FlattyPatty

The impact of the Supreme Court ruling on a same-sex K1

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Had same questions as OP. Fiancée was just approved for K1 visa and will be coming in next month. After seeing so many dang social media posts and articles regarding what Thomas said, started to get really worried. But then I had to tell myself that it's just one justice of nine and it isn't concrete that SCOTUS will be reviewing Obergefell. Anyways, don't lose hope, it'll be alright :)

Spoiler

K-1 Visa (I-129F)                                       AOS (I-485) & EAD (I-765)

2021-04-03: Sent (USPS)                  2022-07-23: Sent (UPS)

2021-04-05: NOA1                              2022-07-25: USCIS Received

2022-03-25: NOA2                             2022-07-28: Received two texts with receipt numbers

2022-04-19: NVC Received               2022-07-29: Check cashed

2022-05-16: Embassy Received       2022-08-01: Received paper notifications

2022-06-24: Interview                       2022-08-04: Received online access code

2022-06-28: Visa Received               2022-08-05: Applied for SSN, CaseTrack notified Bio appt scheduled

:dance:                                                    2022-08-11: Received paper notification for Biometrics

2022-08-12: Received SSN card

2022-08-23: Biometrics appointment

2023-01-12: RFE

2023-01-13: RFE evidence submitted via online account

2023-06-01: EAD Approved, card arrived 06-12 

2023-07-02: AOS Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
15 hours ago, EG&XY said:

Please don’t trivialize the concerns, they are real.

Saying people should live their lives and not worry unnecessarily is not trivializing. The concerns are real so what, people should live their lives based on some event of unknown probability? This is not like the stock market where you can hedge against it.

You either choose to go through with your same sex union which gives you joy, or you don’t because you think it could be overturned. Seems to me a case of worrying over issues you have no control over.

Your choice.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
23 hours ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

Actually that was US v. Windsor, which struck down Section 3 of DOMA of which stopped the Federal Government from recognizing same-sex marriages.

Confused by this and would welcome some education. 

I thought same-sex couples were unable to file for immigration benefits until the Oberfell v Hodges ruling which I think came out in 2015.

US v Windsor ruling came out two years earlier, and I vaguely remember reading about people keenly awaiting the oberfell case to be able to file for their partners to come to the US.

Clarence Thomas also mentioned the revisiting oberfell. Did he say anything about US v Windsor, and how is it relevant?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Windsor was a woman whose wife died and she was trying to claim the spousal exemption from estate tax.   The case ruled that the particular section of DOMA was wrong (and Windsor received a substantial tax refund as a result).  The Wikipedia 

Article  says that after the case, DHS moved to extend benefits to same gender couples.  It doesn’t mention DoS.  

Thomas ruled in the minority  in the Windsor case.  

3 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Confused by this and would welcome some education. 

I thought same-sex couples were unable to file for immigration benefits until the Oberfell v Hodges ruling which I think came out in 2015.

US v Windsor ruling came out two years earlier, and I vaguely remember reading about people keenly awaiting the oberfell case to be able to file for their partners to come to the US.

Clarence Thomas also mentioned the revisiting oberfell. Did he say anything about US v Windsor, and how is it relevant?

I could be mistaken but Obergefell required all 50 states to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. It ended the mish-mash of same-sex marriage legality over the US. Windsor is what changed things at the federal level for same-sex recognition, but Windsor did not result in states being required to issue same-sex marriage licenses. I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to US Immigration at the time, but one would've thought that Windsor would've required DoS and DHS to recognize same-sex marriages for immigration benefits.

While Thomas didn't directly refer to Windsor, I strongly imagine he would include it in his list of cases to review...if that was within his gift, which it is not. Only circumstance that a new ruling could be made is if a new case was presented to the Supreme Court.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

Submitted I-751: 06/08/2023

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

17 hours ago, JoooonMoi said:

Thomas said, started to get really worried. But then I had to tell myself that it's just one justice of nine and it isn't concrete that SCOTUS will be reviewing Obergefell. Anyways, don't lose hope, it'll be alright :)

We’ll, the reality is that there are Five Supremes with ideology and intentions other than current law of the land…and getting USCIS on board with granting same sex benefits took Presidential action….so hopefully voters turn out Because a Good President can keep the Supreme’s Laws in check…

https://www.uscis.gov/family/same-sex-marriages

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

I could be mistaken but Obergefell required all 50 states to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. It ended the mish-mash of same-sex marriage legality over the US. Windsor is what changed things at the federal level for same-sex recognition, but Windsor did not result in states being required to issue same-sex marriage licenses. I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to US Immigration at the time, but one would've thought that Windsor would've required DoS and DHS to recognize same-sex marriages for immigration benefits.

While Thomas didn't directly refer to Windsor, I strongly imagine he would include it in his list of cases to review...if that was within his gift, which it is not. Only circumstance that a new ruling could be made is if a new case was presented to the Supreme Court.

You are right:

https://maxlawinc.com/how-the-legalization-of-same-sex-marriage-nationwide-impacted-immigration-law/

The Windsor decision allowed same sex couples to qualify for immigration benefits to the same extent as heterosexual couples.”

“Within a day of the Windsor ruling, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that it would start to accept same sex green card petitions.”

An additional source:

https://lawprofessors.typepad.com/immigration/2015/06/the-immigration-consequences-of-obergefell-v-hodges.html

The significance of Obergefell was with respect to AOS cases, not consular cases. This explains why some people were awaiting this ruling even after Windsor.

Under certain situations immigrants who reside in the U.S. can adjust their status if they are in a bona fide, valid marriage to a U.S. citizen. It is no longer an impediment that they are homosexual and living in the U.S. in a state which doesn’t recognize gay marriage.”

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.