16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good Evening.  I am a American citizen filling for my husband from Jamaica. We are having a tough time finding a joint sponsor. Two have accepted and later on turned us down.  We are trying to figure out what we are doing wrong. Where is everyone finding a sponsor at? 

18 minutes ago, GrantFam said:

Good Evening.  I am a American citizen filling for my husband from Jamaica. We are having a tough time finding a joint sponsor. Two have accepted and later on turned us down.  We are trying to figure out what we are doing wrong. Where is everyone finding a sponsor at? 

Who turner they down? NVC?

“Where is everyone finding a sponsor at?”

I really don’t know if I get your question right but is not like a Facebook Marketplace for sponsors. I think that people look first in the closest family members and friends.

Will be helpful if you explain better what the problem is for us to better help you.

Good luck 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
32 minutes ago, GrantFam said:

Can't speak from experience, but probably friends or family. I personally would not co sponsor anybody I don't know well.Hell even if I know them well... It is a risk.

It can have very dire financial consequences of sponsoring ppl you don't know.... Even if you know them there is no guarantee that we won't have a second pandemic, recession, you name it or the immigrant won't be able to find  continuous employment and work for 10 years (40 quarters) so the I-864 would still be binding and you are on the hook forever and for any benefits they might get....

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Timeline
13 minutes ago, PaulaCJohnny said:

Who turner they down? NVC?

“Where is everyone finding a sponsor at?”

I really don’t know if I get your question right but is not like a Facebook Marketplace for sponsors. I think that people look first in the closest family members and friends.

Will be helpful if you explain better what the problem is for us to better help you.

Good luck 

Thanks for answering. I meant we had two people agreed to co sponsor and soon as we.would start paperwork they came with excuses. 

We will just continue to pray and look

Timeline
19 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Can't speak from experience, but probably friends or family. I personally would not co sponsor anybody I don't know well.Hell even if I know them well... It is a risk.

It can have very dire financial consequences of sponsoring ppl you don't know.... Even if you know them there is no guarantee that we won't have a second pandemic, recession, you name it or the immigrant won't be able to find  continuous employment and work for 10 years (40 quarters) so the I-864 would still be binding and you are on the hook forever and for any benefits they might get....

Ok I see and I understand.  Thank you

18 minutes ago, GrantFam said:

Thanks for answering. I meant we had two people agreed to co sponsor and soon as we.would start paperwork they came with excuses. 

We will just continue to pray and look

Yes. This is an issue with the people that you choose it. 

Unfortunately you will need to find a trustable person that understand the commitment that is to sponsor an immigration.

Is a really serious one and the majority of people are not ready for it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most people do not use joint sponsors, the requirements are very low.

Local Supermarket starts at $18 an hour, so 36k a year, you can sponsor a lot of people with that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The I-864 is a daunting contract with real obligations.  I, and most people, would not consider signing that contract unless they were VERY sure you and your husband can and will support yourselves.

Most people don't look for joint sponsors.  They qualify on their own to sponsor.  Maybe first look at how you might make adjustments to qualify on your own.  Ultimately, you may not qualify OR find a joint sponsor.  This is a serious matter hindsight will tell you should have been considered prior to the marriage.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

23 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

I personally would not co sponsor anybody I don't know well.Hell even if I know them well... It is a risk.

Same.  I would only sponsor a child, parent or spouse.

23 hours ago, GrantFam said:

You are bringing over your alien spouse, you are the primary sponsor.  It's part of adulting, just like paying your taxes, rent, providing for your children, etc.

You will have a much better chance for the visa if you improve your overall financial situation such that you can afford to bring over an immigrant.  Some people have done this by getting a better job, a second (or third) job, seeking education/skills, or simply waiting until they can afford it.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You are bringing over your alien spouse, you are the primary sponsor.  It's part of adulting, just like paying your taxes, rent, providing for your children, etc.

You will have a much better chance for the visa if you improve your overall financial situation such that you can afford to bring over an immigrant.  Some people have done this by getting a better job, a second (or third) job, seeking education/skills, or simply waiting until they can afford it.

Thanks. I understand I left out some info. If it was just me and him it will be no problem at all.    It will be 5 in the household altogether so the best thing is to find a better job and try again.  

2 minutes ago, GrantFam said:

Thanks. I understand I left out some info. If it was just me and him it will be no problem at all.    It will be 5 in the household altogether so the best thing is to find a better job and try again.  

Sounds like a plan.  Good luck.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
19 hours ago, GrantFam said:

If that means you have three dependent children, 5 is correct.  If you are counting other people who live in the house that are NOT....YOUR..."dependents" then may not 5.  If they ARE your children, do you receive court ordered child support?  It can be added to your employment income to qualify.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
On 7/20/2022 at 6:39 PM, pushbrk said:

If that means you have three dependent children, 5 is correct.  If you are counting other people who live in the house that are NOT....YOUR..."dependents" then may not 5.  If they ARE your children, do you receive court ordered child support?  It can be added to your employment income to qualify.

Yes 3 children are the dependents and no I receive no child support 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.