BarbieLove

Petitioning Parents for greencard (merged)

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a bit confused, and I hope somebody here can help me. here's my story.

My mom came to USA as work Visa 25years ago, me and my dad was with her. We came to USA legally. My mom did not finish her contract, our visa expired but we stayed and live with our relatives. 

I applied DACA when I reached 18, married a USC, become a permanent resident, and now I'm a USC.

I wanted to file for greencard for my parents. What forms do I file? 

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I 130 follow the guide

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, BarbieLove said:

My mom came to USA as work Visa 25years ago, me and my dad was with her. We came to USA legally. My mom did not finish her contract, our visa expired but we stayed and live with our relatives. 

I applied DACA when I reached 18, married a USC, become a permanent resident, and now I'm a USC.

Thank you!

As stated by Boiler follow the guide for USC petitioning parents and adjustment of status.

In summary though, you'll file I-130 concurrently with Form I-485 to adjust status. 

You may also file I-765 for EAD and I-131 for travel until greencard is received.

Overstay is forgiven for your mom.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
16 hours ago, BarbieLove said:

Thank you!

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/us-immigration-for-parents/

and

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/us-immigration-guide-for-parents/

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, Im filing concurrently (I30, I485), for my mother and father who are already here in USA. Im filing the I30 online, and will file the I485 by mail.

My question is, do I need to file two I-30's and two I485? or just one I30 and I485 for both of them?

are there other things I should file while filing concurrently?

Thank you!

5 hours ago, BarbieLove said:

Im filing the I30 online, and will file the I485 by mail.

May I ask why? You will complicate and slow down your case by doing that. USCIS may think your mother is abroad. File both forms together by mail.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
4 hours ago, OldUser said:

You will complicate and slow down your case by doing that. USCIS may think your mother is abroad

Not necessarily. Whether filing I-130 by paper or online there are questions asking whether or not beneficiary is in the US already, and will seek benefits inside the US or not. You just have to answer those questions appropriately.

Edited by nastra30

Timeline

Option1 - Some people file I-130 and i-485 concurrently through paper mailing

Option2- Some file I-130 online first, get I-130 receipt right away, and then include the receipt to I-485 application and paper mail them.

4 hours ago, nastra30 said:

Not necessarily. Whether filing I-130 by paper or online there are questions asking whether or not beneficiary is in the US already, and will seek benefits inside the US or not. You just have to answer those questions appropriately.

While this is true, USCIS often ignore what's written there. A lot of the times their assumption is: I-130 on the paper - adjusting in the US, I-130 online on its own - consular processing.

This is because when you do consular processing, you start with filing I-130 on it's own (for example K-1 fiance visa), and once the immigrant is in the US they file I-485.

I've heard this on Jim Hacking immigration show. People complain about this situation quite often.

I don't see any benefit of filing I-130 and I-485 separately at all.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
6 minutes ago, OldUser said:

While this is true, USCIS often ignore what's written there. A lot of the times their assumption is: I-130 on the paper - adjusting in the US, I-130 online on its own - consular processing.

This is because when you do consular processing, you start with filing I-130 on it's own (for example K-1 fiance visa), and once the immigrant is in the US they file I-485.

I've heard this on Jim Hacking immigration show. People complain about this situation quite often.

All, I will say is a family member did option 2. And had no issues whatsoever. Filed I-130 online and filed I-485 with I-130 receipt. 

Edited by nastra30

49 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I’ve seen a few people online here also complaining about issues from filing them separately. Chances are 98% of cases are fine and it’s the 2% who moan loudest. But I agree with you, why take a chance if you don’t need to? If you need to file something by paper may as well do both and keep everything together, just in case you do end up being one of the small percent where it goes wrong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate threads merged. Please do not start more than one thread for the same topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.