shytown

Changing address as US Citizen with Form AR-11 (Alien's Change of Address Card)?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to post this. I filed I-130 while I was living in Germany and I am now moving back to the States as a US citizen. I could not update my address on the USCIS website because it doesn't let you select a prior address in a foreign country.

I reached out to USCIS which instructed me to mail in form AR-11 to my service center. This form just doesn't seem right as it's clearly intended for an alien to fill out. Can someone confirm this is what I should be doing? Wouldn't it just be easier to pick a random state/zip code from the dropdown in the prior address section because it'll be changed to the new one anyway? 

Thank you in advance!  

I-130 (Potomac)

NOA1: 09/11/2021

NOA2: 11/21/2022

(NVC + Frankfurt Consulate)

NVC Docs Submitted: 12/03/2022

DQ: 01/30/2023

Appointment: 03/14/2023

Timeline
Just now, Misscloud said:

change ur address on myuscis account. 

I tried to, but it does not allow you to select another country. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 16.10.00.png

I-130 (Potomac)

2 minutes ago, shytown said:

I tried to, but it does not allow you to select another country. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 16.10.00.png

ok got it now, i will choose random state and zip code, or u can even put the same state and zip code with ur new one

try to call uscis again, most of the time, different agent different answer LOL perhaps the other agent can help u with this issue

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

ok got it now, i will choose random state and zip code, or u can even put the same state and zip code with ur new one

try to call uscis again, most of the time, different agent different answer LOL perhaps the other agent can help u with this issue

Haha I couldn't even reach anyone via the phone number. I'll try the chat again. But yeah, choosing a random option for the prior address doesn't feel like that big of a deal. It's the new one that they're interested in, right? Then again, who knows... :D

I-130 (Potomac)

1 minute ago, shytown said:

Haha I couldn't even reach anyone via the phone number. I'll try the chat again. But yeah, choosing a random option for the prior address doesn't feel like that big of a deal. It's the new one that they're interested in, right? Then again, who knows... :D

i might be tempted to write a letter to ur service center and attched ur copy receipt letter because of my OCD

call uscis and say "info pass"

Edited by Misscloud

AR-11 is wrong for USCs. You need to do I-865 (even if you have never completed the I-864) and mail it in. You'll get a confirmation letter for USCIS. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
37 minutes ago, milimelo said:

AR-11 is wrong for USCs. You need to do I-865 (even if you have never completed the I-864) and mail it in. You'll get a confirmation letter for USCIS. 

Thanks for the tip. Did you personally do this or how do you know? It doesn't say anywhere to use this form which is super confusing. 

Also, I forgot to mention that I am not at the NVC stage yet. Still waiting on NOA2. 

I-130 (Potomac)

15 minutes ago, shytown said:

Thanks for the tip. Did you personally do this or how do you know? It doesn't say anywhere to use this form which is super confusing. 

Also, I forgot to mention that I am not at the NVC stage yet. Still waiting on NOA2. 

Yes, I personally did it (twice) before I-130 was approved (F4 category so long wait time). No issues. I-797 letters from USCIS in both cases confirming address change. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
22 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Yes, I personally did it (twice) before I-130 was approved (F4 category so long wait time). No issues. I-797 letters from USCIS in both cases confirming address change. 

Oh cool. May I ask where you filed it to? Did you send it into your service center or to another address? 

I-130 (Potomac)

14 minutes ago, shytown said:

Oh cool. May I ask where you filed it to? Did you send it into your service center or to another address? 

Sent to the service center that sent me NOA-1 (I think that was CSC at that time).

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

If you’re a US citizen you do not need to keep updating your address. 

MY JOURNEY INTO GETTING A FIRST-TIME GREEN CARD, RENEWING A GREEN CARD, AND OBTAINING U.S. CITIZENSHIP:

I-130: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/08/23/my-spouse-visa-process-and-timeline-ir1-cr1/ From Colombia 🇨🇴

I-751: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/i-751-joint-petition-to-remove-conditions-on-residence/From Japan 🇯🇵 (Military spouse overseas)

N-400: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2022/08/03/3430/ From Japan 🇯🇵 

BLOG:  https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/inmigr/   

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, valentinasc said:

If you’re a US citizen you do not need to keep updating your address. 

It's needed to receive letters from USCIS to the correct address, like the NOA2.

Timeline
5 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

It's needed to receive letters from USCIS to the correct address, like the NOA2.

Would you also recommend using form I-865?

I-130 (Potomac)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.