MLGood

CAN I GET SSN EARLIER ONLY BY SHOWING STAMPED IMMIGRANT VISA AS A PROOF OF PERMANENT RESIDENCY?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone! 

I arrived in the US one week ago. (IR1) 
We are waiting for my permanent resident card and SSN to arrive in the mail (the fee was paid 16 days before my arrival) I heard that it can take up to 90 days to be mailed to me, and I didn’t want to wait that long to start working. 
Our question is: as the now stamped immigrant visa is valid as a proof of permanent residency for one year after arrival, can I go in person to a SS office and be able to get my SSN earlier by showing them my passport? Or do I need to wait for my physical GC to arrive? 
I appreciate your help! 
Thank you! 

Edited by MLGood

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Did you ask for a SSN on the DS-260?  If yes, then you have to wait for it to be mailed to you.  SSA was notified when you got admitted to the US.  If you go see them in the first month, they will turn you away and tell you to wait.  

The immigrant fee that you paid is for the plastic green card.  Has nothing to do with SSA being notified that you entered the US.  Entering the US on your immigrant visa triggers them notifyiing SSA that you need a SSN.

If you didn't ask for a SSN on the DS-260, you can certainly try to go to SSA to apply for one.  

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Officially you need to wait 3 weeks for the SSN card after arrival in the US, if you selected that you wanted one.   After the 3 weeks you can inquire with SSA - they will let you know if the request for your SSN is in their system or not.  If yes, then they can give you an approximation of when it would arrive.  If the request is not in their system, they will provide you with instructions on how to apply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You don't have to wait to go to work

The I 551 stamp on your visa allows u to start as soon as u enter the US

any facility that hires u has till the end of the quarter to have your SS # to turn in your withholdings

Timeline
3 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Did you ask for a SSN on the DS-260?  If yes, then you have to wait for it to be mailed to you.  SSA was notified when you got admitted to the US.  If you go see them in the first month, they will turn you away and tell you to wait.  

The immigrant fee that you paid is for the plastic green card.  Has nothing to do with SSA being notified that you entered the US.  Entering the US on your immigrant visa triggers them notifyiing SSA that you need a SSN.

If you didn't ask for a SSN on the DS-260, you can certainly try to go to SSA to apply for one.  

Hello! Thanks for your reply! 
I did requested on the DS-260. I thought it would be faster this way. 

Oh okay. I thought they were related. 
So for the best two weeks there’s no much I can do about it. 

Thank you! 

Timeline
2 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Officially you need to wait 3 weeks for the SSN card after arrival in the US, if you selected that you wanted one.   After the 3 weeks you can inquire with SSA - they will let you know if the request for your SSN is in their system or not.  If yes, then they can give you an approximation of when it would arrive.  If the request is not in their system, they will provide you with instructions on how to apply.

Hi, thanks for your reply! 
So I can only check if it is in their system after 3 weeks, correct? 
I requested on my DS-260. 
Thank you! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

You don't have to wait to go to work

The I 551 stamp on your visa allows u to start as soon as u enter the US

any facility that hires u has till the end of the quarter to have your SS # to turn in your withholdings

This is great news!!! The main reason why I’m concerned about it, it’s because I want to start working as soon as possible. 
I thought I wasn’t going to be hired without the SSN in hands. 
Thank you!  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
41 minutes ago, MLGood said:

This is great news!!! The main reason why I’m concerned about it, it’s because I want to start working as soon as possible. 
I thought I wasn’t going to be hired without the SSN in hands. 
Thank you!  

US quarters are end of March, June,  September and December and employers have till ends of April,  July,  October and January to submit the withholdings 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, MLGood said:

Hi, thanks for your reply! 
So I can only check if it is in their system after 3 weeks, correct? 
I requested on my DS-260. 
Thank you! 

Yep

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you look at the I-9 instructions, your machine readable I-551 in your passport serves to prove identity and legal presence in the US.  So, that can be used as your evidence to begin work.  As @JeanneAdil pointed out, the employer will need the SSN by a certain date to send your tax withholdings to the IRS.  Having only arrived a week ago, I'd definitely give the SSA a bit more time.  They are a government agency, after all and government agencies are rarely known for their stellar speed! ;) 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

• 2 months later...
Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

@MLGood Adding to the comments above, in case you start working before your SSN is issued, you can later create an account at the SSA and check if the paycheck withholdings have been credited. My wife started working before she got her SSN and I realized her first employer withholdings have not been recorded, so she'll need to send her W2s to the SSA to have them credited. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.