magentahaze

Is there a time frame to update citizenship? (SS, DL, apply for passport)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just curious - is there a certain time frame to go and update status - SS, DL and apply for a passport. It's been just over a month since I had my oath ceremony (6/23) and I still have to take care of those few things.

I've had a lot of things come up that haven't allowed me to take the time off and do them.

usually general rule of thumb, when u have ur naturalization certificate on hand, u should do it asap. ( SS, DL) 

passport take a while to get, guess i will started soon just in case you need it in the future

i know many american never have a passport because they never travel 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

SS- update whenever you get a chance to go to the SSA office - today, next month or 5 years later. Probably before you renew your DL.

DL-  During renewal or replacement after you update on SS, it will be auto reflected.

Passport - only when you want it or need it.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
19 minutes ago, magentahaze said:

Just curious - is there a certain time frame to go and update status - SS, DL and apply for a passport. It's been just over a month since I had my oath ceremony (6/23) and I still have to take care of those few things.

I've had a lot of things come up that haven't allowed me to take the time off and do them.

Technically there is no timeframe. All of these are need/time based. For eg. if you just renewed your DL - you can continue on it until expiry unless you need an enhanced DL (if you live in border states).  SS updates are generally automatic and unless you plan to consume benefits, it's really not an urgent priority. Passport is strictly a travel and "another" ID need where you need to prove that you are a citizen. 

Having said that - it's better to get these updated sooner rather than later. Too many stories float around of people running into issues at the last moment because they forgot. TL; Dr - Makes sense to do these things at your own pace. Doesnt have to be right after your Nat ceremony unless needs dictate it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Based on my experience, I disagree with all answers so far. 

1. file for your passport and passport card immediately. You should have lined up an appointment with the post office or other passport agent for day of or after your oath appointment. I had my appointment at the post office lined up for the next day.  

2. 10 business  days later apply for a new SS card using your passport card, passport, or naturalization  certificate (which ever comes back first).   If you apply too soon (and you might  be advised as such during oath) SSA might  reject or delay your application.  If the SSA office requires you to mail in your evidence of US citizenship then mail in the passport card.  I got my passport back in 2 weeks and used that for a walk in application.

3. because I have global entry, once I had my passport I updated my record  

4. Once I had the new SS card, I updated my status with my employer  as this expanded my opportunities as aliens are forbidden to perform certain work.  

5.    Update  DL when it expires using your passport card assuming you actually care about REAL ID. I didn’t (since I carry my passport card at all times) and still don’t and didn’t bother.  But 6 months later the DMV emailed me a free offer to get REAL ID so nearly 4 years after  oath I took my passport card to the DMV and upgraded my DL.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

DL is important 

BUT  insurance premiums are based on many issues -one being your US driving record -which u do not have when entering

So,  now years later ,  u are a citizen and insurance company would review the Driving record and hopefully offer a smaller premium

of course there are other factors like age and gender but its worth asking your insurance carrier if this makes  a difference 

it did for us when Adil became a citizen

SS  as a citizen makes u eligible for certain jobs not allowed as LPR

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I was in the same boat and everything I had were still valid. There really is no time constraint in updating your status.

Most important is going to be your passport. This will give you a backup proof that you are now a US citizen, in case you misplace your NC.

First thing that is not resource intensive on your end is to schedule the appointment with USPS to get your US passport. Submit your application, your photos (some USPS has the option to take your photo as well), and your Certificate of Naturalization (original). Set and forget, until you get the certificate and your passport back.

Next is your driver's license or social security.

If your driver's license is still valid, I would leave that alone until you need to renew.

For social security, fill out the application and put in a piece of paper that you just need to update your citizenship. Depending on your local office, they may ask you to come in or mail in your passport and other proof along with the application. You should call your local office and find out what the process is. 

Unless you need to claim social security benefits immediately, there is no pressing time on when you should update this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.