kpaz93

Additional Visit or In-Person Interview?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the K1 process and my fiancée will be having her interview at the embassy in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I have read some posts on this forum from a few years back where it was urged that the petitioner be in-person at the interview with the beneficiary or there would be a great risk of denial or a request for a secondary interview and more evidence. I was planning on visiting my fiancée one more time before the interview comes but my dilemma is that Ecuador allows a tourist to visit for 90 days visa free, but if you leave the country within those 90 days you cannot return until one calendar year from your original entry (mine would be June 20). So my question is, would it be better to just hold on until the interview comes in order to be there in person, or would an additional visit outweigh the potential consequences of me not attending the interview in person?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I would (and did) plan to be there for the interview even if (as is likely) you aren’t permitted inside the consulate 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

I was the chief advertiser of the [censored] monkeyshines in the Guayaquil consulate that happened around 2008.  The Immigrant Visa unit was horribly mismanaged at that time.  Many personnel turnovers have occurred since then.

That's interesting about the visit restrictions; in my day, one could visit multiple times if 90 days for the year wasn't exceeded.

"Face time" is probably the #1 factor in proving a bona fide relationship.  How many visits have you made, and for how long each?  Are there any "red flags" surrounding your relationship -- age difference, overstays in the U.S. by her if she visited, or anything else?  When is the interview?  I have some ideas to offer, but answers beforehand will be valuable.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
TOURIST VISA REQUIRED:

Not for stays less than 90 days in any 12-month period.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, TBoneTX said:

Welcome to the forum.

I was the chief advertiser of the [censored] monkeyshines in the Guayaquil consulate that happened around 2008.  The Immigrant Visa unit was horribly mismanaged at that time.  Many personnel turnovers have occurred since then.

That's interesting about the visit restrictions; in my day, one could visit multiple times if 90 days for the year wasn't exceeded.

"Face time" is probably the #1 factor in proving a bona fide relationship.  How many visits have you made, and for how long each?  Are there any "red flags" surrounding your relationship -- age difference, overstays in the U.S. by her if she visited, or anything else?  When is the interview?  I have some ideas to offer, but answers beforehand will be valuable.

3 visits in total, 2 while being in a relationship. First visit was two weeks, second visit was 6 months, and the third visit was 2 months (this year). Not any red flags that I can think of - we are only one year apart in age, both speak Spanish, she has never visited the US. She does have an instance where Mexico turned her back to Ecuador during a planned vacation we had in 2020 because they believed that she was going to cross the border with me, despite hotel and resort reservations bought and paid for. Interview is still TBD - we are in NOA1 now nearing its one year anniversary.  

Timeline

Oh, you should have more than enough "face time" to be granted the visa.  No red flags, and the Mexico turnback has no bearing.

General advice, then:  There's never any drawback to being on the consular premises, or within range, when the interview is to occur.  The emotional support is obvious.  If your fiancee hands your U.S. passport to the consul (or to the Foreign Service National -- a native Ecuadorian -- handling the initial document intake), it confers legitimacy to the relationship.  Even more important, it enables the consul to call the U.S. citizen into the interview to answer any questions that otherwise might result in a 221(g) being issued (for more information needed).

On the basis of your information, you could expect the interview later this year or in 2023.  Check the various timelines between NOA2 and interview.

I also recommend e-mailing the Immigrant Visa unit in Guayaquil to ask whether U.S. citizens are still allowed in the waiting area when K-1 interviews are occurring.  At the same time, ask what the general timing is between USCIS petition approval and a scheduled interview.  I think that they can probably suggest an answer to this last question, because enough time has elapsed after the easing of Covid restrictions (which skewed everything).

Another option is for the two of you to meet once more in a third country.

Edited by TBoneTX

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
3 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Oh, you should have more than enough "face time" to be granted the visa.  No red flags, and the Mexico turnback has no bearing.

General advice, then:  There's never any drawback to being on the consular premises, or within range, when the interview is to occur.  The emotional support is obvious.  If you hand your U.S. passport to the consul (or to the Foreign Service National -- a native Ecuadorian -- handling the initial document intake), it confers legitimacy to the relationship.  Even more important, it enables the consul to call the U.S. citizen into the interview to answer any questions that otherwise might result in a 221(g) being issued (for more information needed).

On the basis of your information, you could visit during 2022 and perhaps expect the interview in 2023.  Check the various timelines between NOA2 and interview.

I also recommend e-mailing the Immigrant Visa unit in Guayaquil to ask whether U.S. citizens are still allowed in the waiting area when IV interviews are occurring.  At the same time, ask what the general timing is between USCIS petition approval and a scheduled interview.  I think that they can probably suggest an answer to this last question, because enough time has elapsed after the easing of Covid restrictions (which skewed everything).

Thank you for the sage advice - I'll definitely be getting in touch with the consulate to make an informed decision. I have to say I read through your horror story with the Guayaquil consulate multiple times throughout my stay in Ecuador while I was brand new to this process, and I appreciate the insight provided even after so much time has passed since the event. Without your post I wouldn't even have considered being at the interview over visiting again - but now I know!

Timeline

The fact that you're doing your reading is great.  Become an "A" student of the entire immigration process*. :) 

The consular phase is probably not given its due, so your cautious approach is commendable.

As badly as I was hosed, my contemporary got it even worse (it still makes me sick to read and relive it):

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/180306-guayaquil-consulate-administrative-process/

*After Mrs. T-B. finally naturalized, I wrote an opus magnus:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

Please keep us closely apprised of what the consulate tells you after you write them, and stay in touch regarding the interview.  (Pssst... create a VJ timeline. :) )

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

There is the third option of getting the tourist visa.  Though the deciding factor could be if you are near enough to a consulate to make it without too much trouble.  But it’s $60 and takes 4-6 weeks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

There is the third option of getting the tourist visa.  Though the deciding factor could be if you are near enough to a consulate to make it without too much trouble.  But it’s $60 and takes 4-6 weeks.

The citizens of most countries can visit Ecuador and stay in the country for a maximum duration of 90 days within a period of three hundred and sixty-five days without any visa. But you need to apply for a Visa if you wish to extend your stay in the country.

its good u read and listen to members like TBoneTx

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
On 7/4/2022 at 6:17 AM, JeanneAdil said:

The citizens of most countries can visit Ecuador and stay in the country for a maximum duration of 90 days within a period of three hundred and sixty-five days without any visa. But you need to apply for a Visa if you wish to extend your stay in the country.

its good u read and listen to members like TBoneTx

Yea I saw that.  His dilemma was that once you visit, even without staying the full 90 days, you have to wait a year to go back visa free.  He wanted to visit separately the same year which meant he would have to choose between the planned trip or going to the interview.  I was saying getting the visa would allow for both trips.  Going visa free is great, but for multiple entries in one year, it’s more paperwork but could be worth the trouble.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post removed. Please start your own thread if you have questions about your own case.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

On 7/3/2022 at 9:23 PM, kpaz93 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the K1 process and my fiancée will be having her interview at the embassy in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I have read some posts on this forum from a few years back where it was urged that the petitioner be in-person at the interview with the beneficiary or there would be a great risk of denial or a request for a secondary interview and more evidence. I was planning on visiting my fiancée one more time before the interview comes but my dilemma is that Ecuador allows a tourist to visit for 90 days visa free, but if you leave the country within those 90 days you cannot return until one calendar year from your original entry (mine would be June 20). So my question is, would it be better to just hold on until the interview comes in order to be there in person, or would an additional visit outweigh the potential consequences of me not attending the interview in person?  

When were you DQ? and when did you get your interview letter? :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.