mrs. TBoneTX passed the test).

You will be fine!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.