SBPWAD

Do Wee Need To Keep Old Documents After ROC Is Complete?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We have completed the process for removal of conditions and have the green card in hand, but we also have huge stacks of papers from the K1 visa application up to the ROC. Is there any reason why we would possibly need any of this paperwork, or is it safe to go ahead and shred everything from all of the previous processes we have completed?

6 hours ago, SBPWAD said:

We have completed the process for removal of conditions and have the green card in hand, but we also have huge stacks of papers from the K1 visa application up to the ROC. Is there any reason why we would possibly need any of this paperwork, or is it safe to go ahead and shred everything from all of the previous processes we have completed?

If you are able to get your hands on a rapid / stack scanner, it would be a good idea to keep electronic images just in case. Takes about 1-3 hours of work. I did it for my files. You never know when you need something from the past be it for immigration or something else. 

I am not 100% sure but all this might be in your USCIS foia/ alien file as well. 

~~ Topic moved from ROC forum to General Immigration discussion as the question is general rather than specific to ROC process ~~

Are you not planning to naturalize? 

Even if you’re not, I don’t think I would ever shred all this paperwork. You never know when you might need it. 

9 hours ago, Mobius1 said:

If you are able to get your hands on a rapid / stack scanner, it would be a good idea to keep electronic images just in case. Takes about 1-3 hours of work. I did it for my files. You never know when you need something from the past be it for immigration or something else. 

I am not 100% sure but all this might be in your USCIS foia/ alien file as well. 

2 hours ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved from ROC forum to General Immigration discussion as the question is general rather than specific to ROC process ~~

Are you not planning to naturalize? 

Even if you’re not, I don’t think I would ever shred all this paperwork. You never know when you might need it. 

I get the general idea, but I also notice that neither of you has given an actual example of how copies of old applications, etc. could even remotely be useful in the future.

We are planning on naturalizing, but what would we need old copies of, for example, a K1 application for this?

I guess to clarify one thing: I plan to keep all notices that have been sent *to us*. I'm just struggling to come up with any concrete uses for everything else.

I’m sorry but nobody here can predict if your case encounters any issues down the line that might require some digging in any old documents you have submitted. In my opinion, immigration can be unpredictable. I also do not know what kind of documents you have, if you have a lot of ‘fluff’ that people submit such as endless pages of chats, then I would purge those. If that answer does not satisfy you, then by all means you can do what makes you comfortable, i.e. shredding everything.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Other than typical joint accounts or ID/lease stuffs since becoming an LPR, nothing else is required, that too if filing under 3 yrs rule naturalization down the road.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

1 hour ago, SBPWAD said:

I get the general idea, but I also notice that neither of you has given an actual example of how copies of old applications, etc. could even remotely be useful in the future.

We are planning on naturalizing, but what would we need old copies of, for example, a K1 application for this?

I guess to clarify one thing: I plan to keep all notices that have been sent *to us*. I'm just struggling to come up with any concrete uses for everything else.

What gets me is why you want to get rid of this stack so bad. I realize everyone associates bad memories to these documents when dealing with USCIS, however, it’s really not that big of a deal to store it somewhere until your citizenship is COMPLETE. 

But you do what you must.

2 minutes ago, Mobius1 said:

What gets me is why you want to get rid of this stack so bad. I realize everyone associates bad memories to these documents when dealing with USCIS, however, it’s really not that big of a deal to store it somewhere until your citizenship is COMPLETE. 

But you do what you must.

Why throw them out after citizenship is obtained?

Why throw anything away ever?

I don't want to get rid of them "so bad." I just want to know if there are any possible future uses for them. 

8 minutes ago, SBPWAD said:

Why throw them out after citizenship is obtained?

Why throw anything away ever?

I don't want to get rid of them "so bad." I just want to know if there are any possible future uses for them. 

Then don’t, which is what I told you in the first post. You are looking for something unknown and unique to your situation that may come up later requiring them. No one can truly tell you for what you may need it besides n400 filing crosscheck and later on RFE/ questioning by USCIS.

1 minute ago, Mobius1 said:

Then don’t, which is what I told you in the first post. You are looking for something unknown and unique to your situation that may come up later requiring them. No one can truly tell you for what you may need it besides n400 filing crosscheck and later on RFE/ questioning by USCIS.

My situation is irrelevant. I'm not asking if there is any chance that some bizarre, unheard of possibility could arise. I'm asking if there are known requirements for having the documents in future processes. 

14 minutes ago, SBPWAD said:

My situation is irrelevant. I'm not asking if there is any chance that some bizarre, unheard of possibility could arise. I'm asking if there are known requirements for having the documents in future processes. 

18 hours ago, SBPWAD said:

Asking about requirements vs “any reason” as you stated in your first post are different things. We gave you possible reasons. Regarding requirements, no, there is no policy as far as I know from USCIS or DHS in general that dictates what you should do with your immigration paperwork. I imagine they don’t have time as the matter isn’t a priority for them. Tagging @Mike E in case he knows of any requirements like that 

17 minutes ago, SBPWAD said:

n400 filing crosscheck and later on RFE/ questioning by USCIS. 

Its clear that you type before reading. Anyways I am done trying to assist. Bye

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
47 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Asking about requirements vs “any reason” as you stated in your first post are different things. We gave you possible reasons. Regarding requirements, no, there is no policy as far as I know from USCIS or DHS in general that dictates what you should do with your immigration paperwork. I imagine they don’t have time as the matter isn’t a priority for them. Tagging @Mike E in case he knows of any requirements like that 

I know of no legal requirement to retain these documents.  

I’ve read enough horror stories about beneficiaries and petitioners not retaining evidence and down the road an IO, CBPO, or CO alleges a problem with the original adjudication.    Such beneficiaries  are then helpless against the might of bureaucracies with billions of dollars in funding. 

I recently read a case of a citizen whose parents lost the evidence they gave DoS when they filed for refugee status (birth records,

marriage records) and they also lost their naturalization certificates.  After the  parents naturalized and failed to get the child a passport or certificate of citizenship.  USCIS refused to renew the green card, and the citizen spent  years as an adult unable to drive or work.  Only with 6 months of hammering away at the embassy, USCIS and the passport agency was a passport finally approved.  

While federal government seems to do a good job of retaining records, it can be difficult to get it to admit the records exist. 

So retaining some breadcrumbs seems wise.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, SBPWAD said:

in naturalization interview,  you can be asked for things like dates ,  things that were in the original petition and ROC package

its best to refresh memory with all former documents before going into any new interview 

And if you ever thought to apply for a parent or sibling.,   you'll need to have all the former application questions and answers to know all info.

My husband applied for a brother and since any movement is far beyond 10 years from now,  there is no way we could remember all dates and case #'s and BS that went along with his petition in 2009,  and 2010 if anyone asked 15 years from now

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

if you don't think to ever need them,  have a bonfire

Then when u go to naturalize,  come back and ask us if there is a way to pull up old records from USICS 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.