ellentee415

Questioning if we made the right choice...

10 posts in this topic

Hi all! New to this forum. Decided to join because it's comforting reading everyone's journeys and being part of a community dealing with the same process. This is my first post (sorry if it's not in the right place).

My fiance and I filed our I-129F application in April 2022. As I mentioned above, I spend a lot of my time reading forums to pass the time and I've been seeing a lot of people encouraging new filers to go for the CR1 instead of the K1. A lot of them make strong arguments as to why the CR1 visa is potentially superior to the K1. From my understanding, the K1 had more appeal (prior to 2020) because of how quickly it was approved, hence the additional costs with the AOS was somewhat worth it. But now that the CR1s and K1s are being processed at roughly the same timeframe, it's starting to plant a seed of doubt as to whether we made the right decision to file for the K1. 

Of course, I'm not asking if I should withdraw my application. I mean, we are 5 months in... it would be silly to do so now. I guess I'm just looking for some words of advice/encouragement/wisdom/comradery from you all that are/were on this journey :)

47 minutes ago, ellentee415 said:

Hi all! New to this forum. Decided to join because it's comforting reading everyone's journeys and being part of a community dealing with the same process. This is my first post (sorry if it's not in the right place).

My fiance and I filed our I-129F application in April 2022. As I mentioned above, I spend a lot of my time reading forums to pass the time and I've been seeing a lot of people encouraging new filers to go for the CR1 instead of the K1. A lot of them make strong arguments as to why the CR1 visa is potentially superior to the K1. From my understanding, the K1 had more appeal (prior to 2020) because of how quickly it was approved, hence the additional costs with the AOS was somewhat worth it. But now that the CR1s and K1s are being processed at roughly the same timeframe, it's starting to plant a seed of doubt as to whether we made the right decision to file for the K1. 

Of course, I'm not asking if I should withdraw my application. I mean, we are 5 months in... it would be silly to do so now. I guess I'm just looking for some words of advice/encouragement/wisdom/comradery from you all that are/were on this journey :)

Welcome to the community! Hope you enjoy the time!.

Edited by NikoTaino

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It slowed down before covid hit and then hit the  word stop

but for an example i filed a K1 July 1st 2009

interview was November (23 i think) 2009 in less than 5 months

but in 2010 it was taking 10 or more months for many because the # of petitions hit a high

u need to know that a lot depends on the embassy (like if the country is a high fraud country)

the number of petitions going to the embassy (like Mexico and India have a huge majority and France just a few )

and u need to know the red flag issues to have any idea of the pitfalls of this process

Check them on the following site

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/red-flags-that-make-uscis-suspect-marriage-fraud.html

also high fraud countries often go thru long AP (for extra security checks after the interview and this is for either visa)

i finally went the CR1 route after a K1 denial and i am so glad we did it

it is far superior

many embassies like to see quality time spent together for either visa

Timeline

Cruel?

mine took 6 years from 1st petition to actual visa issued

i don't think anyone was cruel when i asked on here/ they were honest about the pitfalls we would go thru with a big age difference

it may be hard to hear but not cruel if it is meant to inform or guide 

its not cruel to say "this is what the V J community has seen in the past and what u may go thru"

immigration has a set of requirements we must meet for every type of visa and that's what each USCIS office goes by

Long distance relationships are hard

getting together is expensive

immigration is stressful and often a heartbreaking ordeal when we should be celebrating an engagement or newly married

BUT this was our choice and no one else's 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The cruelest thing that can happen, would be to tell the OP that it's all rainbows and flowers.

Telling someone the honest truth, although it may seem cruel, is the kindest thing we can do for our fellow journey goers.

I would have gone truly nutty if it were not for the people in this forum.

Edited by PeachesMagee
spelling :/

What I miss most about Canada, in no particular order:

My family!

My friends!

KD!

Hawkins Cheezies!

Poutine!

Lays Ketchup Chips!

What I don't miss:

-40 degree weather

Timeline
20 minutes ago, PeachesMagee said:

The cruelest thing that can happen, would be to tell the OP that it's all rainbows and flowers.

Telling someone the honest truth, although it may seem cruel, is the kindest thing we can do for our fellow journey goers.

me too

i wanted to cry every day i waited

1 hour ago, PeachesMagee said:

I personally appreciate the nitty gritty truth. I don't need to live a fantasy lol. 

Waiting SUCKS but when my partner and I decided that we enjoyed speaking to each other enough that we wanted to see how things went despite the distance, we both knew that it would be a long, exhausting journey that would test our commitment to one another. And to be honest, as much as I hate being apart, this journey has shown me how much I truly want to spend the rest of our lives together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.