TDA

F1 visa while waiting for CR1 interview.

14 posts in this topic

I got DQed last year September. While waiting for my spousal visa interview, I applied to a top school in the US thinking that I will already be in the US by the time the school resumes. The school is resuming in September and there is no sign that I will get the spousal interview done any time soon.

My questions are:

1. What are the chances of getting the F1 visa?

2. If I get the F1 visa, do I have to come back to interview for CR1 or do change of status in the US?

3. If I don't get the F1 visa, will it in anyway affect my CR1 visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. That depends.  What do you plan on showing the consulate to indicate that you WILL return to your home country if you receive an F-1 visa?  Do you plan on leaving?  Will your husband return with you? 

2. using a non immigrant visa, like an F1, to adjust status in the US is fraud and no one will advise this. 

3. no unless you intentionally lie or misrepresent yourself.

good luck 

Edit to add - what country are you from?

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As a side note how would you expect the chance to be calculated?

Some sort of secret equation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
13 hours ago, TDA said:

What are the chances of getting the F1 visa?

You have shown immigrant intent with the spousal visa process.  Your chances of getting an F-1 hinges on convincing the officer that you will return to your country.  Your chances are very low for getting an F-1 in my opinion.

12 hours ago, canadian_wife said:

1. That depends.  What do you plan on showing the consulate to indicate that you WILL return to your home country if you receive an F-1 visa?  Do you plan on leaving?  Will your husband return with you? 

2. using a non immigrant visa, like an F1, to adjust status in the US is fraud and no one will advise this. 

3. no unless you intentionally lie or misrepresent yourself.

good luck 

Edit to add - what country are you from?

Thank you for your reply, I am from Nigeria.

1. My husband is not planning to come to Nigeria because he was born and brought up in the US.

I plan to come back if I am yet to get through with my CR1 but I know it will be difficult to prove that to the CO.

2. If I get the F1 visa and I am able to enter the US, what would you advise that I do with my CR1 interview?

12 hours ago, Boiler said:

As a side note how would you expect the chance to be calculated?

Some sort of secret equation.

Lol, I just wanted to know if anyone has been in my shoes before.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
15 hours ago, TDA said:

I got DQed last year September. While waiting for my spousal visa interview, I applied to a top school in the US thinking that I will already be in the US by the time the school resumes. The school is resuming in September and there is no sign that I will get the spousal interview done any time soon.

My questions are:

1. What are the chances of getting the F1 visa?

2. If I get the F1 visa, do I have to come back to interview for CR1 or do change of status in the US?

3. If I don't get the F1 visa, will it in anyway affect my CR1 visa?

Unfortunately, covid messed up your plans. You can certainly try and get F1 visa but since it's a non-immigrant visa you must be able to convince the CO that you'll return after your studies. Some schools may allow you to defer for another year. Check with the school to see if that can be an option.

2 hours ago, TDA said:

Thank you for your reply, I am from Nigeria.

1. My husband is not planning to come to Nigeria because he was born and brought up in the US.

I plan to come back if I am yet to get through with my CR1 but I know it will be difficult to prove that to the CO.

2. If I get the F1 visa and I am able to enter the US, what would you advise that I do with my CR1 interview?

Lol, I just wanted to know if anyone has been in my shoes before.

Your question #2 makes it pretty obvious that you’d have no intention of returning home on the F1, which is a requirement for getting that visa.

You need to wait for the proper nonimmigrant visa like everyone else.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You're not getting an F-1 interview to make it to this school year, unfortunately. Just defer the semester and save the $$

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

6 hours ago, nastra30 said:

Unfortunately, covid messed up your plans. You can certainly try and get F1 visa but since it's a non-immigrant visa you must be able to convince the CO that you'll return after your studies. Some schools may allow you to defer for another year. Check with the school to see if that can be an option.

Yeah, Covid really messed things up.

Thank you for your advice.

5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Your question #2 makes it pretty obvious that you’d have no intention of returning home on the F1, which is a requirement for getting that visa.

You need to wait for the proper nonimmigrant visa like everyone else.

Ok, I will do just that.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Timona said:

You're not getting an F-1 interview to make it to this school year, unfortunately. Just defer the semester and save the $$

Thank you for the advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to a top school in the US

If it's truly a top school and a very competitive program you could get lucky with F1. I do know someone in your situation who did got the F1, but it was an Ivy league school for a Ph.D. program with full scholarship & fellowship. You could try.

However, I recommend asking the program if you can defer until next year. In a way, to start a program you have to be in the right mind frame and it could be a very big move (start classes, new home, moving in with your partner), plus having to go through AOS. It might be too much and distract from your studies. 

On 6/19/2022 at 10:56 PM, Coco8 said:

If it's truly a top school and a very competitive program you could get lucky with F1. I do know someone in your situation who did got the F1, but it was an Ivy league school for a Ph.D. program with full scholarship & fellowship. You could try.

However, I recommend asking the program if you can defer until next year. In a way, to start a program you have to be in the right mind frame and it could be a very big move (start classes, new home, moving in with your partner), plus having to go through AOS. It might be too much and distract from your studies. 

Thank you some, I really appreciate your advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.