natanicole

2021 taxes have not been processed

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have an interview coming up in July in the Guatemalan embassy, I filed my 2021 taxes already but on the IRS website it says that my tax return has not been processed. I spoke to someone from the irs and the lady told me that they are experiencing backlog and since i filed by paper its probably going to take longer. So my question here is:

1. Should I take the 2021 1040 for proof that I did file my taxes this year?

2. Do you think I'll have problems presenting the 2020 tax return?

3. Since I do have a co-sponsor do I have to take their 2021 tax return also?

13 minutes ago, natanicole said:

1.  Yes.  Bring the W2 as well.

2.  No harm bringing the 2020 returns, but the consulate will want the 2021 tax filings.

3.  Yes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
35 minutes ago, natanicole said:

Hello everyone,

I have an interview coming up in July in the Guatemalan embassy, I filed my 2021 taxes already but on the IRS website it says that my tax return has not been processed. I spoke to someone from the irs and the lady told me that they are experiencing backlog and since i filed by paper its probably going to take longer. So my question here is:

1.  Take a copy of the complete 2021 tax package you filed.....and supporting documents such as W-2s, 1099s, etc.

2.  2021 is the latest tax return you have filed......

3.  Yes.  Take the joint sponsor's 2021 tax documents as well. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

joint sponsor provides same info u do

I 864 (a ) and IRS transcripts for 2021 (or 1040 plus any W2's, 1099 or 1099R)

it may help to bring a letter from employer with current yearly income projected 

Plus print out the IRS site that says "2021 taxes not yet processed/  it may say 2021 received 

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
6 hours ago, natanicole said:

Hello everyone,

This is a copy/paste from a post I wrote a month ago.

New tax return needed for interview? I-864

This question is often asked when interviews fall in April or May, right after a new tax filing season deadline. The guidance for interviewing officers is found in the Foreign Affairs Manual. It indicates that the “most recent tax return” is the one filed prior to signing the I-864.  It does not indicate a newer return must be supplied at the interview if a new tax season has closed before they got around to interviewing you. 

Here is the whole document for reference:

9 FAM 601.14  AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT https://fam.state.gov/search/viewer?format=html&query=I-864&links=864&url=/FAM/09FAM/09FAM060114.html#M601_14_13

There are excerpts from the FAM in my post found here if you want to read the short version https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/783102-new-tax-return-needed-for-interview-i-864/

Basically the tax return required by law is the one submitted to NVC  with the I-864(s). 

22 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

This is a copy/paste from a post I wrote a month ago.

New tax return needed for interview? I-864

This question is often asked when interviews fall in April or May, right after a new tax filing season deadline. The guidance for interviewing officers is found in the Foreign Affairs Manual. It indicates that the “most recent tax return” is the one filed prior to signing the I-864.  It does not indicate a newer return must be supplied at the interview if a new tax season has closed before they got around to interviewing you. 

Here is the whole document for reference:

9 FAM 601.14  AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT https://fam.state.gov/search/viewer?format=html&query=I-864&links=864&url=/FAM/09FAM/09FAM060114.html#M601_14_13

There are excerpts from the FAM in my post found here if you want to read the short version https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/783102-new-tax-return-needed-for-interview-i-864/

Basically the tax return required by law is the one submitted to NVC  with the I-864(s). 

Thank you for this information :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 minutes ago, natanicole said:

Thank you for this information :)

I don’t know anything about your consulate, but the ones interviewing in London are not being asked for anything further than what was submitted to NVC with the I-864. It’s in their file and they they don’t have to bring copies or newer evidence. I suppose your consulate could ask for anything they choose, but the law says what you submitted as most recent when you signed the I-864 is valid.  

hello everyone,

I posted about this same topic not that long ago, long story short I have my interview in July, however when I posted that I didn't receive the embassy's instructions. They sent me the instructions on Friday. So basically they are requesting the tax transcripts for the most recent tax year to be uploaded to the CEAC website. However my 2021 taxes have not been processed yet so I do not have the transcripts available.

Can I just upload the 2020 tax transcript and the 2021 1040 and my W2 to the CEAC and write a letter explaining that my taxes have not been processed yet due to the backlog?

I am confused on what to do here. 

Edited by natanicole

Timeline

I wouldn't file the 2020 transcript.  I would file a copy of your complete 20211 tax package including 1040, all schedules, W-2s, 1099s, etc.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

I wouldn't file the 2020 transcript.  I would file a copy of your complete 20211 tax package including 1040, all schedules, W-2s, 1099s, etc.  

Sorry for the ignorance, what are schedules?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, natanicole said:

Sorry for the ignorance, what are schedules?

Schedule A for itemization...... Schedule C for profit/loss.....etc.  They are tax forms, other than a 1040, which some people have to complete.